Flux Smart Trainer 2019

http://www.tacx.com/en/products/software/ant-open

Moderators: mcorn, malfukt, Nasz, Lunatix

RABGUCC

Flux Smart Trainer 2019

Post by RABGUCC » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:40 pm

Jan 2019:- Running MacBook Pro with ANT+, Garmin HR and Cadence sensor. May be of use but I also use an iPhone 7 with BT Wi-fi for utilising Companion App, and the internet connection is provided by one of those power socket WiFi extenders.

Latest firmware and app versions applied.

In Zwift my Flux 2 Smart Trainer has difficulty connecting 80% of time and is really frustrating- it holds the connection most times. I have to restart App and Smart Trainer on occasion. To reconnect - a 5- 20 min process that can see me missing the start of a Zwift event which is really annoying.

I’ve tried Bluetooth, but Flux 2 is tailored towards ANT+. I had a dongle already, but went out and bought the Tacx extender hoping that would resolve the issue, but still same issue.

I'm getting really frustrated. I expected better as it's an expensive piece of kit and of worked properly would be a great price of Kit. Very close to returning it.

mcorn

Re: Flux Smart Trainer 2019

Post by mcorn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:52 pm

The Flux 2 is a Smart Trainer and it should not make any difference whether you are using BT or ANT+ to control it and receive data from it. However, be careful that you do not have two programs trying to control the Flux 2 and receive data from it simultanously, particularly using BT. So, if you are using your iPhone to access the Flux 2 in some way while running your Macbook, I would try turning off the iPhone to see if it helps.

If you are stuck contact support@tacx.com

RABGUCC

Post by RABGUCC » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:42 pm

I’ll try that tomorrow and let you know. The phone is useful to use Companion App simultaneously.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:52 pm

RABGUCC wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:42 pm
I’ll try that tomorrow and let you know. The phone is useful to use Companion App simultaneously.
I don't know what companion app you are using, but if you are trying to connect to your Flux with a companion app using Bluetooth while using Zwift ANT+ to control your Flux, there is a possibility it will create problems. Bluetooth is different than ANT+ in that Bluetooth generally pairs with a device on an exclusive basis for the channel being used and tries to take control of it. One nice thing about ANT+ is you can have multiple ANT+ data-only receivers as long as multiple receivers are not trying to do brake control at the same time.

RABGUCC

Post by RABGUCC » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:22 pm

Im using the Zwift companion app that needs to be on the same Wi-fi network. I could turn off Bluetooth on the phone firstly to see if that is interfering and causing the Smart trainer connection to drop or not to establish itself with ANT+

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 am

RABGUCC wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:22 pm
Im using the Zwift companion app that needs to be on the same Wi-fi network. I could turn off Bluetooth on the phone firstly to see if that is interfering and causing the Smart trainer connection to drop or not to establish itself with ANT+
Did not understand that it was the Zwift companion. Does not look to me that this should make any difference as it is only a Wi-Fi Internet connection. It should not have any effect on the Flux connection. You can try turning it off, but my guess is it will not cure the problem. And yes, you could try turning off your phone BT to see if it has any effect.

RABGUCC

Post by RABGUCC » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:18 am

I tried turning off Bluetooth on the mobile phone(iPhone)and going onto airplane mode, but Ant+ from MacPro still problematic...just not picking up trainer most of the time.
Tonight I used Companion App with Bluetooth to run /cadence/hrm/and trainer and it worked ok-albeit twice I had to attempt to pick up HRM.In parallel I had Laptop on with Zwift running-this I use for HDMI to large screen for the BIG Zwift experience. Great when it all works, but so frustrating when you hoping to join an event on time.

I’ve ran out of ideas trying to narrow down any interference.

RABGUCC

Post by RABGUCC » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:33 am

A friend suggested packet loss with Wi-fi , but struggle to appreciate how that can interfere with things, but will try hardwiring. Just need suitable adaptor first..more cost possibly!

RABGUCC

Post by RABGUCC » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:45 am

Also just read...

It's possible for WiFi routers to interfere with your ANT+/Bluetooth devices. ANT+ runs on 2.4 GHz, so interference is likely to occur if your router is also on 2.4 GHz and near your bike setup.

Seemingly, fairly simple to switch WiFi's channel. Tbc!

Any thoughts?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:19 am

RABGUCC wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:45 am
Also just read...

It's possible for WiFi routers to interfere with your ANT+/Bluetooth devices. ANT+ runs on 2.4 GHz, so interference is likely to occur if your router is also on 2.4 GHz and near your bike setup.

Seemingly, fairly simple to switch WiFi's channel. Tbc!

Any thoughts?
You can try switching Wi-Fi to 5 Ghz. But I have a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi access point in my exercise room and I do not seem to have any BT interference issues. Frankly, BT and 2.4 GHz are so common, if there was a widespread interference problem, there would be tons of systems that do not work.

However, it may be worth trying to get a hard-wired Ethernet connection for your PC just in case loss of connection is the cause of your problems.

RABGUCC

Post by RABGUCC » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:29 pm

Really confused.. I’ve just separated a 5ghz channel and 2.4Ghz channel - creating two wi-fi networks. Reset the to-link extenders.

Now I’m still no different at this stage than any other time theoritically, I’m in the garage on the 2.4ghz channel.Open up Zwift on the MacBook and connected to all devices via Ant+....I did this 3 times with success.

I’ll call it a success for now 🤔😁

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:56 pm

RABGUCC wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:29 pm
Really confused.. I’ve just separated a 5ghz channel and 2.4Ghz channel - creating two wi-fi networks. Reset the to-link extenders.

Now I’m still no different at this stage than any other time theoritically, I’m in the garage on the 2.4ghz channel.Open up Zwift on the MacBook and connected to all devices via Ant+....I did this 3 times with success.

I’ll call it a success for now 🤔😁
I doubt what you did had anything to do with the success. You have not turned off the 2.4 GHz channel (which was the suggestion), so I do not think it was an interference issue. Generally, the interference that people are referring to is interference with Bluetooth, not ANT+. Even though Bluetooth and ANT+ operate on similar frequencies, I have not heard of Wi-Fi interference with ANT+, although I suppose it is possible.

But if it is working, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Return to “ANT+ Open Complete freedom using your software of choice”