Speed Control

http://www.tacx.com/en/products/software/ant-open

Moderators: malfukt, mcorn, Nasz, Lunatix

Post Reply
tommy87
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 7:08 pm

Speed Control

Post by tommy87 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:28 pm

Hello,

Dose anyone konw if it's possible to control tacx bushido with a constand speed. For example if you set Speed at 15km/h, tacx will automatically regulate the power that everytime the speed is 15km/h. regardless of the applied power.

Is there any software which can to this?

Kind Regards
Thomas

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7594
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Re: Speed Control

Post by mcorn » Sun May 20, 2018 9:45 pm

tommy87 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:28 pm
Hello,

Dose anyone konw if it's possible to control tacx bushido with a constand speed. For example if you set Speed at 15km/h, tacx will automatically regulate the power that everytime the speed is 15km/h. regardless of the applied power.

Is there any software which can to this?

Kind Regards
Thomas
Not sure what the objective of this approach would be or how it would work. Perhaps you could explain a little further. Most training programs of this nature attempt to maintain a constant wattage or constant heart rate in order to improve fitness (with varying degrees of success). A constant slope (after a suitable warm-up period) might approximate what you are looking for.

User avatar
Alex Masalovich
Moderator
Posts: 1729
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Speed Control

Post by Alex Masalovich » Mon May 21, 2018 9:50 am

mcorn wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:45 pm
Not sure what the objective of this approach would be or how it would work. Perhaps you could explain a little further.
User wants this to be like the Isokinetic mode of Neo:
Isokinetic mode

With the Isokinetic mode it is possible to maintain the same speed, no matter how much force you apply on your pedal. Your NEO trainer will not allow you to exceed the speed you set when starting your training. When enabling the Isokinetic mode you’re able to set a speed limit between 16 to 30 miles per hour. When set, the NEO increases the resistance if you tend to go over your set speed and therefore your cadence will stay constant. In the Isokinetic mode you always train at a set speed and thus a constant cadence. Therefore you’re unlikely to strain your muscles.

https://tacx.com/push-your-limits/#14
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7594
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Re: Speed Control

Post by mcorn » Mon May 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Thanks Alex. Still seems fairly useless to me. (The comment "Therefore you’re unlikely to strain your muscles" also seems like nonsense.)

tommy87
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 7:08 pm

Re: Speed Control

Post by tommy87 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:12 am

I know constand Speed is not the best way to improve fitness. In this way I will not improve my fintess. I would like to develop a test bench for e-bike motors. To test this e-bike motor i need a contand speed regulation. (loop)

If there is no 3rd Party Application who can to this. I think about to delvelop my own Application with Arduino. Arduino measures the RPM and control the Tacx. What is the best way to control the Tacx? Over ANT+ or Bluetooth?

Kind Regards
Thomas

User avatar
Spiix
Developer
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Re: Speed Control

Post by Spiix » Tue May 22, 2018 3:38 pm

Bluetooth is a lot more reliable than ANT. You'll need a Bushido Smart for it to be Bluetooth-capable though.
And it's Bluetooth LE, not all Bluetooth chips can do Bluetooth LE.

User avatar
kostyap
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:10 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Speed Control

Post by kostyap » Tue May 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Spiix wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:38 pm
Bluetooth is a lot more reliable than ANT....
It is not. Depends totally on individual environment. There are numerous reports online for and against. As for real representative stats - nobody ever published it.

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7594
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Re: Speed Control

Post by mcorn » Tue May 22, 2018 5:50 pm

tommy87 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:12 am
I know constand Speed is not the best way to improve fitness. In this way I will not improve my fintess. I would like to develop a test bench for e-bike motors. To test this e-bike motor i need a contand speed regulation. (loop)

If there is no 3rd Party Application who can to this. I think about to delvelop my own Application with Arduino. Arduino measures the RPM and control the Tacx. What is the best way to control the Tacx? Over ANT+ or Bluetooth?

Kind Regards
Thomas
Thanks for the clarification that this really has nothing to do with training. Seems like the best way to test e-bikes could be to build something from scratch. Many e-bike systems already have built in constant speed controllers. Are you trying to find a way to evaluate how well e-bike systems work?

If you want a fair degree of precision to see how many miles you get out of a charge, the less expensive trainer brakes are not likely to give you data any better than 10% accuracy, but perhaps that is good enough for your purposes.

I think having a good test bed for an e-bike would be useful.

One thing you should be aware of is the various Tacx software programs go into "virtual speed" mode to accommodate limitations in the brake. What this means is the reported speed on the screen is not the same as the actual wheel speed. So, if you are concerned about measuring actual wheel speed for your e-bike test bed, this may or may not work depending on the program and the brake you are using.

Post Reply

Return to “ANT+ Open Complete freedom using your software of choice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest