Heart Conditions

general chat

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Steve Newton, Tacx support, Nasz

waywardcyclist

Heart Conditions

Post by waywardcyclist » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:11 am

A thread to discuss any issues, thoughts, warning signals, or questions regarding your engine.
Neo and Genius, TTS 4.22, Macbook Pro (i7, 250GB SSD, 8GB ram, Win7/Bootcamp), BenQ W6000, 150" screen (380cm).
http://waywardcyclist.wordpress.com

waywardcyclist

Re: Heart Conditions

Post by waywardcyclist » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:15 am

[This is a reply from another thread but it seemed more practical to move it to a heart 'hardware
discussion rather than the 'software' thread]
gruffle wrote:touch of the AF there Wayward?
Hope the treatment works well for you.Best of luck.

my little episode out of the blue that wiped me out one night brought out the best of the nhs.

first response medic turned up soon enough, took her almost an hour of increasingly strident requests to get an ambulance (not exactly relaxing for the patient). Landed in A+E and was completely ignored, other than a swab for MRSA, for over 2 hours so got up a walked out, missus grumbling behind me. At which point I was followed to the carpark by a nurse who got told I'd rather end my days somewhere more comfortable thankyou very much rather than being ignored in a A+E department. She seemed quite happy with that and went back to chatting with her colleagues.

Fortunately I also had private health which my GP fixed me up with and various tests have me praying it is what they call a "Lone AF". So far so good. Mind you he did also tell me I shouldn't drink ...bit of a comedian I guess
Bummer, Gruffle - hope you are ok and no underlying conditions were found.
We're both a bunch of heart misfits. I do not have AF, but rather VT. I'm no Dr. but there are differences (neither are any fun) between AF and VT (one originating from the Atria (upper part) of the heart, the former originating from the Ventricles (lower part) of the heart. Even between these two, there are subsets. Left side vs Right Side, Polymorphic vs Mono.

Atrial fibrillation (A-Fib, or AF), is the most common type of arrhythmia. Many impulses begin and spread through the atria, competing for a chance to travel through the AV node. The resulting rhythm is disorganized, rapid, and irregular. Because the impulses are traveling through the atria in a disorderly fashion, it results in loss of coordinated atrial contraction.

Ventricular tachycardia, or “V-tach,” is also a type of tachycardia, or a rapid heart beat, that starts in the ventricles (lower part of the heart), rather than the atria. "The ventricles are the main pumping chambers of the heart. This is a potentially life-threatening arrhythmia because it may lead to ventricular fibrillation, asystole, and sudden death."
It can last a few seconds or more. A rapid rhythm originating from the lower chambers of the heart. The rapid rate prevents the heart from filling adequately with blood, and less blood is able to pump through the body. If it lasts over 30 seconds it's called sustained ventricular tachycardia.

I have sustained VT, typically at 190 - 230bpm for up to 2 hours. Sometimes if it's "low" (180-200bpm) I'll try to continue riding though it. But if it's 220+bpm my body really breaks down as well as my mind so I just pull over and wait, and wait. The lack of blood is strange, I really can just sit there straddling the top tube, looking a leaf for 40 minutes, mesmorized by how complex it is. Once my rhythm flips back to normal after 5-120 minutes, I look up and everything in the world makes sense again. 'Odd' doesn't begin to describe it.

My right ventricular wall is thin (many endurance athletes have this) but hopefully it isn't 'too thin' or fatty. This is often the case with young people in sports who suddenly die on the field at age 17-30 with no known signs or symptoms. It's tough to catch.

I've had at least 25 or more occasions where my VTach lasted longer than 30 minutes. After 4 surgeries in 2013 (3 unsuccessful Endocardial Ablations, 1 Epicardial Ablation) the last surgery finally fixed the V-Tach. I joke that I spent more time under anesthesia and in the ICU than I did riding this year - but they were nice naps ;) However, I still have some lingering questions and issues (most notably the fact that one doctor thinks I can never exercise again (at any sport or activity over 120bpm), when another thinks I'm good to go). It's been about 2-3 years since I've done a ride where my heart wasn't on my mind, ..or on my sleeve.
Neo and Genius, TTS 4.22, Macbook Pro (i7, 250GB SSD, 8GB ram, Win7/Bootcamp), BenQ W6000, 150" screen (380cm).
http://waywardcyclist.wordpress.com

gruffle

Post by gruffle » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:28 am

Damn - that makes my glitch sounds like a mild headache, even if I did have to be scraped off the floor.
I really feel for you, the constant concern must be pretty debilitating itself.
But hey, you reckon it is now fixed, so great news.

Without in any way attempting medical advice, life's good, go enjoy.

(Mind you that rig of yours could well be responsible for triggering a few heart stopping moments for some here).

clk4suport

Post by clk4suport » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi there,

Its great to see it.

Thank You :D

Return to “General”