Smart trainers vs motor brake trainers in MP

Everything about Multiplayer

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

bigrichard

Smart trainers vs motor brake trainers in MP

Post by bigrichard » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:10 am

I remember back in the day the I-Magic trainer had ascending and descending issues in comparison to the trainers that had the motor brakes when we rode in the multiplayer together. Speeds were different so trying to draft or even stay together was impossible unless you had the same trainer. Now we have Smart trainers coming out and I am wondering if this is going to be an issue again if I have a Smart trainer and I want to do a multiplayer ride with someone who has say a Fortius trainer.
NEO
TTS4 Version 4.22.0.0
42" Panasonic Plasma
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Mobo
Intel core i7 3770K @ 3.9GHz
16GB RAM @ 1600 MHz
Nvidia GTX980 4095 MB
Samsung 840 Pro 256G hard drive
Corsair 860 PSU
Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit

ttelmah

Re: Smart trainers vs motor brake trainers in MP

Post by ttelmah » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:07 pm

That shouldn't matter.
The 'smart' really just means that the trainer can connect to a lot more devices, and may have more intelligence, but the basic 'physics' remains the same.

The equivalence will depend on the model.

Point is that some trainers have the ability to simulate descents, while others don't, and the range of slopes that can be simulated also differs. Now if the chosen ride involves descents then ones which only simulate drag, can't cope. Also if the slope gets significantly steeper than the trainer can handle again there may be problems (though currently TTS4 limits the maximum drag to a 20% slope equivalent, even on the Neo, that can potentially handle 25%, and the 'virtual speed' is meant to provide some equivalence).
So the Flux for example, won't be able to simulate descents, while the Neo will. Nothing to do with them being 'smart', just the nature of their brakes/motor....

Their could be equivalence problems on steeper slopes, but otherwise (for instance), the Neo versus the Fortius, should give reasonably similar rides.

Return to “Multiplayer”