Downhill simulation.

You`re thinking about buying a Tacx trainer, but don`t know witch one.

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator

Webrunner

Downhill simulation.

Post by Webrunner » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:09 am

Hi.

I understand that its only the Genius that have a motor that accelerate the wheel downhill, but do the other trainers have some sort of software simulation of downhill riding so you can completly stop pedaling?

Thanks.

malfukt

Re: Downhill simulation.

Post by malfukt » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:16 am

None of trainers is it possible to completely stop pedalling (even the Genius) all need some pedalling input for the motor to self propel, the pedalling action is safety feature so trainer knows you are on the bike..

Imagine self propelling downhill and you got off to go for a natural break and child or pet went into room
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:30 am

Webrunner wrote:Hi.

I understand that its only the Genius that have a motor that accelerate the wheel downhill, but do the other trainers have some sort of software simulation of downhill riding so you can completly stop pedaling?

Thanks.
As mentioned elsewhere, the "motor" function on the Genius and Fortius is more for simulating momentum through an active flywheel, not so much to coast downhills. And what's the point of getting on a trainer to coast? A big waste of time.

All of the trainers go into virtual speed mode to adjust the reported speed for downhill slopes.

Webrunner

Post by Webrunner » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:21 am

The point is that some of us just needs the rest after a steep climb.... Not everyone is in top shape, and this is a great item for motivation. I had the first VR from Tacx (2001?) and after climbing a hill i felt like having to use the same force going downhill... U cant last long with 200 BPM... But I`ll guess all trainers today simulates better, even if u have to pedal some. right?

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:02 pm

Webrunner wrote:The point is that some of us just needs the rest after a steep climb.... Not everyone is in top shape, and this is a great item for motivation. I had the first VR from Tacx (2001?) and after climbing a hill i felt like having to use the same force going downhill... U cant last long with 200 BPM... But I`ll guess all trainers today simulates better, even if u have to pedal some. right?

The amount of effort required to keep pedals turning slowly when decending is minimal & its better for you than stopping fully anyway..bit like the cooldown ride after training..sudden stop after hard effort of climbing isnt the best way to go.
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

Webrunner

Post by Webrunner » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:55 pm

Yes, I see that.

So the Vortex does the same job as the Genius here, if i understand correctly.

If so, I guess this would be my pick. I have no need for watt-training, multiplayer, steering or 100% correct uphill simulation. I will buy it for the VR videos and to store my progress.

So Vortex then...?

Thanks for the replys!

Return to “What trainer is best for me?”