February 13 Deadline for 110 Volt Upgrade

This section is for 110 Volt users all over the world USA/Canada for example

Moderators: malfukt, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Nasz

lemmy999

Post by lemmy999 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:35 pm

If anyone deals with Oschner make 100% sure they have your address correct. I was wondering why it was taking mine so long so I called them up and got the UPS tracking #. There was a not on the UPS tracking info that said it needed the correct address. I called UPS and I live on BLARNEY LANE and they had STANLEY LANE. Also had the house number wrong. Thankfully I will get to pick it up at the UPS building today.

Huey Lewis

Post by Huey Lewis » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:20 pm

Still waiting here in Canada. This is getting kinda ridiculous at this point. If they are showing up in the US then why isn't Lambert getting them out to us Canadians? I already made one phone call about them that got me no where cause the rep didn't know what was going on.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:51 pm

Neil Peart wrote:Still waiting here in Canada. This is getting kinda ridiculous at this point. If they are showing up in the US then why isn't Lambert getting them out to us Canadians? I already made one phone call about them that got me no where cause the rep didn't know what was going on.
Is it possible that Lambert's is working through dealers rather than shipping directly to customers. Ochsner is shipping directly in the US.

Huey Lewis

Post by Huey Lewis » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:48 pm

Ya, Lambert is sending it to the dealer, but that shouldn't slow it up too much. I think they're a bunch of confused people. 4 weeks ago the Lambert distribution center called and asked which dealer I wanted to pick it up at. They said I should see it in about a week. A week and half ago I was on multiplayer with a guy that works at Tacx and he said that Lambert shouldn't make a promise like that cause Tacx hadn't even sent them out and they would be air-mailing them shortly. Part of the problem is that Lambert has a monopoly in Canada and they can pretty much do and say what they want. I'm just venting here. ...tired of losing races cause I get stuck at 40km/h.

sherbornpeddler

Post by sherbornpeddler » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:31 am

lemmy999 wrote:If anyone deals with Oschner make 100% sure they have your address correct. I was wondering why it was taking mine so long so I called them up and got the UPS tracking #. There was a not on the UPS tracking info that said it needed the correct address. I called UPS and I live on BLARNEY LANE and they had STANLEY LANE. Also had the house number wrong. Thankfully I will get to pick it up at the UPS building today.
Lemmy, who did you call? What number?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:38 am

sherbornpeddler wrote:
lemmy999 wrote:If anyone deals with Oschner make 100% sure they have your address correct. I was wondering why it was taking mine so long so I called them up and got the UPS tracking #. There was a not on the UPS tracking info that said it needed the correct address. I called UPS and I live on BLARNEY LANE and they had STANLEY LANE. Also had the house number wrong. Thankfully I will get to pick it up at the UPS building today.
I believe that Ochsner is personally calling everyone to get credit card and shipping information. They are using the information you submitted when you signed up for the upgrade program. If you have not heard from Ochsner, give them a call. Ochsner is a Tacx US distributor listed on the Tacx website.

lemmy999

Post by lemmy999 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:33 pm

sherbornpeddler wrote:
I called Oschner USA to get the tracking # (same # I called to give CCard info).

Frisco

Post by Frisco » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:08 am

The vast majority of the time, my new unit registers 0W of power when I ride and vibrates. It almost feels like I'm riding on a cobblestone road. When this happens, the cadence, speed, and heart rate data is logged fine, but the power sits there at 0W. Occasionally for no obvious reason it works ok, although even though I went through the calibration it feels significantly easier than it did with the old hardware. Does this mean I need a replacement replacement unit or is this how the redesigned hardware is supposed to work?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:36 am

Frisco wrote:The vast majority of the time, my new unit registers 0W of power when I ride and vibrates. It almost feels like I'm riding on a cobblestone road. When this happens, the cadence, speed, and heart rate data is logged fine, but the power sits there at 0W. Occasionally for no obvious reason it works ok, although even though I went through the calibration it feels significantly easier than it did with the old hardware. Does this mean I need a replacement replacement unit or is this how the redesigned hardware is supposed to work?
You have a problem. It should not do that.

