Cadence dropping out in Zwift

General Questions

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Steve Newton, Tacx support, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

Aky

Cadence dropping out in Zwift

Post by Aky » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi all, new to this forum and was hoping I could get some advise on my Vortex.

I have noticed recently whilst using Zwift the cadence can be working fine one minute and the next show a reading of 0 for several seconds then displays the actual before showing 0 again. The result in Zwift is a rider floating up the hill not peddling but producing 100-200 watts depending.

This has been doing my head in its not connected to another device ie phone, GPS unit. Its ruining my training and general experience any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ps wanted to try updating firm ware in the Android app but no options to update just calibrate and manage.

Thanks in advance.
Aky

Alex Masalovich

Re: Cadence dropping out in Zwift

Post by Alex Masalovich » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:55 pm

Aky wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:31 pm
Ps wanted to try updating firm ware in the Android app but no options to update just calibrate and manage.
What kind of app? To update the firmware, use the Tacx Utility app.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:52 pm

Cadence readings from some of the Tacx brakes are not all that good, mostly because many of the brakes rely on sensing power pulses rather than having an independent cadence sensor. The Vortex brakes, which I have (both regular and Smart) would fall in that category. So, I ended up getting separate speed/cadence sensors a long time ago. A dual Bluetooth/ANT+ speed/cadence combo can be purchased from a number of sources. I currently use the Wahoo Blue SC, but there are others. Tacx makes one as well.

This may or may not be the cause of your current problem, but if you really want accurate cadence readings, the separate sensor is the best way to go.

If you are using ANT+, I would also recommend that you have a USB extension cable in order to get the ANT+ transmitter closer to your bike.

Aky

Post by Aky » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:20 am

Thanks for the reply,
It sucks you have to go out and buy an additional cadence sensor the Vortex smart simply is unusable with Zwift.

It seems other people have reported similar in the past few days on Zwift I'm hoping the issue is with Zwift and they fix it soon.

Still can't figure out how to update the TT using the android app.

Almost ready to sling the thing and try a wahoo TT.

Aky

Post by Aky » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:46 pm

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:55 pm
Aky wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:31 pm
What kind of app? To update the firmware, use the Tacx Utility app.
Right no wonder the app wouldn't let me update it was the training app not the utility app Doh!!! Testing for improvements now.

Cheers

Return to “General”