Bike not level in trainer

This section is for 110 Volt users all over the world USA/Canada for example

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

BikeRun

Bike not level in trainer

Post by BikeRun » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:54 am

Does anyone else have this problem? I have the trainer on a 3/4" sheet of plywood in my living room. When I put a level on this platform I am within the bubble. When I put my bike in the trainer the bike sits a bit cockeyed and is not straight up and down.

I have tried 5 different skewers and both of my bikes but I still have this problem. It is off enough to notice when I am sitting on the bike especially on the long rides. I have also tried varying the tightness of the 'bolts' (not sure if this is the correct term) over the skewers but doesn't change it. I have also put a 1/4" shim under one side of the trainer but then it seems to throw the front of the bike off a bit.

Any ideas? I was wondering about ordering replacement bolts because I think that may be the problem but it could be the entire frame of the trainer. The trainer has only been used about 8 months so it is still relatively new.

Thanks in advance!

Nasz

Post by Nasz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:45 am

Do you mean the bubble in your level is not in the middle Handlebars to Front-Back or left-right of the bike? I doubt changing the quick release skewer would make any difference anyway!
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy

Old RLV TTS Files / RLV GE Routes / GPX Smoother / TTS4.x RLV Fix / Conconi Test / Training Plans, etc.,
http://www.lunicus.org/tacx.htm

BikeRun

Post by BikeRun » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Thanks for the reply.

If I am standing behind the bike - the bike leans to the left. It looks like the bolts that go over the skewer do not line up and therefore not side gets 'pushed down'. I have tried not overtightening the bolts and then holding the bike straight up and down while I engage the brake to see if that would help hold it in place but as soon as I sit on the bike it leans again.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:06 pm

BikeRun wrote:Thanks for the reply.

If I am standing behind the bike - the bike leans to the left. It looks like the bolts that go over the skewer do not line up and therefore not side gets 'pushed down'. I have tried not overtightening the bolts and then holding the bike straight up and down while I engage the brake to see if that would help hold it in place but as soon as I sit on the bike it leans again.
Are you using the Tacx-supplied skewer? Most other skewers (particularly the lever side) will not fit correctly in the trainer frame.

Are you absolutely sure that your rear wheel is centered in the bicycle frame?

BikeRun

Post by BikeRun » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am sure that the tire is centered. I have put both my Time and Klein on the trainer and have the same issue.

I took a picture this morning but I am not sure how to load it. There is quite a bit of play in 'bolts' and I am not sure if that is normal. My friend has a Cyclops trainer and I have put my bike in that trainer and it was level. If I remember correctly there wasn't any play in the 'bolts' (wish I knew the correct term) on that trainer.

Maybe I am just being slightly OCD about whether it is level or not but it does irritate me a bit.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:34 pm

BikeRun wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am sure that the tire is centered. I have put both my Time and Klein on the trainer and have the same issue.

I took a picture this morning but I am not sure how to load it. There is quite a bit of play in 'bolts' and I am not sure if that is normal. My friend has a Cyclops trainer and I have put my bike in that trainer and it was level. If I remember correctly there wasn't any play in the 'bolts' (wish I knew the correct term) on that trainer.

Maybe I am just being slightly OCD about whether it is level or not but it does irritate me a bit.
Just to confirm, you are using the Tacx skewer (it has the word Tacx stamped on it). Most other skewers do not work correctly.

What "bolts" are you referring to?

BikeRun

Post by BikeRun » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:49 pm

Yes the skewer does say Tacx on it.

The 'bolts' are the part that goes over the skewer.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:10 pm

BikeRun wrote:Yes the skewer does say Tacx on it.

The 'bolts' are the part that goes over the skewer.
Those round receptacles that the skewer goes into are not tight fitting, but only semi-snug. They have black plastic inserts inside, so be sure they are not broken or cracked.

Beyond that, about the only other thing would be some part of the trainer frame is bent. The Fortius frame is fairly stout, so something getting bent would be unusual, but not impossible.

Return to “110V Fortius - Cosmos”