Flux software upgrade failure

Moderators: mcorn, malfukt, Nasz, Lunatix

Bernard

Flux software upgrade failure

Post by Bernard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Just taken delivery of the Flux got it all set up apps loaded everything working. Then an upgrade in the software is recommended, I follow the protocol. Everything is going well the new software is loaded and then it fails in the reboot. Now I have a dumb trainer. No phone number to call, hours searching for help. Sent a request for help auto reply tells me to expect a reply within 48 hours. I sit here having spent a lot of money now wasting time for probably a bad software design.
questions
1 Where is the reset button to reset it to a default position where it can reload the software? We all have multiple devices which upload software seamlessly. If it fails one can reset it.
2 no direct USB socket to do a hard software update why?
I feel like returning this flux and going elsewhere. I thought to buy from a company based in the Netherland would be a wise choice, seems like I have made a mistake. I feel as dumb as the Flux I have just purchased.

mcorn

Re: Flux software upgrade failure

Post by mcorn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:04 pm

If you don't hear back from Tacx soon, I would contact the dealer where you bought the unit.

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:14 pm

Thanks, Mcorn
If I don't hear back I will send it back. Wiggle are as hard to contact as Tacx. All companies are so big now you can never talk to anyone. I am concerned that it less hassle for Tacx to have this 25 kg trainer with nothing wrong but software issues to be shipped back and forward rather than manufacture a sound product before shipping. I like the trainer its solid build, it feels good quality. but lets itself down with poor software.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:57 pm

It can be hard. None of these units have a fail-safe default button to return it to an original state. Most hardware really does not do this. And USB is generally being abandoned for some type of wireless, so that is how you communicate with most smart devices.

In my experience, even if a firmware update fails with Tacx hardware, you can keep trying until the firmware update is successful. So, I would try again. Be sure you have the latest version of the Utility App and your Android device is as close as possible to the brake and there are no other devices communicating. Not sure if you are using ANT+ or Bluetooth, but do not have both running at the same time. Here is one youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaYQdzmpy_o

Not sure how you first communicated with Tacx, but you can also try email here: support@tacx.com

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks for getting back to me.
I have repeatedly tried to resolve this issue. The utility app still found the Flux and showed speed when the peddles turned. I deleted the app and tried again but to no avail. This has all been done on Bluetooth. I have not connected Ant yet. Thanks for Shane's Vid, I had seen it and stayed with the update to make sure the phone stayed on crouch down whilst it was perch on top of the unit. That's how I knew the software had downloaded ok but failed in the rebooting. I had no other Bluetooth on as I said I followed all the protocols. That what makes the whole experience so disappointing. I like the trainer I like the build quality. I have not had a response from Tacx.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:38 pm

Assume you have unplugged the Flux after failing and then retrying.

You should go to the Google Store to be sure you have the latest version of the utility app.

What kind of Android device do you have? You are sure there are no other Bluetooth devices or transmitters in the area?

If you have a friend with an Apple, you could try that as well.

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Thanks for your support it makes all the difference from being despondent when there is no advice from Tacx. The issue is now resolved. to explain how it this happened, as it may help others.
1 With the reboot failure, the utility app still showed the Flux with serial number green bars lite, and Km/H working but the Tacx training app failing to find the Flux.
2 repeated disconnecting power, switching off Bluetooth, rebooting the phone, switching off wifi, reconnecting everything to no avail.
3 Deleting utility ( this had only been installed today)open app still the same. Disconnect everything and reconnect and the utility app recognises the update for the first time.
4 The Tacx Training app still fails to recognise the Flux. Delete the Training app switched the phone off back on re down loaded the training app and it recognises the Flux, it's working.
This is very flaky software whilst the company puts out smooth advertising all slick and soft. They fail abysmally to provide adequate support in the literature or written into the app's. It would not take much to have these procedure laid out in trouble shooting. This should be easy to find and could be added to the information when purchased. I feel bruised by an unsatisfactory experience when I was looking forward to my first trainer. My advice to Tacx would be to spend more time putting this right with a helpline, a quicker way to help the customer in the literature.
Thanks again for your help mcorn. best wishes Bernard

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:12 am

Glad you got it working.

Return to “Android”