February 13 Deadline for 110 Volt Upgrade

This section is for 110 Volt users all over the world USA/Canada for example

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

lemmy999

Post by lemmy999 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:19 pm

It seems like the Canadian people are much closer to receiving there updates. I have not seen or heard of one person from the USA having any sort of contact at all since the email mentioning the extra RLV.

mlang46

Post by mlang46 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:58 pm

lemmy999 wrote:It seems like the Canadian people are much closer to receiving there updates. I have not seen or heard of one person from the USA having any sort of contact at all since the email mentioning the extra RLV.
I registered 2 months ago but have hear nothing since.
tacx Imagic fortius owner

ricswika

Post by ricswika » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:52 pm

Is the time of year when I'm thinking about buying new wheels, not putting more money into my trainer. I hope they give us as much time to order as we gave them. Probably nothing to worry about, at this rate we won't see anything until next winter when its time to go inside again.

Frisco

Post by Frisco » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:14 am

I got my call today and the unit is shipping tomorrow

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:20 am

Yes, I understand that Ochsner is calling people in the US about their 110 volt upgrade and getting ready to ship.

Huey Lewis

Post by Huey Lewis » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:22 am

Three weeks ago I got a call and said I should have it in a week. Time to just start riding outside and forget indoor training.

lemmy999

Post by lemmy999 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Yep, got my call yesterday too. And mine supposedly shipped out today. I should have it in 1-2 days.

gvf

Post by gvf » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:03 am

Just got mine! New motor brake...new roller...4 RLV's and new trainer software. Pre-paid return!

Those on the inside (mcorn?)...anything special we need to do here for the install? I think I'm at the older 2.0 software but the old motor brake is current.

I was thinking I would:
1) Upgrade to 2.03 and test the current setup.
2) Install the new brake/roller
3) Check for any motor brake updates
4) Install trainer software
5) Test

Make sense/am I missing anything? Thanks!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:04 am

gvf wrote:Just got mine! New motor brake...new roller...4 RLV's and new trainer software. Pre-paid return!

Those on the inside (mcorn?)...anything special we need to do here for the install? I think I'm at the older 2.0 software but the old motor brake is current.

I was thinking I would:
1) Upgrade to 2.03 and test the current setup.
2) Install the new brake/roller
3) Check for any motor brake updates
4) Install trainer software
5) Test

Make sense/am I missing anything? Thanks!
No reason to check for motorbrake firmware updates, as there are none. Some people have scrambled their eeproms trying to update, so don't. You should be able to swap out the power supply and motorbrake immediately, but I would definitely recommend updating to the latest software, as there were significant technical improvements after 2.0. I would also recommend downloading the updates and manually applying them to be sure they have all be done. You need to apply each update in sequence without skipping anything. Each update has both a menu and VR component that are applied separately.

gvf

Post by gvf » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:08 am

Excellent, thanks. I'll give it a whirl...maybe tonite since I'm itching to see how it does. :)

gvf

Post by gvf » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:47 am

Well, I hit 35.7mph and 297 watts on a -4.5% grade. I averaged about 130 watts at varying speeds/output over the 2.5 mile downhill with about a -3% average grade! So I'd say it's a world of difference!

I'm installing the new TTS now so nothing to report there.

One question...I've never purchased or activated multiplayer. How do I go about activating the 1 yr free license? How does the system know I have a free year? I didn't receive any keys or anything.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:21 am

gvf wrote:Well, I hit 35.7mph and 297 watts on a -4.5% grade. I averaged about 130 watts at varying speeds/output over the 2.5 mile downhill with about a -3% average grade! So I'd say it's a world of difference!

One question...I've never purchased or activated multiplayer. How do I go about activating the 1 yr free license? How does the system know I have a free year? I didn't receive any keys or anything.
If it does not automatically appear in the software, you will probably need to send an email to support@tacx.nl and explain that you are a 110 volt upgrade entitled to a free year. You need to tell them the email address under which you are registered and the serial number of your handlebar controller. You need to be sure to create an account on Bikenet so that your user information syncrhonizes with the TTS software.

gvf

Post by gvf » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:41 am

mcorn wrote:
gvf wrote:Well, I hit 35.7mph and 297 watts on a -4.5% grade. I averaged about 130 watts at varying speeds/output over the 2.5 mile downhill with about a -3% average grade! So I'd say it's a world of difference!

