Computer Help for iGenius Multiplayer

You`re thinking about buying a Tacx trainer, but don`t know witch one.

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator

malbr10

Computer Help for iGenius Multiplayer

Post by malbr10 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:38 pm

I am looking to purchase the new iGenius Multiplayer, however, I have been reading some horrifying post concerning video cards not compatible with the iGenius. So, before I spend the money to purchase this trainer I was hoping someone could tell me what kind of laptop would be optimum to run the iGenius software. I have the system requirements information that TACX recommends, but I read that this is not even close. Can someone be very specific as to what I need? Thank you for any support.

MALBR10

malfukt

Re: Computer Help for iGenius Multiplayer

Post by malfukt » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:46 pm

If you really must have laptop then avoid `"Intel Graphics"

This is split into 3 sections: so scroll down,Class3 may strugle with VR

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison ... 130.0.html

Class 1
High-End Graphics Cards - These graphics cards are able to play the latest and most demanding games in high resolutions and full detail settings with enabled Anti-Aliasing.

Class 2
Mid-Range Graphics Cards - With these GPUs you are able to play modern and demanding games fluently at medium detail settings and HD resolution.

Class 3
Low-Midrange Graphics Cards - Modern games should be playable with these graphics cards at low settings and resolutions. Casual gamers may be happy with these cards.
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:15 pm

Think about whether your really must have a laptop. Desktops are less expensive (particularly AMD-based) and provide far more upgrade and flexibility options, so they will likely have a much longer useable life. If you don't already have one, you can using the savings to buy a large flat screen HDTV or video projector for display (the bigger, the better). And if you have any ability to build up your own PC, you may be able to save even more. Desktop video cards in the $100 to $150 range are generally more than adequate to run the Tacx software ("horrifying" seems like a big overstatement).

I have also found that a solid-state drive (SSD) is a big performance improver for TTS, but you may want a conventional second drive for storing videos. 2 TB hard drives are quite inexpensive these days.

malbr10

Post by malbr10 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:39 pm

Malfukt & Mcorn,

Thanks for the information it has been a huge help.

DeadSetMonkey

Post by DeadSetMonkey » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:16 pm

What about the new Surface Pro3 from Windows?
Is it adequately powerful for the TTS4 and iGenius Multiplayer?

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:22 am

Firstly, it uses Intel HD graphics, did you read post above about avoiding intel ?

Secondly, although spec can be quite good..

"The Surface Pro 3 comes in a wide variety of specifications. You can choose from Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs, as well as a spectrum of SSD capacities ranging from 64GB right up to 512GB. Pricing varies dramatically as a result, with the low-end model starting at a very tempting £639. We’d avoid this one, though: its Core i3 CPU and 4GB of RAM may do everything you need, but a 64GB SSD is too tiny these days.

A slightly better bet is the £849 version, which gets you a Core i5, 4GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD, but ideally we’d pick the 256GB model, which also doubles the RAM, at £1,109. If nothing but the best will do, you’ll have to dig deep: the Core i7 versions are both equipped with 8GB of RAM, and the 256GB or 512GB SSD options come in at £1,339 and £1,649 respectively. Bear in mind that none of these prices include the Type Cover, which adds another £110 inc VAT on top."

There are/can be issues with its performance when working hard (ie:with TTS)

"Once our tests started taxing the CPU, we noted that the exterior of the Surface Pro 3 quickly grew hot to the touch. Within two minutes, internal temperatures had hit 90°C – and the CPU had automatically dialled back its Turbo Boost frequency from 2.6GHz down to 2GHz. It’s an inevitable compromise of squeezing Ultrabook-class hardware into such a thin frame: the Surface Pro 3’s tiny fans can’t dissipate enough heat to sustain the highest Turbo Boost frequencies."
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD

eml1909

Post by eml1909 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:47 am

So my PC (not laptop) is a Dell OptiPlex 7010 which runs Windows 7 Professional. It has an Intel i7-3770S CPU @ 3.19GHz processor. It has 16gb RAM and 379gb of free memory on the Hard Drive.

So far, so good ... I think.

BUT .... the Graphics Card is an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000. Is that going to cause me problems???

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:02 pm

eml1909 wrote:So my PC (not laptop) is a Dell OptiPlex 7010 which runs Windows 7 Professional. It has an Intel i7-3770S CPU @ 3.19GHz processor. It has 16gb RAM and 379gb of free memory on the Hard Drive.

So far, so good ... I think.

BUT .... the Graphics Card is an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000. Is that going to cause me problems???

After reading posts on forum from various users using the Intel" chip (built in graphics) it appears most report catalyst works fine, video for some can be slightly jerky, but main issue appears to be VR, those that can run it are limited to using it at minimum settings
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD

Return to “What trainer is best for me?”