Fortius 110 - Brake hiccups and now no speed reported

This section is for 110 Volt users all over the world USA/Canada for example

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

brycebaird

Fortius 110 - Brake hiccups and now no speed reported

Post by brycebaird » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:49 am

checked the forum, checked my cables -- everything looks good. Has been hiccupping for months -- did it again tonight, but now it won't report any speed. Cadence sensor is in place. it did some extensive grinding on a down hill -- should have been going 26 mph, but was reporting 9 -- stopped since it was "grinding" rather than hiccupping, and now no speed.

Any thoughts? Is this what they talk about when they talk about "fried" units?

malfukt

Re: Fortius 110 - Brake hiccups and now no speed reported

Post by malfukt » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Could be build up of rubber behind roller (use thin piece metal/plastic insert in gap & push through) although "grinding" does sound ominous..easy enough to strip down & see if anything come adrift inside or bearing maybe collapsed..remove the black grill(plastic) end caps, torx head bit required..due to magnet inside it will have somee resistance as you try to pull apart..

Try these first before giving up on it..
it could even be metal sleeve around roller has parted from polyurethane also repairable..there is topic in one of the fortius brake forums re: this subject
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:09 pm

6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:26 pm

brycebaird wrote:stopped since it was "grinding" rather than hiccupping, and now no speed.
Could you describe this further? This sounds mechanical to me and not a good sign at all.

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:34 pm

presume you didnt read this part of answer:
although "grinding" does sound ominous..easy enough to strip down & see if anything come adrift inside or bearing maybe collapsed.
Also links posted to strip down of brake & roller repair links posted
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:04 pm

I can read and I was thinking the same thing, but I guess I was more interested in having him elaborate a bit rather than guess about the meaning of the word. My experience on the forum is there can be quite a difference between what I imagine and what is actually happening.

brycebaird

Post by brycebaird » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi -- thanks for the responses so far:

So i haven't been on the trainer much recently -- mostly just my wife, and she reported these momentary periods where the resistence changes (becomes much harder). I thought it may have had to do with a bad cog i'm aware of on the cassette, or perhaps bad pressure in the tire as she often forgets to fill the tire.
So i was on it last night and learned what she was talking about with these momentary resistence changes, which i called "hiccups" in my post because that's what a lot of people seemed to be reffering to them as.
I was riding in TTS4, she rides in TTS3, which eliminated my first thought that perhaps it was a software issue.
Anyway, i was riding a gps route with a steep hill and then a steep descent. TTS was acting a little funny in that it was acting like it was going to pause (the pop up would appear) but then went away -- the cadence sensor was ok -- that's always my first check. I got the hiccups every now and then. As I was decsending, i was doing speed in the 26 range, but then "grinding" noise would kick in and it would drop to 9 mph. It would suddently release and go back to the 20's, but then kick in again. and drop to 9. I the sound was similar to the brief sound it would make during a "hiccup" but now it was continuous. Because it was continuous, i decided to stop. After I stoped, I tried to calibrate, and that is when i learned the the spped wasn't registring. I tried it in TTS 3 and TT4 -- same result. I tried an RLV, but it never registered any movement (speed) (or cadence, for that matter). Hopped on the forum to look for leads -- i know the fortius is notorius for brake issues. Was hopeful that it was just a loose connection wire, but no dice. Opened up the motor break adapter (or at least the black sides on each side) and saw nothing "obvious". Nothing smelled bad, no sign of anything melting. hooked it all back up again, but no speed. TTS recognizes the motor brake, and if i turn off the adapter it recgognizes that it is off. I saved my imagic, so i'm wondering if i can use my imagic with a fortius blue-and-white head.

brycebaird

Post by brycebaird » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:42 pm

thanks for the links - I will pursue them -- but it looks like I can swap in my i magic roller for the time being and use it with my blue and white head? I may actually even ultimately prefer it as i just havent gotten used to coasting

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:08 pm

Bryce-

It is always possible that there are multiple things happening at once. The "grinding" you describe might be the metal sleeve on the roller beginning to loosen and might not have anything to do with the other problems (Mal provided the link for fixing the loose sleeve). If this is a fairly old unit, it is fairly likely the sleeve will have loosened.

The intermittent braking is usually the result of cadence not working or a loose wire in the pigtail (mostly happens on 220 volt units). If you are confident that you have ruled out these two potential causes, you might have a failing power supply. The lack of speed also suggests that. In addition, a bad data cable between the brake and handlebar controller could cause these. Does the green LED ever stop flashing. A bad data cable can cause that.

Yes, you can substitute an Imagic brake and use the same white with blue ring controller. In general, the Imagic is a much more reliable unit.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:25 pm

brycebaird wrote:Anyway, i was riding a gps route with a steep hill and then a steep descent.
Something that also may be worth checking is whether the GPS route doesn't contain "bad" data points, ie one point that sends you into a 15% or so uphill grade for one second while you actually are on a steep descent, or vice versa. If you didn't yet, you can smooth the ride using external software (3D Routebuilder or others) or TTS's internal tool. Bad GPS data points could explain some rapid changes in brake behaviour but should of course not lead to grinding noises.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:54 pm

Bigone is absolutely correct. A bad GPS ride can feel like the brake grabbing and releasing as it is rapidly cycling through large altitude changes. The smoothing program will easily correct this.

The best way to eliminate this as a possible cause, is to just ride an ordinary RLV or Catalyst course to see if it still happens.

brycebaird

Post by brycebaird » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:32 pm

I created the gps within TTS, and while it did have some questionably steep climbs (20%) I don't think it was an issue of any errant data points. When my wife uses it, its always catalyst, and she had the same hiccups. Going to hook up imagic for the time being. Can't get to the fortius inspection till late september. Busy month ahead.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:33 pm

If you create your GPS ride within TTS, you end up with Google Eart's altitude model. That may mean SRTM which is a bit more accurate for the US than for the rest of the planet, but still you may want to apply some smoothing to get rid of those questionable altitude steps. But if your issue happens with Catalyst only, errant altitude steps can be ruled out. Bummer! Hoped the solution was that easy.

Return to “110V Fortius - Cosmos”