If it does not automatically appear in the software, you will probably need to send an email to support@tacx.nl and explain that you are a 110 volt upgrade entitled to a free year. You need to tell them the email address under which you are registered and the serial number of your handlebar controller. You need to be sure to create an account on Bikenet so that your user information syncrhonizes with the TTS software.
Great, thanks!

lemmy999

Post by lemmy999 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:16 pm

So, gvf, what was the extra RLV they tossed in?

gvf

Post by gvf » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:19 pm

lemmy999 wrote:So, gvf, what was the extra RLV they tossed in?
If I recall it came with Gavia, Roth, Mortirolo and the Grossglockner. I had them all already. :( The TTS is pretty cool tho!

I will say that descending was much smoother and when I was putting out heavy watts on a descent the numbers *seemed* to match similar efforts on a flat/ascent. Either way it was certainly closer to accurate than the previous wattage!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:55 pm

gvf wrote:
If I recall it came with Gavia, Roth, Mortirolo and the Grossglockner. I had them all already. :( The TTS is pretty cool tho!

I will say that descending was much smoother and when I was putting out heavy watts on a descent the numbers *seemed* to match similar efforts on a flat/ascent. Either way it was certainly closer to accurate than the previous wattage!
The performance of the updated 110 volt unit is very comparable to the existing 220 volt unit (both of which I have used). The downhill performance of either unit is still not comparable to what you would experience in real life. For example, on a -10% grade you can easily go 50 mph in real life if you have the nerve, but that really is not feasible on either voltage Fortius. The main advantage of the updated system is that it is smooth throughout the downhill range and at upper speeds. The old 110 volt system actually started getting jerky at around 22 mph and got fairly intolerable at 26 mph. In addition, the wattage readings on the old 110 volt unit were way off at higher speeds (regardless of slope). I have been testing the new 110 volt system for 8 months, and all things considered, I think it is pretty satisfactory and a huge improvement over the old one.

gvf

Post by gvf » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:02 pm

mcorn wrote:
gvf wrote:

The performance of the updated 110 volt unit is very comparable to the existing 220 volt unit (both of which I have used). The downhill performance of either unit is still not comparable to what you would experience in real life. For example, on a -10% grade you can easily go 50 mph in real life if you have the nerve, but that really is not feasible on either voltage Fortius. The main advantage of the updated system is that it is smooth throughout the downhill range and at upper speeds. The old 110 volt system actually started getting jerky at around 22 mph and got fairly intolerable at 26 mph. In addition, the wattage readings on the old 110 volt unit were way off at higher speeds (regardless of slope). I have been testing the new 110 volt system for 8 months, and all things considered, I think it is pretty satisfactory and a huge improvement over the old one.
I definitely agree...even at 30+ mph it's smooth which it never was at 22mph.

lemmy999

Post by lemmy999 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:55 pm

I can't wait. I should get mine today. It took them long enough, but Tacx did end up taking care of us. I think $225 is definitely a fair price considering what is included (software) and the fact that it includes shipping to us and shipping back of the old unit.

colton330

Post by colton330 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:48 pm

Hey Guys,

Sounds like the upgrade is working well. Looking forward to hearing from our distributor in Canada (Lambert) on delivery. I have yet to hear anything from them yet. Hopefully soon.....waiting patiently. Anyone else in Canada receive theirs yet?
C

Fortius Magical Man

Post by Fortius Magical Man » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:08 pm

UPDATE INFORMATION
1. you do not need to update the motorbrake. this has the latest version 0.10.7 !
2. You do not need to send support@tacx.nl to extend your license. We have already done this for you (that is why we needed you USB interface nr). if you do not see it in the Fortius Software, just update you software to version 2.03. If you still do not see the extension, then send a mail to support@tacx.nl

.. tha't's it

Return to “110V Fortius - Cosmos”