Fortius Imagic Powerback replacement unit

This section is for 110 Volt users all over the world USA/Canada for example

Moderators: malfukt, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Nasz

mcorn

Re: Fortius Imagic Powerback replacement unit

Post by mcorn » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:14 am

Well, the short-term solution is to get a replacement power supply under warranty and hope it works fine. For greater reliability, you can get an Imagic/Flow brake, which fits the frame and works with your handlebar controller. (I assume you have a white with blue ring controller.) The main downside of the Imagic/Flow is it does not have as much resistance capacity, but at our age, not sure it matters. The Imagic brake is fairly inexpensive.

swanng

Post by swanng » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:05 am

Mcorn-

I am still using the original blue Imagic handlebar controller that came with my Fortius back in 2005, so I'm pretty sure the Flow brake won't work, but I would have to do some more research on that to be sure. Anyway, I don't much care at all for the motor speeding the wheel up going downhill, but do really like the resistance going uphill. The motorbrake has never been a problem for me, just the Powerback unit.

At any rate, Rudy at Ochsner is sending out a new (I hope it's not rebuilt) T1949.50 Powerback unit to replace my blown one under warranty. I also hope that it comes with a renewed one year warranty and not pro-rated to the 3 months I had left on my blown one.

Normally after cycling on the trainer, I would wait awhile (2-3 minutes) after my ride, then turn off the switch on the Powerback unit, then unplug the Powerback from the wall receptacle, then shut down the software. After talking with Rudy at Ochsner, I'm going to leave the Powerback plugged into the wall, then just turn off the switch on the Powerback at the conclusion of my ride, then shut down the software.

Because the weather here is usually pretty good, I do most of my spring/summer/fall cycling outside when I have enough time after work. When I don't have enough daylight left, I'll jump on the Fortius to train.

This means that for months on end, the Fortius isn't being used, and is unplugged from the wall and turned off. Both of my failures of the Powerback unit have occurred when the Powerback was plugged back into 120 VAC after having been disconnected from power for months. Anybody else run into this problem?

That's why I'm going to leave the Powerback plugged in, even when it isn't being used. Then we'll see what happens.

Keep them fingers crossed.............................

Greg

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:57 am

You are correct that the solid blue controller will not work with the Imagic. It's too bad that you don't have the newer white with blue ring controller as you can buy a whole Imagic brake unit for about $175. It is a very simple and reliable eddy-current brake that has a half dozen permanent magnets and a half dozen electromagnets that provide variable resistance. The electronics board is very simple with one power transistor and a few other components.

When I was using my Fortius, I left it on all of the time. As said in an earlier post, the powerback self-destruct apparently happens during power-down, but of course it would not be apparent until the next time you turned the unit back on. My understanding of earlier problems was the system did not properly deal with residual energy during power-down, but I had thought that issue had been resolved with firmware updates. But like you, if I were not using it for a long time, I would still turn if off and unplug from wall.

Rudy is always very helpful, so hope this time it will be solved. It's too bad they don't sell replacement boards at a reasonable cost. The average user might be a little challenged in replacing a board, but you obviously would have no difficulty.

I also plug my powerback into a high quality line filter (but not a UPS). I have both 110 volt and 220 volt Fortius systems and they both worked pretty well for me. The 220 volt is actually smoother.

frankhertz

Post by frankhertz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Greg,

How is your shut down method working out? I am presently using version 1 roller brake and Powerback units that I bought used a couple of years ago. Last year I purchased new version 2 units (both) which I have put aside until the original units fail. With the version 1 units I have had no set shut off method and have turned them off in many different ways. When I do have to switch to the version 2 units I would like it if the Powerback unit did not fail.

Thanks for any feedback,

Harry

lucm

Post by lucm » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:01 am

Hi,
Someone know the replacement diode number as my fortius récently bought is damaged.

Luc

Return to “110V Fortius - Cosmos”