iGENIUS vs. IRONMAN

You`re thinking about buying a Tacx trainer, but don`t know witch one.

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator

POLOBIDON

iGENIUS vs. IRONMAN

Post by POLOBIDON » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi! Tacx products dealerships in my region have various opinion on this. Could you please tell me the difference between iGenius (the non multiplayer model T2020) and Ironman (T2050)? Are they the exact same product? I would like to buy one but cannot find the 'right' answer anywhere.Thank you! :D

mcorn

Re: iGENIUS vs. IRONMAN

Post by mcorn » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:56 pm

As far as I can tell, it is the same product with a different color and logo. Various Genius packages include different items like the steerer and software add-ons, the but basic hardware is the same.

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:20 pm

i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:37 am

It also has a bottle & a free Ironman RLV from Kona & some other bits.

Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:48 pm

Hello TACX users,

I don't want to start a new Topic so I'll try to find some help here.

I want to buy a new Trainer because I think my old equipment isn't up to date anymore.
(Tacx Cycleforce Basic with upgrade PC & steering frame in combination with TTS 4 advanced working well with Windows 7PC)

The following aspects are important for me:

1) I want to keep using TTS4 advanced via PC (no Smartphone or tablet)

2) my bike should keep both wheels mounted to the frame in order to be able to switch from Trainer to the street easily

3) downhill Simulation

4) steering function (included or possibility to be added later)

So what Trainer is best for me? I found out that the i-genius or the Ironman might meet my expectations the most.

But there are various i-genius & Ironman versions available, so I'm a ittle confused.

(T2020,T2080,T2010 etc)

Can anybody help me?

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:34 pm

Ghostrider wrote:Hello TACX users,

I don't want to start a new Topic so I'll try to find some help here.

I want to buy a new Trainer because I think my old equipment isn't up to date anymore.
(Tacx Cycleforce Basic with upgrade PC & steering frame in combination with TTS 4 advanced working well with Windows 7PC)

The following aspects are important for me:

1) I want to keep using TTS4 advanced via PC (no Smartphone or tablet)

2) my bike should keep both wheels mounted to the frame in order to be able to switch from Trainer to the street easily

3) downhill Simulation

4) steering function (included or possibility to be added later)

So what Trainer is best for me? I found out that the i-genius or the Ironman might meet my expectations the most.

But there are various i-genius & Ironman versions available, so I'm a ittle confused.

(T2020,T2080,T2010 etc)

Can anybody help me?
you want this trainer https://tacx.com/product/genius-smart/

Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:50 pm

Thank you for the fast reply.

Isn't the T2080 for use with Smartphone? As far as I understand, I need the little blue Controller unit to communicate with the PC/tts advanced?!

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:03 pm

Ghostrider wrote:Thank you for the fast reply.

Isn't the T2080 for use with Smartphone? As far as I understand, I need the little blue Controller unit to communicate with the PC/tts advanced?!
No you do not have to have the small controller although its handy for switching through the displays while riding, if you do not have the Ant+ USB dongle (antena for the pC that picks up the radio signal from the trainer) or TTS software then its a really good deal to buy the upgrade smart as you effectively get the controller for free. To ride the Video the basic version of TTS4 is enough.

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:06 pm

Ghostrider wrote:Thank you for the fast reply.

you can purchase the upgrade/controller or alternatively use your smartphone or your keyboard to control the TTS menus and switching screens etc.

use "search" facilitythere are topics with which keyboard keys used
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD

Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:24 pm

I definitely don't want to use a mobile/tablet for navigating through the menus and I'm far away from my Keyboard during cycling.
I want to use a handlebar unit because it's really more "Handy" as Tacx Video Production stated.

I already own TTs but I don't have the dongle.

Instead of buying T2080 and the upgrade kit , wouldn't it be the same buying the T2020

https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;p ... ,69;page=5

(hope it's ok to post a product link)

or the T2060 Ironman?

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:31 pm

Yes, & yes to link (it is tacx product :D )
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD

Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:48 pm

Ok, so to sum it up:

To get what I want I need:

1) the i-Genius or Ironman itself (identical except for the colour)

2) the ant+ dongle (for the communication with....)

3) the handlebar Controller

4) TTS advanced (already in use)

So I need to buy the three missing components in whatever combination they are sold.

Do I get it right?

Sorry for my ignorance and thank you very much for your help, Tacx Video Production & Malfukt!

Have a nice evening. :)

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:37 pm

Correct....
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:12 pm

Ghostrider wrote: Instead of buying T2080 and the upgrade kit , wouldn't it be the same buying the T2020
or the T2060 Ironman?
Still, keep in mind that the model T2060 and T2080 - smart trainers, and the model T2020 - non smart trainer. You write that you don't want to use smartphones and tablets, but maybe you want to use in the future Zwift?
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:15 pm

You wrote that you have the Cycleforce with "Upgrade PC". Does this upgrade include a handlebat controller? If so, which one? The old solid green one? I think it was ms0673 who wrote that he uses a wired Fortius controller with a wireless brake. The old solid green controller does not work on a 64 bit PC, though.

The Smart Genius looks like the best option since you already have TTS and an ANT antenna plus maybe a USB dock are far cheaper than the Smart Upgrade. But you would have to go without a handlebar unit then. The non-Smart Genius - if still available at all - comes with ANT antenna and handlebar unit, but also with another copy of TTS, as will the Smart Upgrade. Maybe you can sell that extra copy, but then you still have a legacy trainer without the Smart capability in case of the non-Smart Genius.

Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:40 am

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Ghostrider wrote: Instead of buying T2080 and the upgrade kit , wouldn't it be the same buying the T2020
or the T2060 Ironman?
Still, keep in mind that the model T2060 and T2080 - smart trainers, and the model T2020 - non smart trainer. You write that you don't want to use smartphones and tablets, but maybe you want to use in the future Zwift?

