Still undecided - Genius or Vortex?

You`re thinking about buying a Tacx trainer, but don`t know witch one.

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator

eml1909

Still undecided - Genius or Vortex?

Post by eml1909 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:13 pm

So I still can't decide between the two ...

On the one hand, the Vortex is clearly a great piece of kit and should be more than enough for my needs. On the other hand, will I kick myself for not buying the Genius?

The I-Vortex is on sale on Wiggle for about £360 but the Genius is around £900, which is too much. However, on BikeDiscount (German website) - the Vortex is Euros400 (£300) and the Genius Multiplayer is only Euros800 (around £600).

(Will there be any issue buying from a German website? What if I have a problem with the machine? If it is not advisable to buy from Germany then I will just get the Vortex from Wiggle. But if it's ok buying from Germany, then the Genius is an option.)

I am a keen recreational cyclist. I cycled in the Alps last year (ADH, Galibier, Croix de Fer), but I struggled due to poor stamina and too much weight.

I'm hoping the trainer will help me with weight/stamina. I'm not too worried about specific / targeted training using power / HR etc - I just want to have a trainer which I can jump on for 1-1.5 hours. I really like the look of the RLVs. The VR looks fun, but a bit of a gimmick perhaps?

The biggest advantage of the Genius seems to be the more powerful brake / higher gradients - so better for replicating the climbs. But does this really matter? If I use a higher gear to make the riding more difficult, will this not be sufficient?

I once bought a trainer (Cycleops) and never used it! So there's a chance that the same will happen this time round. But now I'm really feeling motivated and want to lose weight/improve stamina before the Summer. I can afford £600 for the Genius, but don't want to spend the extra money if I don't have to.

As things stand, I don't think I will want/need the Advanced Software, but I may be wrong about that.

So, in a nutshell:

1. Is it safe to buy from a German website (BikeDiscount.de) even though I live in London or should I stick to Wiggle?
2. If it's ok to buy from Germany, should I spend the extra £300 for the I-Genius?

I posted the other day and got some really helpful responses, but any further advice you can give me to help make a final decision would be great!

Thank you!!!

malfukt

Re: Still undecided - Genius or Vortex?

Post by malfukt » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:58 am

Check your PM (personal messages)
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

eml1909

Post by eml1909 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:25 pm

malfukt wrote:Check your PM (personal messages)

Thanks. I have replied (I hope).

Finding this such a tough decision! If it wasn't for the BikeDiscount offer, I would just get the Vortex from Wiggle and be done with it. Only £360, so if I regret it, I can always sell the Vortex and upgrade to the Genius at a later date.

But I can't help wondering if that is a bit too short-term' and whether I should just go the whole hog and get the Genius now.

One correction to my first post. I think I probably will upgrade to the Advance Software in order to get the other VR routes, so that closes the price gap slightly.

The real issue for me is whether it is "safe" buying from a German website given that I live in London....

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:21 pm

PM replied :)
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:49 pm

eml1909 wrote:The real issue for me is whether it is "safe" buying from a German website given that I live in London....
You are at the very same risk as any German buying from there. It's not a new arrival on the online retailer market and I haven't seen indications in the German forum I follow that would make me hesitate shopping there. I simply never did shop there up to now. First point is whether extra shipping costs apply to the UK and second point is whether you will need any warranty service, which always would mean international shipping to and fro.

Aren't there some local bike shops in London that would match the internet price, plus maybe a little extra for ease of warranty repairs? My local bike shop readily matched the standard internet price when I purchased. I like to keep the guy in business whom I sometimes need for fast&good work on my bike.

cjs78

Post by cjs78 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:30 pm

Out of curiosity and sorry for throwing another spanner in the works but have you considered the Vortex Smart?

Currently available for £265 at pedal-pedal.co.uk which makes it a bargain IMO. If you have an iPad or Android tablet you could get away with using the app for RLVs & catalyst training or you can purchase the Upgrade Smart in order to connect to the PC and you have the added bonus of having the Advanced version of TTS & all the VR stuff. All in, should work out price wise similar to the I-Vortex you are seeing on Wiggle but you get more functionality with the Bluetooth and ANT+ connections and having the Advanced version of TTS rather than the Basic version with comes bundled with the I-Vortex.

Personally I really like the VR stuff and it provides a nice variety of routes for each of the maps. I find all the catalyst training boring if on the bike longer than 30mins.

Return to “What trainer is best for me?”