Which ANT+ USB Stick to use

http://www.tacx.com/en/products/software/ant-open

Moderators: mcorn, malfukt, Nasz, Lunatix

Post Reply
Steve_P
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:22 pm

Which ANT+ USB Stick to use

Post by Steve_P » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:28 pm

Hi, firstly my apologies, I'm really not that technical. I've been looking to buy a cheap ANT+ USB stick that is compatible with TTS4, the TACX cadence sensor and my Garmin HRM. There appear to be loads of cheap USB sticks out there that suggest that they are compatible with a specific device. Is this really the case? Could I buy a generic ANT+ USB stick that will work with any of my kit? Grateful for your advice.

thebigoneinfront
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Ludwigshafen/Rhine, Germany

Re: Which ANT+ USB Stick to use

Post by thebigoneinfront » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:49 am

In principle, you can use any generic ANT stick. Some truly old ones (by now) and afaik the Suunto mini movestick have only 4 channels, so if you keep adding ANT devices (power meter, ...) you may run out of channels. I think nowadays you are pretty much safe to get an 8-channel ANT stick if you buy new (and stay away from the Suunto).

It is advisable, however, to have that ANT stick on an extension to avoid interference (the PC power supply can be a real issue). So you may want to get a 1.5 m USB extension cable, a „USB dock“ extension or something stylish like the Tacx ANT antenna depending on your pain cave style requirements. :D

ePhil
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Re: Which ANT+ USB Stick to use

Post by ePhil » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:23 pm

An additional question - I upgraded my iGenius to the smart Genius last night. Trying to use the trainer now, it keeps freezing within 15 minutes of riding - it goes into "pause" mode, indicating the signal between the brake/computer ends. Does this have anything to do with the original ANT stick that came with the iGenius - in other words, do I need to buy the new ANT available? Many thanks for input.

User avatar
Alex Masalovich
Moderator
Posts: 1877
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Which ANT+ USB Stick to use

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:56 pm

ePhil wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:23 pm
Does this have anything to do with the original ANT stick that came with the iGenius
T2018 should work.
To solve problems with Genius, the best tool is the firmware and alignment utility:
http://tacxdata.com/files/support/Geniu ... r_v102.exe
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

User avatar
Alex Masalovich
Moderator
Posts: 1877
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Which ANT+ USB Stick to use

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:19 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:49 am
In principle, you can use any generic ANT stick. Some truly old ones (by now) and afaik the Suunto mini movestick have only 4 channels, so if you keep adding ANT devices (power meter, ...) you may run out of channels.
There is a very old T1991, which is no longer compatible with the TTS4.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7850
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Re: Which ANT+ USB Stick to use

Post by mcorn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:52 pm

Alex Masalovich wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:19 pm
thebigoneinfront wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:49 am
In principle, you can use any generic ANT stick. Some truly old ones (by now) and afaik the Suunto mini movestick have only 4 channels, so if you keep adding ANT devices (power meter, ...) you may run out of channels.
There is a very old T1991, which is no longer compatible with the TTS4.
Yes, the T1991 is a USB1.1 ANT device that will not work at all. Probably not many of them floating around anymore. The Tacx T2028 ANT+ antenna actually works pretty well and comes with a cable on a fairly sturdy base. I would strongly recommend the use of some kind of USB cable that places the antenna close to the trainer (total cable length should not be any longer than 5 meters/15 feet).

thebigoneinfront
Posts: 2874
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Ludwigshafen/Rhine, Germany

Re: Which ANT+ USB Stick to use

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:30 pm

ePhil wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:23 pm
An additional question - I upgraded my iGenius to the smart Genius last night. Trying to use the trainer now, it keeps freezing within 15 minutes of riding - it goes into "pause" mode, indicating the signal between the brake/computer ends. Does this have anything to do with the original ANT stick that came with the iGenius - in other words, do I need to buy the new ANT available? Many thanks for input.
Don‘t think so. First thing I would check is the power settings of your PC. Sounds like USB ports powered off after 15 min. Odd that it worked before though. Windows updates may reset power settings.

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7850
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Re: Which ANT+ USB Stick to use

Post by mcorn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:30 am

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:30 pm
ePhil wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:23 pm
An additional question - I upgraded my iGenius to the smart Genius last night. Trying to use the trainer now, it keeps freezing within 15 minutes of riding - it goes into "pause" mode, indicating the signal between the brake/computer ends. Does this have anything to do with the original ANT stick that came with the iGenius - in other words, do I need to buy the new ANT available? Many thanks for input.
Don‘t think so. First thing I would check is the power settings of your PC. Sounds like USB ports powered off after 15 min. Odd that it worked before though. Windows updates may reset power settings.
I would look at the number on the ANT transmitter. As I recall, there were others after the T1991 and before the T2028 that did work very well. Also, be sure the transmitter is on a USB extension cable next to the trainer. Many people drape it over the handlebars or place it on a short stool in front of the trainer.

ePhil
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Re: Which ANT+ USB Stick to use

Post by ePhil » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:55 am

Thanks for the USB suggestion. I'll let you know if it works (I'll try later in the day). I disabled the default setting and am optimistic!

ePhil
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Re: Which ANT+ USB Stick to use

Post by ePhil » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:45 pm

Guys, many thanks for the guidance. That seemed to work (at least I got an hour-long ride in today).

best,
Phil

Post Reply

Return to “ANT+ Open Complete freedom using your software of choice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests