Multiplayer Poll USA

Everything about Multiplayer

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Nasz

How Many USA Riders are using Multiplayer?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 52

qcscmh

Post by qcscmh » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:15 am

VT Hillclimber wrote:Hi Tony, I am very interested in trying it. I am probably not competitive with you guys, but it does seem interesting. I'll try to do the google thing and see where it takes me. Thanks. I can play without the actual multiplayer unit, right?
Yes, you get a free few weeks trial or purchase the annual license.
Nothing interesting here > http://bikestuff.freehostia.com/

VT Hillclimber

Post by VT Hillclimber » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi Tony, I signed up to Google Calendar. Let me know if you can see me out there now. I can't see myself, but I found you. I don't see any postings for rides though... I will start trying to figure out the multiplayer setup. Let me know if there are any easy ways to jump and try it out by just finding rides in progress. Thanks!

VT Hillclimber

Post by VT Hillclimber » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:36 pm

well, I signed up for google calendar, and can see multiplayer calendars, but there doesn't seem to be anything scheduled. Guess I was premature on starting my subscription, because I can't even find any servers that have anything lined up other than computer opponents, which I assume I can do just as well if not better without multiplayer...
I also signed up for Netathlon, and again may be premature because I can't find anybody riding their either... I think I should have waited til winter. Now I'm subject to the free time expiring without even being able to debug it.

Thoughts anyone, on how I can find more rides to try it out and debug without interfering with real races? Thanks!

tri-xy68

Post by tri-xy68 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:02 pm

did you join the netathlon forum?? try looking up "netathlonbicyclists" on yahoogroups.com

A friend from this Forum sent me the link to join and I get e-mails quite regularly for rides.

I get my I-magic in about 10-14 days - so I should be up and riding soon!

Cheers Peter.

VT Hillclimber

Post by VT Hillclimber » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:06 pm

Thanks. I did join, and I will figure out how to get the emails. I'm really surprised and disappointed on how few servers seem to be active out there. I guess I really picked the wrong time of the year to start my free memberships on Netathlon and Multiplayer.

Am I thinking about this right? I go out to Multiplayer, and Netathlon, and I do not see any of the listed servers active at all. Is there a way to just go out and see who all is racing? Again, maybe it looks a lot different in the middle of winter, but still surprised there isn't more regular activity in the 'after work' timeframe in the US.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:37 pm

VT Hillclimber wrote:Thanks. I did join, and I will figure out how to get the emails. I'm really surprised and disappointed on how few servers seem to be active out there. I guess I really picked the wrong time of the year to start my free memberships on Netathlon and Multiplayer.

Am I thinking about this right? I go out to Multiplayer, and Netathlon, and I do not see any of the listed servers active at all. Is there a way to just go out and see who all is racing? Again, maybe it looks a lot different in the middle of winter, but still surprised there isn't more regular activity in the 'after work' timeframe in the US.
Netathalon appears to have had some server problems in the last few days. It is normally pretty reliable with about a dozen or so servers up. Not sure what is going on. You can go to the NA forum for more info as well:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/ne ... icyclists/

VT Hillclimber

Post by VT Hillclimber » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:55 pm

Thanks Michael, I should be clear. I see 15 servers, all completely inactive. All with a US flag, even though I don't have the box checked to look at my own country. Do you see servers in other parts of the world? Or is Netathlon only for the US? Thanks for helping me with these growing pains. I'm determined to go from isolated to multiplay this year if there is actually such a thing...

Buster

Post by Buster » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:53 pm

VT, I can ride this weekend on Multiplayer can you post some times so i can see when you are available. If possible i will ride with you. Its only been quiet this week because Tony is ill and most the other guys are still outside, as am i just now.
If you have skype that would be great as we can chat :)

tri-xy68

Post by tri-xy68 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:22 pm

I will be up and running very soon - I am keen to do some on-line riding as well. Keep me in the loop.
I'm EST but don't mind getting up early or staying late to get in some rides. Thanks.

Cheers Peter

PS - do Europeans know what EST is, and what do you call your time zone? I guess GMT is the best - I am -5 GMT.

Buster

Post by Buster » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:44 pm

Check out the google bit Peter, and post when you are ready. Look forward to riding with you :D

Tony Alaska USA

Post by Tony Alaska USA » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:59 am

Hey Sorry VT, I was out sick for the past 4 days and not even at my puter to check the Forum. I will add you to my Calander and we will schedule some rides with me and Buster. Glad to show you the ropes and the ins/ outs of Fortius MP. Look forward to doing some rides.
Ride Hard or Go Home

hugebee

Post by hugebee » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:57 am

I almost forgot about all the MP excitement with all that's been going on over the summer. I'm trying to play catch-up now. What's going on with the webracing? Tacx fix anything? I'm ready to sign up now that the cold weather has just hit us here in the east.

