Multiplayer Poll USA

Everything about Multiplayer

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

How Many USA Riders are using Multiplayer?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 52

hugebee

Post by hugebee » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:57 am

Hi Tony and everyone. This is Chas. I've recently been able to do some of the rides on the web after doing some more upgrades to my computer. I had alot of problems at first because in some cases, mine anyway, the recommended computer specs aren't enough to do the webracing. I had alot of glitches with the video portion and some crashes. I've got those issues worked out with what is now one kick ass computer. To bad though because my one month free trial will be over in a few days. I did get to do some rides and get a good idea of what it is all about and what some of the other program issues are. I'm impressed with this concept and I would subscribe if a couple more things were to get fixed. I don't think I'm going to subscribe until next fall, at least that's my hopes providing the engineers come up with some fixes. One problem is being the server I experience constant video pauses. A pop up screen telling me I'm diverting from the course. Riders falling in back of me then jumping back into the front. When I join a server things go better with the graphics but, and I can understand why, the differences between the i-magics and the fortius breaking systems seem to me to be an unfair senario. That said, it really doesn't seem like anything other than a game and something to do. No real training benifit. It is fun and riding with others does make you push harder but you don't get the same benifits that you would with a specific training plan like learning to time trial. Another thing that anoid me is the constant chit chat screen. It's a nice idea but my training info dissapears when someone feels like blowing smoke and my eye view setting reverts back to default each time. It really takes a long time to get things rolling to start a race or ride and sitiing around in cycling clothes with the fan blowing, well I'll just say it kind of makes you lose interest in getting a hard workout. I'm just not use to riding at 8pm or 9pm either but nobody is posting rides any earlier it seems like. I do wish that more i-magics would post rides or even just more activity was going on. I can't understand that either considering all the people in the world who have these trainers. Maybe Tacx should be sending out more emails too. Like I said, my free trial will be over soon and the weather around here is starting to improve so most of my riding will be outdoors. But I will consider signing up towards the end of the year if Tacx does some more work on the program.

Tony Alaska USA

Post by Tony Alaska USA » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:39 am

Hey Chas it has been fun having you and matt in some of our rides. I am glad that your initial reaction of "No way am I going to PAY for this" to the now "well maybe in the fall" attitude is great :D . I know there are issues Tacx NEEDS to address, but just realize you have us there trying this thing out on a regular basis and I hope we do have a lot of improvements for next fall if not ssoner. I know we will soon ALL be riding outside and not think about our trainers but it sounds good to have more possible riders
Ride Hard or Go Home

hugebee

Post by hugebee » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:26 am

It's been a week now since my trial period ended and I'm missing the action. I'm back to riding the terrains with the same old same old which is challenging but not as exciting, it's more like work if you know what I mean. LOL!!! I didn't mean to sound like I was putting off the Multiplayer, I just wanted to express my concern that I did have some reservations because it didn't work perfectly. I guess this is new ground for Tacx and in the five years I've owned my I-Magic I have seen Tacx make acceptible improvements. At least I'm satisfied with the performance of the I-Magic and honestly, as much wear and tear as this trainer has seen, I'm suprized it still works. On another side, when we rode certain terrains that had even ups and downs you Fortius users gave me a workout. On the flats I kicked butt but you guys had me on the climbs. I think that's what I like the best because I don't like to get beat so you all really made me push. It is odd, since several months have gone by since it's introduction , that there isn't more riders posting rides. It may not totally be Tacx to blame though, it could be that some still use older PC's that won't quite run Multiplayer yet and are just waiting to upgrade their systems. I've also found out that my internet connection needs to be upgraded. I have high speed connectivity ( they claim 6Mbs but I tested it at around or slightly less than 4Mbs) but I can upgrade to 16Mbs. I'm not entirely happy about that because it'll cost $75 month add to that the subscription cost of Multiplayer and it gets expessive. But it's a specific activity I love ( better than *****) so I'm going to do it. I just hope that Tacx realizes the expense of it all and keeps working to improve the problems. That all said, you can probably expect to see me sometime in late September.

Tony Alaska USA

Post by Tony Alaska USA » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:00 am

Sounds Great Chas...We have our FIRST converted follower :lol: I know what you are talking about and I to hope these issues are figured out by next fall. I can only imagine if we had a more stable platform, more riders to join, and more streamlined setup for this MP to take off. I can not imagine riding this thing ALONE anymore. The days I am forced to do itb4 work days, kill me. It is amazing the aspect of riding this MP gives you. We have been fortunate to have the group of guys and Gals we ride with. We look forward to seeing you dishing it out with us next fall. Have a safe fun summer and be safe. :wink:
Ride Hard or Go Home

Buster

Post by Buster » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi Chas, Glad to hear your tilting towards MP and i'm looking forward to the fall and giving you some of the workouts you so crave. :D Forget the line upgrade i'm only getting 2Mbits and it works fine for me so if your on 4 you should be fine i would think. Have you noticed bandwidth problems? save your money and buy a MP licence :wink: then i can kick your ass. :lol:

hugebee

Post by hugebee » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:07 am

Buster wrote:Hi Chas, Glad to hear your tilting towards MP and i'm looking forward to the fall and giving you some of the workouts you so crave. :D Forget the line upgrade i'm only getting 2Mbits and it works fine for me so if your on 4 you should be fine i would think. Have you noticed bandwidth problems? save your money and buy a MP licence :wink: then i can kick your ass. :lol:
LOL!!!

