Back from Zwift Island: A report and charge

Everything about Multiplayer

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz

cranker

Back from Zwift Island: A report and charge

Post by cranker » Tue May 12, 2015 12:06 am

I have spent the past couple of months using Zwift and tourdegiro with my computrainer that I purchased so I could try those and have a broader reach.

There is a lot I like about Zwift. The graphics are great. The user community is fantastic - which is a big plus for the program in my opinion. The action is not as good as Netathlon but is getting there. I think that Zwift is here to stay if they can keep improving.

For those who want more detail, I am happy to provide it.

That being said, I do miss my Tacx Fortius. I think that the ride feel is tons better than the Computrainer. I currently have a track bike set up on it and I still have ridden it a fair amount on Netathlon and TTS4 - Velodrome.

My most recent attempt to engage a Multiplayer VR race was a complete disaster!!!! It simply didn't work the way it should have (e.g., players were all over the place - other things that have been mentioned elsewhere on this forum)

My trips around the Zwift Islands makes me wonder what the hell Tacx is thinking.....I have heard that they have little interest in really perfecting the VR components of TTS so that the Multiplayer works. It seems like Zwift is proving that there is a huge market for VR environments with trainers.

I think TTS 4 is a beautiful platform and I hope what I heard was untrue (i.e., about them not being focused on developing it). If they are still interested, I hope they get on it. It would be great to do some real multiplayer races that have value and operate correctly

bigrichard

Re: Back from Zwift Island: A report and charge

Post by bigrichard » Tue May 12, 2015 2:07 am

I really like VR and multiplayer, well I use to back in the beginning before TTS came about. I know exactly what you mean about the participants in a server being all over the place. This is just so unrealistic it's pathetic. I hope some more work does go into it because RLV's just don't do it for me. Somehow being able to ride with others in real time really makes me push harder than I can force myself to do when just riding alone. I might end up making the switch to another trainer next Fall because it seems like Tacx is not stepping up their game.
NEO
TTS4 Version 4.22.0.0
42" Panasonic Plasma
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Mobo
Intel core i7 3770K @ 3.9GHz
16GB RAM @ 1600 MHz
Nvidia GTX980 4095 MB
Samsung 840 Pro 256G hard drive
Corsair 860 PSU
Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Tue May 12, 2015 5:14 am

While we are probably a long way off from Tacx VR trainers being compatible (motorbrake reacts based on controll/terrain in Zwift), seems like there is an interim workaround. If you have a Bushido SMART trainer or a bike that is equipped with ANT+ cadence and rear wheel speed sensors, a rather simple workaround would be to run the gpx file for the Zwift course in TTS, start the course and once rolling, minimize TTS and maximize Zwift. Might be a slight bit of lag between video and bike but speed and cadence would be recorded by Zwift to update the display and TTS would set motorbrake resistance based on the terrain of gpx file.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64 | Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz | GeForce GTX 870M
Samsung 32" LED TV

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue May 12, 2015 9:17 am

ms6073 wrote:While we are probably a long way off from Tacx VR trainers being compatible (motorbrake reacts based on controll/terrain in Zwift), seems like there is an interim workaround. If you have a Bushido SMART trainer or a bike that is equipped with ANT+ cadence and rear wheel speed sensors, a rather simple workaround would be to run the gpx file for the Zwift course in TTS, start the course and once rolling, minimize TTS and maximize Zwift. Might be a slight bit of lag between video and bike but speed and cadence would be recorded by Zwift to update the display and TTS would set motorbrake resistance based on the terrain of gpx file.
I think you would need to make sure you are not using the wheel speed sensor speed & rather use the TTS calculated virtual speed or you would go out of sync as soon as TTS started using virtual speed (descents & steep grades). Interesting work around though!

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sat May 16, 2015 1:11 pm

Tacx Video Production wrote:
ms6073 wrote:While we are probably a long way off from Tacx VR trainers being compatible (motorbrake reacts based on controll/terrain in Zwift), seems like there is an interim workaround. If you have a Bushido SMART trainer or a bike that is equipped with ANT+ cadence and rear wheel speed sensors, a rather simple workaround would be to run the gpx file for the Zwift course in TTS, start the course and once rolling, minimize TTS and maximize Zwift. Might be a slight bit of lag between video and bike but speed and cadence would be recorded by Zwift to update the display and TTS would set motorbrake resistance based on the terrain of gpx file.
I think you would need to make sure you are not using the wheel speed sensor speed & rather use the TTS calculated virtual speed or you would go out of sync as soon as TTS started using virtual speed (descents & steep grades). Interesting work around though!
Thinking about this more, I suspect it will go out of sync even using the watts from TTS, the virtual speed maths in Zwift would have to be spot on the same as that used in TTS, its possible that its the same in which case you will be going the same speed in both software up the hill & thus reach the top at the same time :wink: Could be that the differences are small enough to not be a issue

Return to “Multiplayer”