Need tts file format data or convert-to-XML app

General Questions

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Steve Newton, Tacx support, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

LarryInBrookline

Need tts file format data or convert-to-XML app

Post by LarryInBrookline » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:16 am

I use TACX videos with Virtual Training (now called Rouvy) software and a Cycleops bike. Since gear changes and downhills are annoying with this bike I smooth out my other videos from BikeLab and reallifevideo.de. I would like to be able to smooth the TACX videos also. Is the tts file format published or is there conversion software available?

mcorn

Re: Need tts file format data or convert-to-XML app

Post by mcorn » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:12 am

LarryInBrookline wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:16 am
I use TACX videos with Virtual Training (now called Rouvy) software and a Cycleops bike. Since gear changes and downhills are annoying with this bike I smooth out my other videos from BikeLab and reallifevideo.de. I would like to be able to smooth the TACX videos also. Is the tts file format published or is there conversion software available?
It is in a proprietary format. I am not aware of public knowledge of how it works as the format is also used for security and licensing purposes.

You can export ride data files into other formats, but that doesn't accomplish what you want.

If you want to smooth rides by reducing uphills and downhills, you can use the PowerMode setting when you ride.

LarryInBrookline

Post by LarryInBrookline » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:14 am

mcorn wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:12 am
LarryInBrookline wrote:
It is in a proprietary format. I am not aware of public knowledge of how it works as the format is also used for security and licensing purposes.

You can export ride data files into other formats, but that doesn't accomplish what you want.

If you want to smooth rides by reducing uphills and downhills, you can use the PowerMode setting when you ride.
In other words, TACX is probably encrypting the files purposely so that translation is impossible. That makes sense and would explain why there are no file converters out there for tts.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:32 am

LarryInBrookline wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:14 am

In other words, TACX is probably encrypting the files purposely so that translation is impossible. That makes sense and would explain why there are no file converters out there for tts.
Yes, I think that is the practical result of encryption. It's for licensing purpose to make it more difficult for third-party video vendors. It actually was not completely successful as early versions of TTS allowed the user to convert pre-TTS videos to TTS format. As a result, third-party venjdors have been able to use those early TTS versions to create and sell their own videos that were TTS-compatible even if they lacked all TTS functions. But in all of this, to my knowledge there still has not been published any method for actually modifying the slope characteristics of an existing TTS control file.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:30 pm

LarryInBrookline wrote:
I use TACX videos with Virtual Training (now called Rouvy) software and a Cycleops bike.
I would like to be able to smooth the TACX videos also.
mcorn wrote:
It is in a proprietary format.
Since this third-party software can read this proprietary format and play video from Tacx, it is also potentially capable of smoothing the distance profile. You should contact the developers of this Virtual Training (now called Rouvy) software.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:30 pm
LarryInBrookline wrote:
I use TACX videos with Virtual Training (now called Rouvy) software and a Cycleops bike.
I would like to be able to smooth the TACX videos also.
mcorn wrote:
It is in a proprietary format.
Since this third-party software can read this proprietary format and play video from Tacx, it is also potentially capable of smoothing the distance profile. You should contact the developers of this Virtual Training (now called Rouvy) software.
It does not appear to me that Rouvy can decode TTS files. The software allows the user to provide slope information if the user already has a video file. The software syncs the slope information provided by the user to the video file.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:55 pm

mcorn wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:22 pm
It does not appear to me that Rouvy can decode TTS files.
I suspect that in the framework of partnership with Tacx they take only geo-data from the tts-file (maybe not even from a file, but from a file name :!: ), which they then process using Google's service. That's why the user wants to smooth the distance profile.
https://support.rouvy.com/hc/en-us/arti ... deo-routes
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:39 pm

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:55 pm
mcorn wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:22 pm
It does not appear to me that Rouvy can decode TTS files.
I suspect that in the framework of partnership with Tacx they take only geo-data from the tts-file (maybe not even from a file, but from a file name :!: ), which they then process using Google's service. That's why the user wants to smooth the distance profile.
https://support.rouvy.com/hc/en-us/arti ... deo-routes
I think you are probably correct. I was looking around the Rouvy website and did not come across your linked page.

I see that Rouvy also accepts Real Life Videos, which does sell TTS-compatilble videos but also has publicly available slope data.

LarryInBrookline

Post by LarryInBrookline » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:00 pm

Thanks everyone for the info. Couple comments:
1) I customize the slope changes for several reasons: my wife likes certain characteristics for natural intervals, the Cycleops bike doesn't like frequent small changes, steep downhills are a problem etc.
2) Bikelab and reallifevideo both use easily customizable XML files, I have a bunch of those; Rouvy plays both types
3) Rouvy recently added support for TACX and the latest TACX videos work fine with it. They must have worked out some decryption agreement
4) The newer TACX videos are terrific quality, better than anything else out there; I get a great VR experience with them

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:21 am

Out of curiousity: Did you need to enter a license key to unlock the RLV at any time? If Rouvy could use RLVs for TTS without unlocking (ie including pirated RLVs) and compensates Tacx out of their monthly subscription, we know that the monthly subscription for the upcoming Tacx Desktop App which also offers access to all RLVs must be lower than Rouvy‘s.. :D

I also wonder a bit about the need to smooth the generally perfect grade data of the Tacx RLVs. I share Alex‘s suspicion that Rouvy doesn‘t use them, but uses grades calculated from the altitude data in the GPS path, which is a guarantee for a rough ride unless smoothed. These data are available on Strava or could easily be retrieved by cycling the RLV once.

LarryInBrookline

Post by LarryInBrookline » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:22 pm

I can't remember this exactly but I have to enter the TACX confirmation code twice during installation. That gets me the tts and avi files but I don't enter anything, once that is complete, when running Rouvy.

The only indoor setup I've ever used is the Cycleops bike so I can't draw any general conclusions on smoothing, in general. The Cycleops bike has to "over correct" a bit when it changes gears. That makes lots of gear changes annoying. I agree with you that Rouvy is probably just reading the altitude data, that's all I alter with the XML files used by reallifevideo and BikeLab.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:08 pm

LarryInBrookline wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:22 pm
I can't remember this exactly but I have to enter the TACX confirmation code twice during installation. That gets me the tts and avi files but I don't enter anything, once that is complete, when running Rouvy.

The only indoor setup I've ever used is the Cycleops bike so I can't draw any general conclusions on smoothing, in general. The Cycleops bike has to "over correct" a bit when it changes gears. That makes lots of gear changes annoying. I agree with you that Rouvy is probably just reading the altitude data, that's all I alter with the XML files used by reallifevideo and BikeLab.
The slope data & altitude data in Tacx tts files can sometimes be very different, we use two sets of data & the slope data is whats smoothed & filtered, I know that the original raw altitude data can often be found lurking in the tts files, depending on the age of the file. I do not think there is a way to adjust the tts file data, but I would look in the Rouvy settings for a way to adjust the brakeforce or slope. For example in the new tacx software thats just coming out of Beta tomorrow you can reduce the brakeforce right down which in effect averages out the grade profile until its completely flat if you go all the way to max. if you set it at 50% then you would probably only vaguely feel that your climbing & not all the small changes that you see if say on a flat switch back.

I think Tacx made a deal with Rouvy some years ago so they could use tacx collection rides if the customer needed the licence code to do so.

Return to “General”