VT Hillclimber

Post by VT Hillclimber » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:45 pm

Are other people getting vibrations from the new units. Mine doesn't feel like cobblestones, but it has a noticable vibration into the frame and handlebars of my bike and seems to whine. This is in comparison to my previous unit was very quiet. Just a nice whirring wind sound. And no noticable vibration. Is this something that might settle out? Only did one 20 mile ride on it so far, but I seem to notice the most when pedaling at about 150W and around 15 mph (slight uphill ride).

Frisco

Post by Frisco » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:51 pm

When mine goes to 0W and starts vibrating, it also automatically triggers the PAUSE menu on the screen as if I've stopped pedaling completely. It should be obvious if any of you have the same issue.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:20 am

As indicated earlier, I tested the pre-production 110 volt upgrade unit for about 8 months and did not have any problems and thought it was comparable to the 220 volt units. I also purchased the $225 upgrade kit for my original unit and got delivery from Ochsner a couple of days ago after my phone call and a one-week wait.

I have installed the new production unit and done a very short test (emphasize short) on TTS. So far, I have not noticed any problems, and my unit seems comparable to the pre-production test unit. Wattage and calibration appear normal. This resistance unit might be slightly noisier than my test unit, but not noisier than the original Fortius resistance unit. I found that my original unit got a lot noisier as time went on, although the test unit I had has been pretty quiet and constant over the last 8 months.

Anyway, it looks like the weather here will not be great, so we will likely do a couple of longer morning online Netathlon rides where I can test it more thoroughly and do a comparison with my PowerTap.

If people are having 0 wattage readings, substantial bumpiness, or very loud noises, something may be wrong. Be sure that you have reinstalled the resistance unit in the same bolt hole as the one you are removing (forward hole for standard 700 wheels) and the bolt is reasonably tight. Improper installation can cause lots of problems, including noise. I would be interested to know if people who are having problems have the old blue handlebar controller or the new white with blue ring as well as whether they have updated their software to the latest version.

Tony Alaska USA

Post by Tony Alaska USA » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:58 am

Also make sure to switch out the powerback silver box, DO NOT use the old box with the new MB. I would assume a lot of the hardware fix was in the silver box anyway. I have the blue handlebar controler but have not put the new MB on as of yet. This weekend I will and I hope it does not do what some have listed here, but I will post my results
Ride Hard or Go Home

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:31 pm

We rode 26 miles with our usual group on Netathlon this morning and the new 110 volt upgrade seemed to perform in a very similar way to the pre-production model we tested for 8 months. Smoothness and noise seem the same, so I really do not have any complaints. Because I had done a cold calibration, the wattage was 7% too high compared to our PowerTap, but I got that adjusted after it was warm.

One thing that I have always done that is quite a bit different than the Tacx recommendation is to use only around 1.5 turns on on the tension knob. The combination of that together with 150 psi in the tires, a very radially-true wheel, and a Conti orange trainer tire keep things pretty smooth. If we were do rides with slopes over +10%, we would probably need more tension. Our calibration values end up around -2.0. The tension knob is actually a more sensitive adjustment and can be a little hard to find because of the backlash in the coarse threads of the adjusting bolt. It would be a big improvement if Tacx were to use a fine-thread machine bolt.

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:46 pm

mcorn wrote:As indicated earlier, I tested the pre-production 110 volt upgrade unit for about 8 months and did not have any problems and thought it was comparable to the 220 volt units. I also purchased the $225 upgrade kit for my original unit and got delivery from Ochsner a couple of days ago after my phone call and a one-week wait.

I have installed the new production unit and done a very short test (emphasize short) on TTS. So far, I have not noticed any problems, and my unit seems comparable to the pre-production test unit. Wattage and calibration appear normal. This resistance unit might be slightly noisier than my test unit, but not noisier than the original Fortius resistance unit. I found that my original unit got a lot noisier as time went on, although the test unit I had has been pretty quiet and constant over the last 8 months.

Anyway, it looks like the weather here will not be great, so we will likely do a couple of longer morning online Netathlon rides where I can test it more thoroughly and do a comparison with my PowerTap.

