Everybody on Multiplayer!

Everything about Multiplayer

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

Marc

Everybody on Multiplayer!

Post by Marc » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Since I updated my Software to version 2.00.
I'm very curious how the multiplayer mode will work... But since I've noticed there are very few Fortius fans who also did the upgrade.
So till so far I still haven't had the experience of Multiplayer virtual cycling!

There's the Tacx Bot Server, that's out of order... And today I saw another server Which was only riding the additional courses like Velodrome and Extreme MTB... Two courses I don't have...

The reason I send this subject is asking everybody to upgrade and start up the multiplayer action... I really can't wait!!! :D

Tony Alaska USA

Post by Tony Alaska USA » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:02 pm

Hey Marc I beleive the genral idea was for everyone to start around Oct 28th when the Winter Training for most starts. There is a Post with theis talked about. Hope this helps.
Ride Hard or Go Home

Niels

Re: Everybody on Multiplayer!

Post by Niels » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:25 pm

Marc wrote:Since I updated my Software to version 2.00.
I'm very curious how the multiplayer mode will work... But since I've noticed there are very few Fortius fans who also did the upgrade.
So till so far I still haven't had the experience of Multiplayer virtual cycling!

There's the Tacx Bot Server, that's out of order... And today I saw another server Which was only riding the additional courses like Velodrome and Extreme MTB... Two courses I don't have...

The reason I send this subject is asking everybody to upgrade and start up the multiplayer action... I really can't wait!!! :D

Hi Marc

You are right – I have only seen the Tacx bot server…….

I will try to set up a server one of the next days.
I think I will try with some RLV or Catalyst routes.
Maybe the Majorca tour (most be the most common out there). It could also be a catalyst route file that can be downloaded at my site.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Niels on Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc

Post by Marc » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:18 pm

Since I do't have that much RLV's I would suggest to choose from the standard VR terrains...

In first I just want to experiment with the Multiplayer option. So THIS evening I will start up a server with only a few short basic atlantis routes. Just to experience how it works...

Have fun!!!

MikeHanson

Post by MikeHanson » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:51 pm

Marc, Neils

I have ridden on Multiplayer a couple of times now, with a couple of people joining me for a few KM on Sunday evening. It has worked fine for me so far on RLV I haven't tried VR yet.

Unless I have missed something each PC can only be one Multiplayer server at a time and host one route at a time. You can set up the server to abort when the first rider finishes, but if you have this option set to no I think the server just runs continously and allows people to enter and leave when they like, which I think makes it a permanent server until you disconnect it manually.

What isn't clear is where new riders join on a route if the server has started and other people have begun riding, I am assuming everyone starts at the beginning of the route. Perhaps someone from Tacx could answer this if noone else has found out.

I did notice one minor irritation on Sunday evening. After the last of the two riders disconnected and left me on my own, his info bar at the bottom did not dissapear, instead it was replaced with my name and information at the time he left and it stayed there for the rest of the ride. It was a bit odd for a few seconds until I figured out the real me was the one still moving on while the other one remained at the same point of the ride where the rider left.

Animal

Post by Animal » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:53 pm

Can you still chat when the ride started?

MikeHanson

Post by MikeHanson » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:06 pm

Animal wrote:Can you still chat when the ride started?
Never tried it but the manual says Ctrl+C should bring the chat window up, have you tried it?

I tried VR tonight and was not so impressed as with RLV on multiplayer. I tried the Atlantis, Dorado course where the rider goes off track a few times and ended up stuck behind a fence post for a few seconds. Mutiplayer then complained about me being off course and told me to press ESCAPE to get back to where I went off. I did that but nothing changed (other than the message going away), I was able to continue riding, and as far as I could tell was on the right course, but my distance counter stopped. I tried pressing Cancel again but this wanted to cancel the ride, I said no initially but my counters had stopped so my riding wasn't counting. I aborted at that point.

I also found out what happens when you join a ride that another rider has completed. You sit at the start line with a timer showing that does not count down. So from this I can only assume that if you aren't riding when the first (or possibly last) person completes you won't be able to start. I think this means there is no such thing as a permanent server.

MikeHanson

Post by MikeHanson » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:48 pm

http://www.vrcyclist.com now has a Meeting Place where members can post details of any kind of event including online rides using Fortius Multiplayer.

At least one ride per day will be scheduled on my server.

