Downloads are 'sold out'

Questions and information about the Tacx.com website.

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Tacx support, Nasz

RJKflyer

Downloads are 'sold out'

Post by RJKflyer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:21 pm

Having trawled around the website to choose download film, I find that the one I would like is 'sold out' which seems a little implausible for a 'download'...
Attachments
Download 'sold out'.jpg

thebigoneinfront

Re: Downloads are 'sold out'

Post by thebigoneinfront » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:35 pm

"sold out" in that case means "not yet available". This has been noted a number of times here. Check back in a couple of days!

RJKflyer

Post by RJKflyer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Er, right.

Well, I'm sorry but the site needs to say "Not yet available" - it's simple enough...

From a business point of view, if anyone cares, I would NOT bother 'checking back' for something 'sold out' but I WOULD if i read 'Not year available".

Once again, appalling coding and sloppy work.
Last edited by RJKflyer on Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Well, considering that Tacx is a ~50-employees, family-run business, the high-end trainers are the smallest part of their business and the customer base isn't large, I think running an online store in four languages, of which English isn't their native one, and keeping it up to date is some task for them. Guess we have to cope with some imperfections.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:26 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:the high-end trainers are the smallest part of their business and the customer base isn't large
That observation may have the unintended consequence of reducing confidence in the product. Even though the company employment count might be small, a lot of this is accomplished through vendors and contractors, so there are a lot of more bodies working on the high end trainers (including, I presume, the website).

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:31 pm

Still there needs to be someone at Tacx driving and coordinating all of this.
I am not too concerned about any reduction of confidence. I think it's pretty obvious in any store that the more basic trainers on offer are far more numerous, the shelves are full of other Tacx products, too, and talking to cycling friends who rarely will have a VR trainer also shows that it's a niche product. The same applies for any company on this market. I have that information largely from a cycling magazine report on Tacx where Tacx have been interviewed and released such information, so I think it's ok to repeat that here.

I think some posters here expect simply expect too much from Tacx overall - Apple and iTunes-like stability and appearance or something like that. (And Apple screwed up iOS 8 by far more than the 4.12 nits discussed these days here.)

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:01 pm

I think that when people pay a lot of money (these trainers are not inexpensive - 10 to 20 times or more the cost of a "dumb" trainer), they have a right to expect quite a bit. My only point is that simply looking at headcount in the company is not necessarily a measure of the human resources that is actually going into the product. For all I know, they may be contracting major portions of the website operation to someone else. As far as I can tell, almost all of the product development does not take place within the company.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:20 pm

mcorn wrote:I think that when people pay a lot of money (these trainers are not inexpensive - 10 to 20 times or more the cost of a "dumb" trainer), they have a right to expect quite a bit.
I do agree! Of course the trainers need to work and provide good training. My point is that I'm not bothered that much by nits in Tacx stuff as I am by nits in Apple stuff and that I give Tacx more leeway than Apple overall, looking at each one's manpower and possibility to spend on development. Looking back to how Tacx VR Trainers and software did since I entered their world in 2005, I see progress. Some steps backward in between, and always something to improve further, but progress overall. So no real need for user ranting. (Except that they should get Videoplayer 2 working on my PC one of these days... :twisted: :lol: ) You are right of course that manpower isn't the only point. Still, a reasonable estimation of the market based on published figures also shows that TTS development and other online stuff budget can't be millions per year, which is another limitation.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:45 pm

I think you are right that having some balance and common sense in the expectations makes sense, particularly on the little stuff. I appreciate that it can be a real change for a small company to have a multi-lingual product, whether as part of the program, manuals or website. It is a significant overhead expense, so I try to make reasonable allowances for that. I would rather they spend money on improving the product itself rather than polishing the words and pictures. However, I have to say that I hear a fair amount of negative comments on how much Tacx spends for expensive, fancy brochures and other pretty stuff that doesn't really contribute to product quality or provide useful information.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:49 pm

For one Tacx flyer or ad I see I see two of Elite, so I'm unsure about that particular piece of criticism. Well, as you say, it's all about finding the correct balance, also between needs for product development and marketing.

RJKflyer

Post by RJKflyer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:37 pm

The bottom line is that quality control has failed Tacx in recent weeks.

Doing things right, first time, is important - as soon as you believe that care and accuracy are simply 'polishing the words' you can shut up shop as you're finished. There is a tendency for software developers/companies to believe that they can push any old crap out to customers and iron out the bugs as they happen. Lack of adequate change documentation, inadequate dialogue prompts, poorly thought through interfaces etc etc.

As someone said above, these are reasonably expensive products, so yes we do expect it to be right.

Also, even I would admit that there could be a pretty good product emerging with some of the recent changes, had it not been undermined by truly appalling design/QA/QC/UAT.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:33 am

I remember moaning about this out of stock thing last winter to the Tacx office, I think the reason was the webshop code only had two options. So "out of stock" for downloads that obviously have no stock means "on the way".

For sure Tacx need to improve & I think they are. Normally new rides filmed in the summer can take most of the winter to show up. This year it's October & they are already starting to pop out. The other point is at least Tacx has rides like this. By the end of next week we will have a the Raid Pyrenees finished with beta, that's 27 mountains & 700km... I do not really know what the competition have but if they can top us they got my respect for sure!

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:57 am

My outlook quite similar to bigones, i find multi million dollar software companies products/software with mistakes/issues so prefer to give tacx some leeway, i also find there product enhances my life far more than it lowers it... :)

Windows has frustrated me on many more occasions than tts :shock:
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:03 am

RJKflyer wrote:as soon as you believe that care and accuracy are simply 'polishing the words' you can shut up shop as you're finished
My "polishing the words" comment was more directed at spending money for marketing instead of product improvement, which is a little different. But I also agree that if you were attending to your marketing you would use a "coming soon" label rather than a "sold out" one as you may be driving away future sales needlessly. That is a kind of shoot yourself in the foot error for anyone concerned about sales. I think someone looking at the website, particularly a new customer, might actually give up and think it would never again be available.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:14 am

mcorn wrote:
RJKflyer wrote:as soon as you believe that care and accuracy are simply 'polishing the words' you can shut up shop as you're finished
My "polishing the words" comment was more directed at spending money for marketing instead of product improvement, which is a little different. But I also agree that if you were attending to your marketing you would use a "coming soon" label rather than a "sold out" one as you may be driving away future sales needlessly. That is a kind of shoot yourself in the foot error for anyone concerned about sales. I think someone looking at the website, particularly a new customer, might actually give up and think it would never again be available.

I got the feeling that as this was hard coded into the bones of the particular webshop they have that it would cost tacx more to have the wording changed then the few lost customers. But they could explain this in the text.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:07 pm

Tacx Video Production wrote:I got the feeling that as this was hard coded into the bones of the particular webshop they have that it would cost tacx more to have the wording changed then the few lost customers. But they could explain this in the text.
Or possibly not list it and have a narrative section of coming attractions.

Lunatix
Site Admin

Post by Lunatix » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:02 am

We have changed the labels so Downloads should now show coming soon. This is a manual process so it might take a while for all the videos to get the proper label. In the future however this should not happen anymore.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:27 am

Lunatix wrote:We have changed the labels so Downloads should now show coming soon. This is a manual process so it might take a while for all the videos to get the proper label. In the future however this should not happen anymore.
looks like 2 DVDs (Ironman ones) & 5 Downloads (the route du Hautacam tour)

Return to “Tacx website”