Flow/TTS3: Watts in RLV, RLTraining, Ergovid, VR vs catalyst

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Tacx support

smithpauln

Flow/TTS3: Watts in RLV, RLTraining, Ergovid, VR vs catalyst

Post by smithpauln » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi All
After months of consideration, and some concern reading this forum ref the wattage issues, I bit the bullet and got the PC upgrade for my flow. I got the latest version wtih TTS 3. RLVs jamming sucks, but I think there is still enough in there to keep me happy. Compared to some others on here, I actually think the wattage is ok in some elements of the program, but not others (which really doesn't make sense). Please see below and perhaps comment. My assumption is that the brake is properly calibrated.

Catalyst - I actually think the Watts on watt-time are ok here. Maybe it's a bit 'harder' to pedal at a given wattage compared to the flow, but I believe the resistance adjusts accurately for a given wattage. Some users have commented that if they speed up pedaling, or go up a gear the resistance overcompensates and resistance is too low. I have noticed this a little, but I believe teh solution is to keep pedaling at the same cadence. The computer just takes a couple of seconds to adjust. If you try to adjust by changing cadence or gear this is actually counter intuitive to the aim of the program. Comments?

Ergovideo - I think teh same as per abovee is happening, but Frank and Andy freezing and flickering away is distracting me too much to confirm. I am also confused (after scaling teh power to 70%) whether the target power is meant to be matched to the 100% power value or the scaled 70% power value a bit to teh left. Comments?

Real Life Training - Free cycling, on a GPS route I ride regularly I think the reported wattage feels roughly the same as what I am pedalling against, but that the resistance is too low for the slope, which is pretty well near 0%. Speed is way to high for the wattage, ie there is no way me a 105kg, 191cm beast could do 35km/h on a flat road for values just under and just over 100W, however seems reasonable for actual speed of rear wheel. I am also in the big chainring and about 13 sprocket, so I know the brake is almost off (It functions normally in Catalyst watt-time). This means I would need imaginary higher gears to hit a higher wattage. Theory: the wattage is correct in terms of 'feel', but not for the speed the bike is going at. Have the programmers got confused between the 'slope' settings on an electro brake with flow head unit (they range from -4 to +9, but don't indicate % gradient just arbitrary resistance) versus the actual slope gradient % referred to in teh software?

RLV - think same as above real life training, jittery images confusing me though,.

VR - think same as above.

So in summary I think:

Watt-time programmes - (incl ergovideo), the thing is ok adn teh wattage is ok, you just need to use it as intended ie constant cadence and let the machine adjust itself, it will not happen instantaneously, it might take a few seconds.

Slope based programmes - something wrong with the resistance being applied through teh brake to simulate a given gradient %. Result is that speed is too high, it is being calculated based on actual wheel speed. Wattage accurate to the resistance through the brake and actual pedal force required.

I look forward to some feedback on the above, and apologise if these have been addressed elsewhere.

Paul
Tacx Flow w 2011 T1925 Upgrade PC Flow
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon X300SE 256MB
Windows XP SP3

smithpauln

Post by smithpauln » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:13 pm

Actually, I've just tried again and the ergovideo wattages are wrong too. So now I think the whole think is kind of useless...
Tacx Flow w 2011 T1925 Upgrade PC Flow
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon X300SE 256MB
Windows XP SP3

Return to “Archives”