Genius Smart Diameter/Mount broke second time!

general chat

Moderators: malfukt, Steve Newton, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, Nasz

arne1075

Genius Smart Diameter/Mount broke second time!

Post by arne1075 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi,

I bought my TACX Genius Smart in November and was very satisfied until about 800 Kilometers. I heard a small snap during a training and 5 minutes later another one. After that I was wondering, that my results were completely different than before and another calibration has not worked, with the result that it was constandly too loose. After opening the mount I saw that the both notches for the fixation were broken. :shock:

The feedback from TACX Support was to exchange the diameter. I bought one by myself (really thought that this is something you get as replacement from such a company, given that the break is only 1 month old, disappointing! :? ).

I exchanged the mount and after 100 km again the same result, it broke on both sides. The mount sat perfectly in position 2, everything as it should be (according to Youtube videos, TACX manual and tipps). Perfect calibration etc. I am not a professional, on hills I have peaks of 500-700 Watt, but this break should even do 2.000? How can that be? Has anyone else made the same experience? Of course, when I have 15-20% altitude I stand up to pedal to keep speed.

Paying 600-700 EUR for something where a plastic part of 6 EUR brakes is just super annoying :x . I am short before sending the Genius back and searching for an alternative.

It`s sad to say, since I was very satisfied in the beginning. Thanks for any feedback.

//Arne

thebigoneinfront

Re: Genius Smart Diameter/Mount broke second time!

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:15 am

That's an issue with those brakes that has been criticised a number of times already. Poor design choice to have those little plastic notches bear that load, in an otherwise good product. It helps to wedge some small solid pieces of metal or wood into the unused recesses. Is it possible that you apply a bit much pressure? Did you calibrate after warming up the brake?
arne1075 wrote:I bought one by myself (really thought that this is something you get as replacement from such a company, given that the break is only 1 month old, disappointing! :? ).
This sounds like a warranty case. Don't know where you are located and where you bought the trainer - it simply may be that it's your retailer's job to care for replacement parts, not Tacx's.

arne1075

Post by arne1075 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi,

thanks for the quick feedback and good to hear that it is not just my problem (thought I might be stupid :shock: ). I also cannot understand why they use plastic notches for such a product, in particular at that Point, where it really Needs to cope with a lot of power,... just redicolous :roll: .

I ordered me another Diameter, hopefully it Comes soon. I had a similiar idea and will try it asap my new one is in house and will Report back.

//Arne

arne1075

Post by arne1075 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:56 pm

...and yes, I am warming up the brake 10-15 minutes before calibration.

Thnaks!

//Arne

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:33 pm

arne1075 wrote:I ordered me another Diameter, hopefully it Comes soon. I had a similiar idea and will try it asap my new one is in house and will Report back.
I had the same issue when I had a legacy Bushido. I reinforced the slots by re-purposing plastic from the old part by cutting them to fit into the empty slots in the new positon block resolved the issue.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:29 pm

I have suggested that the position number 3 makes the entire structure more durable. If the frame of the bike allows, use tyre T1397 (32-622) and position number 3.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

arne1075

Post by arne1075 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:34 pm

All,

thank you for your great Feedback. I have used now hard plasic clue to just closé the 1 and 3 Slots what is working fine now. But still, for a 700 EUR product this is just an evidence of incapacity. With that it is not enough, let me tell you my further experience with TACX, which unfortunately leads me to be short before leaving that brand.

1) Diameter Broken after 500km. TACX Support: "This Needs to be exchanged, go to your dealer". I bought the break online, hence I ordered the Diameter and have done it myself to be up and running fast again.

2) Two Trainings later, Diameter broke again. TACX Support: "You have installed the break wrong, then such things happen". This is just not true!! :x I have done it according to several TACX Manuals and movies and since I had the Problem before I was aware what I need to take care of.

Now the next chapter in my journey.

3) After I have used hard plastic glue to Close Slot 1 and 3 in the Diameter it seemed to work. After 300 km the break made strange noise and I had a very loud clicking which got louder and louder the slower I drove (e.g. uphill). The next ticket was needed. Answer from TACX after I sent a Sound file, "we will send you a new middle part" for Exchange.

4) The middle part arrrived after 5 days, which is ok and fair, BUT now Comes the next chapter

5) I unpacked the part and you guess what? The Diameter was already broken!!! I took me some minutes to breath and calm down. Since I had my original role I tried to Forget that redicolous Support behaviour and just applied my existing Diameter and built everything together.

NOW THE FINAL CHAPTER:

5) After installing everything and being ready for warming up the break for calibration..... nothing happens. Power plug works, ANT works, Connection to TTS4 works, BUT, the middle part the shipped is just not working! It seems to be used and also broken, like the Diameter.

Unfortunately this is not the first time I had no luck with such products and I am wondering if fate is playing a game with me, but that is really the most up**** I ever had.

I requested a complete new break now from TACX, let`s see how they react. If I do not get one, I will send that stuff to my advocate and the break back to TACX.

It is really sad, since I think it is a very good product if they would Change some small Things and also Support Quality.

Would be great to know if someone has the same experience and maybe changed product? Do you know good alternatives for TACX?

Best
Arne

Return to “General”