Niels

Majorca RLV multiplayer tonight

Post by Niels » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:11 pm

I have set up an server”cykelmaraton.dk” with Majorca RLV – could someone try if it’s possible to log on to the server. Its running at this moment (26/9 2007) and 1½ hour from now (18:00 to 19:25).

Niels

Marc

Post by Marc » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:21 pm

Hi Niels,

Unfortunately I wasn't at home at that moment, so i didn't see the server. But I don't have the Mallorca RLV, so I couldn't compete...

Otherwise try i lateron with a standard VR terrain, just to see how yje multiplayer mode works...

BTW, we're in the same timezone and I see that you also joined this forum in september 2005...

Niels

Post by Niels » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:21 am

Marc wrote:Hi Niels,

Unfortunately I wasn't at home at that moment, so i didn't see the server. But I don't have the Mallorca RLV, so I couldn't compete...

Otherwise try i lateron with a standard VR terrain, just to see how yje multiplayer mode works...

BTW, we're in the same timezone and I see that you also joined this forum in september 2005...

I will try again tonight and setup the server from 18:00 with start at 19:00 – this time in catalyst mode.
Download and install the following file

Island Ride, HongKong: http://www.cykelmaraton.dk/paFileDB/ind ... load&id=49

Could be nice if someone would join :wink:

Marc

Post by Marc » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:49 pm

Hi Niels,

I'll try to be there, although i can't complete the whole run. I'm home alone with my three little children. Around 19:00 its bedtime :-) so very busy.

But I'll try to make the start!!

Marc

Post by Marc » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:01 am

Niels,

I saw your server and could make the login... But on the moment you started I had to go... But your server setup worked fine.

This Evening at around 20:00 (GMT +1) I'll set up an server for a VR terrain which will start at 21:00.

You don't have to drive with me, but if forum members let me know if they saw my server, I know I use the right firewall and router settings!

<UPDATE>
I'm starting my server right now, but I'm not gonna ride... If anybody on the forum can see my server and can take part in a MP race, please let me know as a reply... Server name will be: CyclingXP

stevepos

CyclingXP

Post by stevepos » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:39 pm

Hi Marc, I coudnt connect to your course. Got an error message that read something like "Cannot establish connection" <IP address> <port no.>.

cheers,

stevep

Niels

Event calendar

Post by Niels » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:52 am

I have setup a small “event calendar” on my site, where Multiplayer’s can announce there MP session.

Feel free to use it :roll:

Note: I am evaluating the “event calendar” script for the next weeks – after that more functions will be available like Self-Registration, Personalised Theme and more.

Niels

http://www.cykelmaraton.dk

tigan_x

Nice site

Post by tigan_x » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:11 pm

hi Niels,

nice site with many downloads to play about with.

excellent concept having a "rides" calendar...i may join you some more, will be interesting when multiplayer really kicks off.

managed to get my a** kicked up the peyresourde tonight. makes a change from riding alone =)

Niels

Re: Nice site

Post by Niels » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:59 am

tigan_x wrote:hi Niels,

nice site with many downloads to play about with.

excellent concept having a "rides" calendar...i may join you some more, will be interesting when multiplayer really kicks off.

managed to get my a** kicked up the peyresourde tonight. makes a change from riding alone =)

Tnx

I thought Fortius was faster than the I-magic on decent and slower on ascent – so if you were my opponent yesterday on the MP, you beat my a.. on the decent :wink:

Rein

Post by Rein » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:34 am

Fortius is much slower on descent due to virtual headwind... The motorbrake starts slowing you down above about 55 km/h. This is a built-in feature to prevent the motorbrake from overheating.

Marc

Post by Marc » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:55 pm

Yesterday I made my first two rides on the Multiplayer... It was an fantastic experience! We only rode with two human and one "computer" racer, but I'm already looking out for a competition with 5! Cause I don't think that th multiplayer is a good thing for an easy training... It's VR competition!

Great!

Now I'm going to make my own server accessable!

Fortius Magical Man

Post by Fortius Magical Man » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:11 pm

Ok guys that is very good to hear that we are making progress in this. A possible problem that customers will have is creating a own server. Please check the manul "settings multiplayer" at
http://www.tacx.com/service.php?fl=true ... %20manuals

If you did not change any router settings, then you cannot make a server (you can but nobody can join you). At the moment we are working on more servers.

Return to “Multiplayer”