That's an important Information. I didn't know that.
I think it's better to have the choice for change in the future and keep all options open.
So no T2020 for me.

Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:13 am

thebigoneinfront wrote:You wrote that you have the Cycleforce with "Upgrade PC". Does this upgrade include a handlebat controller? If so, which one? The old solid green one? I think it was ms0673 who wrote that he uses a wired Fortius controller with a wireless brake. The old solid green controller does not work on a 64 bit PC, though.
It includes the handlebar unit with the green ring - not part of the original upgrade kit but delivered as a spare part by tacx. I think it was originally included with the i-Magic Trainer.

Don't know if that might be compatible, but I'd prefer to get rid of the cable chaos.

Is there a difference between the names regarding the i-prefix?

Genius
i-Genius
Genius smart
i-Genius smart

I guess, as you say, the Genius smart is the best choice for me - either this Version (T2010) as a complete package
containing TTS (which I might sell) handlebar unit, Antenna and steering Frame on top:

or the full connect Edition of theT2080 also containing TTS and the antenna (handlebar unit to be bought separately but seems to be hard to find at the moment):

Are these two trainers technically identical, i.e. does the T2010 set contain the T2080 frame?

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:56 am

Bike24 may have mixed things up a bit. According to Tacx (scroll downon the product page), the i-Genius Smart Multiplayer comes with "Front wheel support, Upgrade Smart, BlackTrack, Multiplayer license, Quick release for racing bikes and mountain bikes (5 mm)". The "Black Track" is the steering frame for the Genius. The "Upgrade Smart" is the combination of TTS, the ANT antenna and the handlebar unit. In the first bike24 link, the ANT antenna is missing from what Tacx describes. Prior to buying that, you may want to check with bike24 whether the antenna is included or not.

The Genius in the second link is a Smart Genius plus the Smart Upgrade, ie no Black Track.

"i-" always denoted "PC connection" for the Tacx trainers. For example, the i-Flow needed a PC, the Flow came with a stand-alone handlebar unit with its own little display. "Smart" means ANT and Bluetooth connectivity, tablet or smartphone apps will work and the trainer comes without the stuff needed for the PC (which is in the Smart Upgrade). So an i-Genius Smart should and seems to mean a Smart Genius plus the Smart Upgrade.

The other two differences in the various models and serial numbers are whether the trainer comes with the Blacktrack and with the one-year Multiplayer license. The multiplayer license is now free since TTS 4.22, so this will no longer make a difference.

Apart from the various gimmicks that are also in the package or not, the single difference between the Genius brakes is being Smart or not.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:33 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:Bike24 may have mixed things up a bit. According to Tacx (scroll downon the product page), the i-Genius Smart Multiplayer comes with "Front wheel support, Upgrade Smart, BlackTrack, Multiplayer license, Quick release for racing bikes and mountain bikes (5 mm)".
I think this is the Tacx website got it wrong. Hardly package T2010 included Front wheel support. Already have a BlackTrack instead for this purpose.
thebigoneinfront wrote: In the first bike24 link, the ANT antenna is missing from what Tacx describes.
Everything is normal there:
Included in delivery:
foldable trainer with a motor brake
USB ANT+ antenna
quick release skewer
Genius controller
BlackTrack-steering frame
Tacx Trainer-Software 4.1 Advanced and Multiplayer license (1 year)
Without heart rate transmitter!
thebigoneinfront wrote: The Genius in the second link is a Smart Genius plus the Smart Upgrade, ie no Black Track.
That's just Smart Upgrade there is not complete. Without the controller:
Included in delivery:
Skyliner front wheel support
ANT+ antenna T2028
Trainer Software 4 Advanced
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:04 pm

Alex Masalovich wrote: I think this is the Tacx website got it wrong. Hardly package T2010 included Front wheel support. Already have a BlackTrack instead for this purpose.
Bit odd, but not necessarily wrong. A fair number of people (myself included) were disappointed by the Blacktrack. Maybe Tacx just has a big Blacktrack pile to get rid of.. :)
Alex Masalovich wrote: Everything is normal there:
Included in delivery:
USB ANT+ antenna
quick release skewer
Genius controller
BlackTrack-steering frame
Tacx Trainer-Software 4.1 Advanced and Multiplayer license (1 year)
Without heart rate transmitter!
The website, in the description page, says in boldface directly below the picture of the trainer and the title: "Geliefert wird nur der zusammenklappbare Trainer mit Motorbremse, Genius Steuerelement, BlackTrack-Lenkrahmen, Schnellspanner, Tacx Trainer-Software 4.1 Advanced und Multiplayer Lizenz (1 Jahr). Weitere abgebildete Artikel dienen nur der Illustration und gehören nicht zum Lieferumfang." In English: Delivery includes only the foldable trainer with a motor brake, quick release skewer, Genius controller, BlackTrack-steering frame, Tacx Trainer-Software 4.1 Advanced and Multiplayer license (1 year). Other products shown are solely for illustrative purposes and are not supplied." I read this to exclude the ANT antenna. So there's a difference to the "fact sheet". Therefore I think asking the supplier what's included is a good idea.
Alex Masalovich wrote:That's just Smart Upgrade there is not complete. Without the controller:
Yes, you are right! :shock: Bike24 seems to pack rather unusual packages to shave of a few cent. Could be a good idea to ask the local bike store for their offers straight from the Tacx catalogue (plus far easier return in case of warranty issues - had to send my first Genius back and dropping it off at my LBS was far easier than packing it up and sending it back myself.)

Return to “What trainer is best for me?”