Which trainer is best for me

You`re thinking about buying a Tacx trainer, but don`t know witch one.

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt

Which trainer is best for me

Postby Tacx support » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:28 pm

Hereby some information on what to buy and what the differences are between our trainers. First this is an important rule to understand

Regardless which trainer you buy, it is Tacx’s goal to offer the same work-out on each trainer when you climb a mountain. Whether you do this with a Flow Multiplayer or a Genius, for example, in the end the amount of energy delivered by the rider should be the same. This is complicated, because the braking power of the Flow Multiplayer is not the same as the braking power of the Genius. The Genius can deal with much more power. So an 8% slope feels different with the Flow MP (light) than with the Genius (heavy, the full 8%), because the Genius is much better in simulating a climb. With the Flow MP, the braking stops around 4-5% (depending on the weight settings).
To reach our main goal, we need to change something in our software, to make sure that the work-out is the same in the end. This we achieve by reducing the speed of the Flow MP the moment the maximum braking power is reached. The displayed speed is shown in red in the software (or it is shown square on the Vortex or Bushido). This is what we call Virtual speed.

So if you understand that a little bit better, it is easier to choose between the different trainers

Iflow
Power: it can break to max 4-5% depending on your weight settings. All over that the speed will go DOWN so you will not have the actual speed in cycling, 8% Climbing will never feel real
Also with iflow you get the basic software,so limitted in some functions (like import/export/Vr is not fully available.

Vortex
Power: it can break to around 7% depending on your weight settings. Same story as flow. However, the % can be spread more over the resistance power. Meaning that from 3% breaking we make 4% slope feel like 3% climb and 6% slope feel like 4% climb and 9% feel like 6%.

Bushido
Just has more breaking power then Vortex, so the 11% really feels like 8% Climbing

Genius
Goes up to 20%. So there is no manipulation of the breaking making it more realistic.

So the above are the biggest changes between the trainers.
Some other points
Bushido and Vortex have a headunit that can work without connecting it to a PC. The Genius and the i-flow Always needs a computer to work.
The Bushido you can also pre-program the SLOPE-Wattage-HeartRate trainings. With Vortex you can only manual adjust during a ride. The Bushido also does not need electricity to operated. With a generator in the brake it is possible to do you trainings. Easy to set it up and move any place you want.
Both are ANT compatible (also analogue works) so you can connect your ANT strap to it. The Flow is only analogue compatible. There is a list of compatible items http://www.tacxservice.com/en/4-what-he ... t-included.

Bike trainers - (Booster, Satori, Blue Motion, Blue Matic, Blue Twist)
We have different models BikeTrainers. The difference is 99% the breaking power. So the more expensive the trainer, the better breaking power it has on low speed (so you can simulate a climb of a mountain)
It is not possible to connect these Pc to a trainer, however there is program that makes a little interaction possible.

http://www.tacx.com/nl/products/software/video-player
Tacx support
Site Admin

Re: Which trainer is best for me

Postby dovuhg » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:07 pm

I wonder if igenius or iflow would be the best for me. Hard decisision!
dovuhg

Postby davethomas » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:28 am

Hi, I'm new here so this may seem an obvious question. I'm looking to get a turbo trainer of some sort, I've ridden fixed for five years and recently got a road bike. I'm getting a tt to improve fitness, stamina and climbing. The main question is can i used by fixed gear on it? I'm wondering if it will spin out to much on downhills? Thanks in advance.
davethomas

Postby Nasz » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:19 am

davethomas wrote:Hi, I'm new here so this may seem an obvious question. I'm looking to get a turbo trainer of some sort, I've ridden fixed for five years and recently got a road bike. I'm getting a tt to improve fitness, stamina and climbing. The main question is can i used by fixed gear on it? I'm wondering if it will spin out to much on downhills? Thanks in advance.

If you switch your fixie to a single-speed (so you can freewheel) then you'll have not problems hooking it up to the trainer. If you leave it as a fixie, you are in danger of wrecking most trainers
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy

Old RLV TTS Files / RLV GE Routes / GPX Smoother / TTS4.x RLV Fix / Conconi Test / Training Plans, etc.,
http://www.lunicus.org/tacx.htm
Nasz

Return to What trainer is best for me?