It's not about the money. I read here in the forums somewhere that you need 4Mbs to be the server. I had more problems being a server than joining rides and I believe that is what may have been causing it. I'm also upgrading the service because I'm the type that likes more power, so as to remove any doubt of course. I'll be seeing you on the starting line when I'm at my prime so be ready. :lol:

paskyhawk

Post by paskyhawk » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:19 pm

I'm known as one of the better servers in our group and I have only 1 gig and a not so fast computer. I think your Internet connection has to be good, but just as important the background programs must be turned off. The only thing I leave on under my username is taskmgr and explorer (running tasks under rich). I host six regularly

Rich
hugebee wrote:
Buster wrote:Hi Chas, Glad to hear your tilting towards MP and i'm looking forward to the fall and giving you some of the workouts you so crave. :D Forget the line upgrade i'm only getting 2Mbits and it works fine for me so if your on 4 you should be fine i would think. Have you noticed bandwidth problems? save your money and buy a MP licence :wink: then i can kick your ass. :lol:
LOL!!!

It's not about the money. I read here in the forums somewhere that you need 4Mbs to be the server. I had more problems being a server than joining rides and I believe that is what may have been causing it. I'm also upgrading the service because I'm the type that likes more power, so as to remove any doubt of course. I'll be seeing you on the starting line when I'm at my prime so be ready. :lol:

hugebee

Post by hugebee » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:38 am

Hey Rich, thanks for the info. I'm not clear on the background programs you refer to. I don't run with anything else open other than the Fortius program. Security was off and I'm pretty sure the router settings must have correct or how else could riders join my posted rides. I did notice ( by testing) that the internet transfer speed went down as the distance increased, if that has anything to do with it. But for some reason, haven't put my finger on it yet, I had glitches and errors when I hosted the rides verses just joining rides. I have 2G memory, a P4, and the X1650XT Turbo IceQ 512MB video card. That's why all I could think of left to consider was my power supply unit, which is 400W or my internet speed. My video card requires a PSU of 450W recommended but I don't know if that's on its own or if that is with other things running like a DVD player or say I'm gaming. I'm still learning things about computers that I didn't learn in school. Somewhere, something is causing the Multiplayer to have issues and I intend to get to the bottom of it one step at a time.

hugebee

Post by hugebee » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:48 am

I just thought of something else I noticed. I've done rides alone that we did as a group on the Multiplayer and I remember specific locations where I got the message "Diverting from the coarse". Those same locations I believe are where someone previously (whomever created that ride) crashed. I could tell there was a crash there because my guy, me, would stop, back up, and then go as soon as I got back on coarse. I wasn't using steering I was just following a pre-developed ride. Don't hold me to this theory but it seems to have happened that way. Possibly when I was the host I didn't notice the fluke in the ride but saw the error message. It would be nice if I could have some more time to see this a few more times or try to re-create the rides and test for myself if this was the case.

paskyhawk

Post by paskyhawk » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:31 pm

If you do a Ctrl Alt Del, look under Processes and sort by username. I end all the processes under my login name except for Explorer.exe and Taskmgr. Only shut things down that are associated with your username, If you screw up you have to reboot your computer to get them back.

Use at your own risk, :wink:
Rich

and
hugebee wrote:Hey Rich, thanks for the info. I'm not clear on the background programs you refer to. I don't run with anything else open other than the Fortius program. Security was off and I'm pretty sure the router settings must have correct or how else could riders join my posted rides. I did notice ( by testing) that the internet transfer speed went down as the distance increased, if that has anything to do with it. But for some reason, haven't put my finger on it yet, I had glitches and errors when I hosted the rides verses just joining rides. I have 2G memory, a P4, and the X1650XT Turbo IceQ 512MB video card. That's why all I could think of left to consider was my power supply unit, which is 400W or my internet speed. My video card requires a PSU of 450W recommended but I don't know if that's on its own or if that is with other things running like a DVD player or say I'm gaming. I'm still learning things about computers that I didn't learn in school. Somewhere, something is causing the Multiplayer to have issues and I intend to get to the bottom of it one step at a time.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:10 pm

hugebee wrote:I have 2G memory, a P4, and the X1650XT Turbo IceQ 512MB video card. That's why all I could think of left to consider was my power supply unit, which is 400W or my internet speed. My video card requires a PSU of 450W recommended but I don't know if that's on its own or if that is with other things running like a DVD player or say I'm gaming.
Power supply requirements are a bit tricky. Often the gross wattage rating is fairly meaningless as manufacturers rate them differently, so all power supplies with the same total power rating are not created equal. To see whether your power supply is likely to be adequate, you have to look at the specific amperage ratings on all of the various voltage rails of the supply then add up the power requirements of each of your pieces of hardware on those rails and then add in extra margins for spikes and aging. The big power draws are high end video cards, CPU and memory. Everything else adds to the total, but not as much as the first 3. If you are overclocking, that can also increase power usage considerably. Many newer CPU's are a lot more efficient. There are a fair number of websites that help you do the calculations.

