Possible to climb standing ?

This section is for 110 Volt users all over the world USA/Canada for example

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

wheelz

Possible to climb standing ?

Post by wheelz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:47 pm

HI,
I have a Fortius with the latest TTS3. I have no problem with the motor for anything I did so far (lets say about 15%), but at about 6% if I stand on the pedals I get the jerky sensation. I'm not sure why it does that ? Less of a round pedal stroke when I do that ? but I was thinking it's when I stand that the tire on the roller might be moving more, thus losing traction.

Any solutions or experience ?

thanks in advance !

malfukt

Re: Possible to climb standing ?

Post by malfukt » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Just the difference in your effort as pedal stroke not as smooth, the FORTIUS brake is not a smooth as the GENIUS anyway whilst climbing even when in the saddle, unless you can maintain cadence in excess of 60 (keep average of 250w), don`t worry it is normal for fortius to feel this way.

It could also be you need more tension on the roller brake (by adjusting the screw/nut underneath) & re-calibrating.. what calibration figure do you have, somewhere between +1 & +3 is ideal with minimum of 110psi in tyre after a 10 minute warmup of Tyre/Brake
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

BobBreton

Post by BobBreton » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:13 pm

As malfukt said the magic number for cadence is 60 rpm, if you stay above that it should not be jerky. I also found out that if you stay over 10 km per hour it is much smoother.

I was climbing a 17,6% hill yesterday as I was doing Tour of Flanders 2007 and it was smooth all along. I got some jerkinees for about 10 seconds when I dropped under 10 kph and under 60 rpm. Then I kicked myself in the but and started pedaling faster and it all went back to normal.

I see this limitation as the trainer telling me to stop being a wuss and get my to legs going lol :lol:

Bob
BobBreton
Fortius Multiplayer
TTS 3.12
Windows 7 64bits
CPU: Intel i5-2500K @ 3.3 ghz
Ram: 8 gigs
Nvidia GTX 560 Ti 1 gig

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:58 pm

I don't think it is a cadence issue as much as speed. Under 10 mph/16 kmh the Fortius is inherently rough. I suspect your speed is low, which is why you want to stand.

Due to design of their brakes, the Genius and Imagic are much smoother at lower speeds.

wheelz

Post by wheelz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:17 pm

I was just testing. As I said, sitting I do not have any issues. I do shift 1-2 gears before standing and find it better even if it lowers the cadence. I would actually do the same outside.

Thanks for the answers. I will try to notice the speed but again nothing to fault when seated.

I do have no issues standing when I punch the end of a hill.

I will also take note to warm up longer before calibrating.

Return to “110V Fortius - Cosmos”