If people are having 0 wattage readings, substantial bumpiness, or very loud noises, something may be wrong. Be sure that you have reinstalled the resistance unit in the same bolt hole as the one you are removing (forward hole for standard 700 wheels) and the bolt is reasonably tight. Improper installation can cause lots of problems, including noise. I would be interested to know if people who are having problems have the old blue handlebar controller or the new white with blue ring as well as whether they have updated their software to the latest version.
Michael, Did you do a "programs uninstall" of version 2.03 prior to installing the new software with the GPS options on it? Are there any online updates to the new software that I need to download and install prior to running the version 2 110v power supply and motorbrake? Thanks. Dan

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:44 pm

DL Drafting wrote:Michael, Did you do a "programs uninstall" of version 2.03 prior to installing the new software with the GPS options on it? Are there any online updates to the new software that I need to download and install prior to running the version 2 110v power supply and motorbrake? Thanks. Dan
Dan-

No, you do not need to remove the Fortius VR software in order to install the TTS software. Just run the TTS installation. You will also have to go to the Google Earth website and install Version 4.3 of Google Earth (do NOT install the beta Version 5.0 as it will not work correctly). After installing TTS, you will need to be sure you have an account on BikeNet. There should be updates available for TTS after you install. If updates do not appear or will not install, go to the updater subfolder in TTS and run the "TacxUpdate.exe" file manually. Please note that TTS takes awhile to install, so be patient and follow all instructions.

You can install the new hardware without making any software changes at all. You can immediately run the new hardware with your Fortius VR program. You do not have to install TTS to do that.

Do not try to update the firmware to your new hardware. It has the latest and some people end up disabling their units when they try.

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Thank you, Michael. Tremendously helpful. Glad that the new Tacx Trainer Software doesn't need to be installed to run the new version 2 equipment. I may do it that way for starters. I suppose I will figure out how to establish an account on BikeNet. Is that a new thing? I really need to start getting dropped by you guys on Netathlon. Looking forward to it once I get everything figured out. Have a great day. Dan
From the Great State Fair City of Sedalia, Missouri, home of the lowest gasoline prices in the world. $2.84.9 a gallon this morning.

Frisco

Post by Frisco » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:17 am

I just pulled it apart and set it all back up again, and nothing is really different. I managed to get it to work on a catalyst watt/time program I setup (although my 100W warmup step felt much easier than in the past), but then I tried several different RLVs in both TTS and the old Fortius software and had the 0W problem. When this problem is occurring, the screen still keeps the video moving with non-zero speed, cadence, and heart rate. Tonight, unlike the last couple days, it didn't consistently pop up the pause window. Maybe this is related - the calibration on the new hardware has been coming in consistently around ~+10 to +15, and in the past it was always around 0 to -3. I'll screw around with it a little more tomorrow and hope this is just a user error.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:19 pm

Frisco wrote: the calibration on the new hardware has been coming in consistently around ~+10 to +15, and in the past it was always around 0 to -3.
I can't imagine the calibration being in this range. How many turns on the knob? If it is the normal 1 to 3 turns and everything is assembled correctly, it sounds like a major problem. Having way too much tension would cause this.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:00 pm

mcorn wrote:We rode 26 miles with our usual group on Netathlon this morning and the new 110 volt upgrade seemed to perform in a very similar way to the pre-production model we tested for 8 months. Smoothness and noise seem the same, so I really do not have any complaints. Because I had done a cold calibration, the wattage was 7% too high compared to our PowerTap, but I got that adjusted after it was warm.

One thing that I have always done that is quite a bit different than the Tacx recommendation is to use only around 1.5 turns on on the tension knob. The combination of that together with 150 psi in the tires, a very radially-true wheel, and a Conti orange trainer tire keep things pretty smooth. If we were do rides with slopes over +10%, we would probably need more tension. Our calibration values end up around -2.0. The tension knob is actually a more sensitive adjustment and can be a little hard to find because of the backlash in the coarse threads of the adjusting bolt. It would be a big improvement if Tacx were to use a fine-thread machine bolt.
Did another ride this morning on Netathlon with the new upgrade unit and everything worked just fine. No vibrations and noise levels are just like the other units for me. After recalibrating when warm yesterday, average wattage for the entire ride on the Fortius was nearly identical to average wattage on the PowerTap.

Return to “110V Fortius - Cosmos”