What's going on with motor brake?

This section is for 110 Volt users all over the world USA/Canada for example

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

halgreene

What's going on with motor brake?

Post by halgreene » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi,

Can anyone clue me in on what's going on with the motor brake? In Catalyst, the brake seems restricted to a narrow range of resistance. For instance, if I choose to manually set the resistance, going through the entire range, from -5 to + 20, I DO feel a smooth transition over the entire range (although even at -5 there is some resistance...shouldn't the brake actually spin the wheel at negative resistance??) but the range is way too narrow. It is what I would have expected from say, 0 to 3. In other words, even at +20 I can pedal fairly easily. So the software IS communicating with the brake, and the brake IS responding by increasing resistance, but the range is all wrong.

The brake seems to go through the normal process (including spinning the wheel) when I do a calibration. When I switch to VR and climb a mountain, THEN the brake provides what I would consider "normal" resistance, although occasionally even that does not happen. But in Catalyst it's still all wrong.

Is the brake going bad? Software problem? Is there some calibration/setting I am getting wrong? Is there a test I should run? Even though the unit is a few years old, it has gotten very little use.

Also, for a while it was not reading cadence but now it seems to read it fine.

I am running 4.6 on a 64-bit windows laptop.

Anyway...confused. Can anyone help?

malfukt

Re: What's going on with motor brake?

Post by malfukt » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi Hal

Looking at picture it is Fortius Brake & you should have more resistance than describing, is this the asame with RLV/GPS/VR rides..

I`ve not just pressed the up/down to buttons in catalyst to get negative- so will not comment on if it shouls freewheel, but pre-planned/created route do with negative slope.

Is there anybody near you can borrow hardware from, even shop which provided FORTIUS as this could be software or hardware related
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:45 pm

halgreene wrote:Hi,

Can anyone clue me in on what's going on with the motor brake? In Catalyst, the brake seems restricted to a narrow range of resistance. For instance, if I choose to manually set the resistance, going through the entire range, from -5 to + 20, I DO feel a smooth transition over the entire range (although even at -5 there is some resistance...shouldn't the brake actually spin the wheel at negative resistance??) but the range is way too narrow. It is what I would have expected from say, 0 to 3. In other words, even at +20 I can pedal fairly easily. So the software IS communicating with the brake, and the brake IS responding by increasing resistance, but the range is all wrong.

The brake seems to go through the normal process (including spinning the wheel) when I do a calibration. When I switch to VR and climb a mountain, THEN the brake provides what I would consider "normal" resistance, although occasionally even that does not happen. But in Catalyst it's still all wrong.

Is the brake going bad? Software problem? Is there some calibration/setting I am getting wrong? Is there a test I should run? Even though the unit is a few years old, it has gotten very little use.

Also, for a while it was not reading cadence but now it seems to read it fine.

I am running 4.6 on a 64-bit windows laptop.

Anyway...confused. Can anyone help?
Yes, an output of 45 watts to produce a speed of 19.7 kmh on a 5% grade is not right. 45 watts is very small. Does it feel like only 45 watts of power?

The cadence not working at times is also troubling. If there is no cadence signal, the system should come to an abrupt halt within a couple of seconds.

Jake

Post by Jake » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:53 pm

Can you go to the tacx diagnostic program and reset the tts settings. i was getting a similar issue with mine and doing this solved the problem.
"You only get stronger playing a stronger opponent"

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:13 am

If you wish to do it without 'diagnostic tool' C:\ProgramData\Tacx\TrainerSoftware\TTS4\Setting..you can either remove .setting &/or data.index TTS will recreate these once it re-opens..also catalyst issues can sometimes be be solved by installing .NET framework 4 if you have not already
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD

halgreene

Post by halgreene » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Jake wrote:Can you go to the tacx diagnostic program and reset the tts settings. i was getting a similar issue with mine and doing this solved the problem.
What Tacx diagnostic program? I do not see anything like this on my disk. Please be more specific. MUCH more. Thanks.

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:14 pm

Hal,

just follow instructions in my post it is exactly same result.. diagnostic program NOT on the disc & not required, it wont actually tell you if anythink wrong, it will remove .settings as i detailed above, check your videos are correctly tied to there respective .TTS files & has page for typing in report of issue you may have with TTS & attach button for attaching the LOG file/s

All of which can be done manually & makes you more conversant with the file structure
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD

Jake

Post by Jake » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 pm

halgreene wrote:
Jake wrote:Can you go to the tacx diagnostic program and reset the tts settings. i was getting a similar issue with mine and doing this solved the problem.
What Tacx diagnostic program? I do not see anything like this on my disk. Please be more specific. MUCH more. Thanks.

if yu dont have it download it from tacx site.
"You only get stronger playing a stronger opponent"

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:21 pm

For some reason, I had a hard time finding the diagnostic tool on the support part of the Tacx website. Here is a download link:

http://www.tacxdata.com/files/support/T ... ll-170.exe

This is one of the places where there is a link (at the bottom of this page):

http://www.tacxservice.com/en/fortius-i ... ultiplayer

Hope this helps.

halgreene

Post by halgreene » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:08 pm

Removing the two files fixed the VR problem (now works consistently) but did NOT fix the catalyst problem. Strange. You'd think the software interface to the motor brake would be the same! Have not tried installing the .NET framework, but quite frankly, will never get to do that since I dismantled the thing already and have packed it up for a quick sale. LOVE the software (TTS4) and wish it would work with my new Wahoo Kickr when it comes next week. Look for my Fortius 1946.50 to appear on eBay today. Still asking a "buy it now" price of $900 but will take best offers. Includes steering unit, TTS4, a nearly-new Tacx training tire (blue) and the following Tacx videos:

1. L'Etape du Tour 2011 - France (newer)
2. Mallorca Tour - Spain (older)
3. Milan San Remo - Italy (older)
4. Monte Paschi - Italy (newer)
5. Tour of Flanders 2011 - Belgium (newer)
6. The Argus Tour 2010 - South Africa (newer)

See pics in the "Cafe" section of this forum. For full price will include free shipping (and this thing is HEAVY).

Contact me at Hal [at] HalJayGreene [dot] com.

I bear no grudge against Tacx. I think they are really trying and the support has been good, and the sofware and hardware DO ROCK (when they work) but there are still just too many growing pains for something this expensive, and really, I think a heavy-duty magnetic braking system is the way to go (I may eat my words when I try to get the Kickr to work, but the advance reviews have been raves). Never really cared for the fact that the motor brake could apply negative spin. Seems useless to me (most of these things are used for training, not joyriding). I know...I coulda bought a Bushido. At least I didn't buy a ProForm Tour de France. If you wanna see negative reviews, Google THAT one! A nightmare. Thanks for all your support over the years.

Hal

Return to “110V Fortius - Cosmos”