Tony Alaska USA

Post by Tony Alaska USA » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:18 pm

huhabee we have been riding all summer :shock: . RLV works great and we now use Skype to chat about what we are going to do. Skype is now our meeting place then we jump right into the Tacx MP SW and open the server, jump in and get going. A lot of people will most likely miss our servers seeing they are only up long enough for the ones on skype to jump in. Where on the East Coast are you and do you have a google calendar account? It's free and it is a way we schedule future rides.
Ride Hard or Go Home

hugebee

Post by hugebee » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:33 am

So if I'm getting this right, there is another service (Skype) that I need to sign on to to communicate when we are going to jump in to the server so we can ride together. And to find out when everybody is to be on Skype I have to check out Google calander. I don't have time for all that. All I want to do is boot up the MP program, find some rides and join in. Until things get simplified and don't eat up my whole window for riding/training I think I'll just stick with my own rides. I'm glad you guys and gals have found something that is fun to do during the winter but I think I'm going to opt for some spin classes at a local gym.

qcscmh

Post by qcscmh » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:41 am

it only takes a few minutes to install skype.

and only about 10 minutes prep ready for the ride waiting on skype for all the participants to get ready. Its just ok to chat till everyone is ready. may sound a lot fuss, but straight forward after u have done it once.

take you longer to travel to/from spin class :wink:
Nothing interesting here > http://bikestuff.freehostia.com/

Tony Alaska USA

Post by Tony Alaska USA » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:08 am

Google Calendar is free and no different than checking your email to see when others are planning on riding. It is where you post your prefered ride times as well. Google changes everyones ride times to your time schedule so the complication of different time zones is one less time restrained :roll: The skype option, which is also free, is just a better way to make sure all who are going to ride are on time and a way to agree on what to ride VR or RLV, and what route. It makes waiting for others to join A LOT quicker, it also allows for some great trash talking while riding. I am not sure how much of an impatient person you are, don't get me wrong this whole MP thing takes some time to get used to and it has its problems, but with time and patients we have found several work arounds and it is the ONLY way I ride/ train/ and race. I do not remember the last time I rode ALONE in the past almost 12 months since MP started, but hey pick your avenue my friend and good luck with your choice.
Ride Hard or Go Home

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:34 pm

hugebee wrote:So if I'm getting this right, there is another service (Skype) that I need to sign on to to communicate when we are going to jump in to the server so we can ride together. And to find out when everybody is to be on Skype I have to check out Google calander. I don't have time for all that. All I want to do is boot up the MP program, find some rides and join in. Until things get simplified and don't eat up my whole window for riding/training I think I'll just stick with my own rides. I'm glad you guys and gals have found something that is fun to do during the winter but I think I'm going to opt for some spin classes at a local gym.
I agree with the others that it isn't that much work. It's probably going to take a lot more extra time and money to go to the spin class and there is a lot you won't get in the class. But I still think your comments also point out the need for substantial improvement in the current system, of which there are many. I just wish they would copy and adopt all of the features of Netathlon and Gamespy, which is very easy to use.

hugebee

Post by hugebee » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:02 pm

Good to read all your replies to find out what all the opinions are. I guess it doesn't sound to bad. But one other concern I had was that I still have the green I-magic which didn't really put me on the same playing level as the Fortius users, as I really didn't care for the way it operated when I tried to ride along-side Fortius users. I missed an opportunity to get a discounted Fortius demo player and have been waiting for another deal. It's just up to my bud that owns the bike shop as to when he's going to part with the present one. $400 off is a good reason to wait. I do like riding the Fortius better.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:05 pm

hugebee wrote:Good to read all your replies to find out what all the opinions are. I guess it doesn't sound to bad. But one other concern I had was that I still have the green I-magic which didn't really put me on the same playing level as the Fortius users, as I really didn't care for the way it operated when I tried to ride along-side Fortius users. I missed an opportunity to get a discounted Fortius demo player and have been waiting for another deal. It's just up to my bud that owns the bike shop as to when he's going to part with the present one. $400 off is a good reason to wait. I do like riding the Fortius better.
Why don't you upgrade to the Fortius software, which is a lot less money than a whole new Fortius. The Imagic works very nicely on the new Fortius software. The Imagic is a very good machine. In fact, if you wanted to upgrade to a Fortius later, you could keep your frame and buy a handlebar controller, resistance unit, and power supply. Everything else is the same.

hugebee

Post by hugebee » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:54 pm

I upgraded the software a year ago. It doesn't work that well. At least not as nicely as the Fortius. The brake units are different. And I think he steering frame has a different potentiometer in it too.

Return to “Multiplayer”