Upgrade from Fortius to ... ?

You`re thinking about buying a Tacx trainer, but don`t know witch one.

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Tacx support

misterEd

Upgrade from Fortius to ... ?

Post by misterEd » Tue May 19, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi,

I currently have a Fortius trainer which does everything I need it to however I’m considering upgrading to one of the newer models.

The main reason for this is that I’d like something with fewer wired connections which is quicker to set up as I am unable to leave it set up permanently.

The features I use are

- Tacx Training Software 4
- I only use the catalyst software really

- I only use it for training at specific power outputs and cadence for intervals
- I vary the power for intervals during the ride with the handlebar control unit

So my questions are:

- Which is the equivalent model in the newer range?
- Is easier set up now offered with wireless connections etc?
- I think I read that some now don’t have the cadence sensor, is this read in another way?

I’ll read more of the website but if people could make some suggestions then I’ll be able to ask more questions and narrow things down more.

Thanks! :)
Last edited by misterEd on Thu May 21, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebigoneinfront

Re: Upgrade from Fortiusto ... ?

Post by thebigoneinfront » Wed May 20, 2015 10:51 am

If you need the power range of the Fortius, the equivalent model is the Genius (plain or Ironman branded). If less power is enough, the Vortex will be ok. You can view the power ranges on the Tacx website on the trainer pages ("view the graph" in the tab describing the brake system). The Genius works only when hooked up to a PC. The other trainers are available as standalone versions or as "Smart" Versions that can be hooked up to tablets.

The Genius determines cadence by power fluctuations in your pedalling. It's not perfectly accurate, and useless while the wheel is driven by the motor, but generally ok in the newer firmware versions. You can also connect an ANT cadence sensor to the software, so just leave a Garmin GSC-10 on your bike as you put it on the trainer. Single thing that must be changed on the bike is the rear axle. Vhanging the rear tyre for a trainer tyre is advisable, or just get a cheap second rear wheel for use on the trainer.

misterEd

Post by misterEd » Thu May 21, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks for the reply and the info.

I've had a bit of a look around and I'm thinking that a Bushido smart with the upgrade to be able to use it with a handlebar controller and desktop TS4 software would be a good upgrade. Mainly due to the ease of set up and lack of wires while still maintaining all the functionality of the set up I have at the moment.

Any thoughts or anything I'm missing?

Thanks again!

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu May 21, 2015 9:07 pm

The main point of the Bushido is its independence from any wall sockets. Great for portabilty and use for pre-race warm-ups where you have no electricity. This comes with some issues of its own, eg having to pedal when connecting it to the PC. I'm also not sure whether its inability to get rid of your power output in any other way than conersion to heat has some disadvantages. Fortius&Genius can push current back to the grid, the Genius at the expense of one single cable compared to the Bushido. It's a choice of what's more important to you.

misterEd

Re: Upgrade from Fortius to ... ?

Post by misterEd » Fri May 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Interesting point, I hadn't thought about that.

Is one option for me to buy an usb ant+ dongle and TS4 can pick up the cadence from my garmin sensor rather than me having to plug in the hard wired tacx cadence sensor?

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:12 pm

misterEd wrote:Is one option for me to buy an usb ant+ dongle and TS4 can pick up the cadence from my garmin sensor rather than me having to plug in the hard wired tacx cadence sensor?
Not sure if TTS has a ANT+ device profile for the newer stand-alone speed and cadence sensors, but if you have a Garmin speed/cadence sensor combo installed on your bike, then I have read of others able to add that sensor from device manager and TTS display speed and cadence measured by that sensor except for when TTS uses virtual speed when simulating ascents/descents of steeper gradients.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Sat May 23, 2015 11:55 am

I can confirm the GSC-10 works as a cadence sensor with TTS. I wouldn't really expect trouble with the new cadence-only sensor as GSC-10 and new sensor can be used interchangeably on the Garmins as well. (On the other hand, the present issues of the edge 1000 under firmware 3.0 in picking up the old first-generation Garmin HR strap make me wonder.)

TTS will display the cadence signal from the GSC-10, but internally use the internally determined cadence. I am not aware that TTS can display the speed signal from the GSC-10. I had checked that once with a second spoke magnet on the rear wheel right after TTS 4.12 arrived, changing the way TTS works with ANT - that second magnet didn't impress TTS. May have changed with any further firmware update, of course. Still, speed is what these Tacx trainers can measure with pinpoint accuracy on their own, so there is no need for an external speed signal.

misterEd

Post by misterEd » Mon May 25, 2015 2:21 pm

ok, so i've ordered an ant+ receiver for my computer.

I'm slightly worried that the fortius won't work without the wired in cadence sensor but we shall see! :D

Thanks for your help

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Mon May 25, 2015 6:00 pm

I related your questions to the newer models you said you are looking at - the Fortius will always need the wired cadence sensor. TTS will display the cadence from the ANT sensor, but the trainers use their internally determined cadence. That's a safety feature. The motor will stop if no cadence is detected and it doesn't rely on anything external for that.

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 am

Having both Genius & Bushido if i could only have one it would most definately be the Genius :)
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

Lunatix
Site Admin

Post by Lunatix » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:31 pm

Genius Smart edition is also going to be buyable "soonish" if i recall correctly.

Return to “What trainer is best for me?”