Tony Alaska USA

Post by Tony Alaska USA » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:40 am

And I though Einstein was brilliant...damn Mike you are on fire with all this techno knowledge :D I hope your 220v testing is still running well? Getting rdy to start riding the tandem outside yet? We are still going head strong on the Multiplayer and awaiting warmer dryer weather befoe venturing outside. Takke care and i am sure we will talk soon. :wink:
Ride Hard or Go Home

hugebee

Post by hugebee » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:18 am

I went in and looked at the task manager you mentioned Rich. That is good info. I'm affraid to eleminate to much and it seems like a pain to have to do that every time you boot up the puter but I can see how it would eliminate conflicts. I may give it a try once I'm a subscriber.

Also good information reguarding the PSU. I have been on several of those sites that explain what components use what amount of the power from the PSU but the more you read the more confused you end up because they all give different values. Testing each path would be more trouble than its worth so I would just opt to do what Tim the Toolman Taylor would do and add more power for the peace of mind. Something with two huge fans too, so when they are on it also drys the sweat off me while I'm riding. :lol:

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:03 pm

Tony Alaska USA wrote: I hope your 220v testing is still running well? Getting rdy to start riding the tandem outside yet? We are still going head strong on the Multiplayer and awaiting warmer dryer weather befoe venturing outside.
Unfortunately, the 230 volt unit has stopped working, so we are back on the 110 volt. We spend most of our online time on Netathlon which I like a lot and works quite well. I'm still waiting for the next version of Tacx Multiplayer where hopefully a lot of the bugs have been addressed.

wiseguy73

Post by wiseguy73 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:02 pm

well would ride with u all but im a cat 5 and you would all kick my butt. just recieved my fortius and love it. have the lombardy tour RLV and been praticing on the steep climbs. for right know just trying to get back into thinksand shape will let you know when i feel ready for multi player. I know i have only one month but will more likely pay for the year program as long as i know he can build the server up with players. I have alot of older cumputer parts, maybe i will build a server from my house just for this. tell then i will keep everyone in touch. :)

Buster

Post by Buster » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:22 pm

Hi wiseguy73 Go to google calendar and do a search for Tacx Multiplayer there you will see others maybe in your area/timezone who you can ride with :D hope to see and ride with you some time. :wink:

VT Hillclimber

Post by VT Hillclimber » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:00 am

I enjoyed reading this entire forum, and am interested in knowing if a US multiplayer effort still exists. I am not a real competitive rider, but might be interested in riding with you guys if there is a regular weekly thing going on.

Tony Alaska USA

Post by Tony Alaska USA » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:32 pm

Hey VT....ITS ME AGAIN :lol: 8) . Yes the group of guys/ gals I ride with ride on a regular basis. Obviously not so much these past summer months, but they are all ramping up to get going her in about a month. I have actually still been riding the MP option all summer with a few of my Euro buddies about 2-3 times a week. It is truely addicting and fun as hell. We use Skype to chat while we ride and it is truely an amazing time. We use Google Calender to post our rides/ times. If you go to www.googlecalender start a free account and make your user name something like VT Tacx Multiplayer (this way we can search for your calender and see you). Once you have an account search for Tacx Fortius Multiplayer, or any of those words and you should see a ton of calenders pop up. Those are all the others posting ride times on MP. Hope this helps.
Ride Hard or Go Home

Tony Alaska USA

Post by Tony Alaska USA » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:33 pm

Hey VT....ITS ME AGAIN :lol: 8) . Yes the group of guys/ gals I ride with ride on a regular basis. Obviously not so much these past summer months, but they are all ramping up to get going her in about a month. I have actually still been riding the MP option all summer with a few of my Euro buddies about 2-3 times a week. It is truely addicting and fun as hell. We use Skype to chat while we ride and it is truely an amazing time. We use Google Calender to post our rides/ times. If you go to www.googlecalender start a free account and make your user name something like VT Tacx Multiplayer (this way we can search for your calender and see you). Once you have an account search for Tacx Fortius Multiplayer, or any of those words and you should see a ton of calenders pop up. Those are all the others posting ride times on MP. Hope this helps.
Ride Hard or Go Home

VT Hillclimber

Post by VT Hillclimber » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:11 am

Hi Tony, I am very interested in trying it. I am probably not competitive with you guys, but it does seem interesting. I'll try to do the google thing and see where it takes me. Thanks. I can play without the actual multiplayer unit, right?

Return to “Multiplayer”