afnug

Re: Problems with Streetview on GPS-rides since 15th February

Post by afnug » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:56 pm

Patdu16 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:56 pm
hi,

In the tacx website here:

https://tacx.com/product/google-license/

it's write: Please note that Google Street View is not available until June 2017.

???????
Can anybody associated with Tacx comment on this, where do I apply for a refund if this is the case.

Lunatix
Site Admin

Post by Lunatix » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:39 pm

Only way is the contact support or sales. The forum is a user forum where i and my team reply on in our spare time.

afnug

Post by afnug » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Lunatix wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:39 pm
Only way is the contact support or sales. The forum is a user forum where i and my team reply on in our spare time.
I appreciate your replies, it is the only info we receive, can you comment on your post of !6th March ETA next week v the info on the Tacx website quoting June ETA.

Lunatix
Site Admin

Post by Lunatix » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:03 pm

Our deadline to fix it was June :-).

So they told people it was fixed in "june". This is more of a "defo fixed in june note" then anything else really.

afnug

Post by afnug » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:07 pm

Lunatix wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:03 pm
Our deadline to fix it was June :-).

So they told people it was fixed in "june". This is more of a "defo fixed in june note" then anything else really.
Well done for beating the deadline if it is now working, I wish Tacx were as forthcoming with info as you.

jaricketts

Post by jaricketts » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:31 pm

Its still not working and this is all very disappointing and frustrating. I spend a couple of weeks in France in June each year, on the bike staying in a couple of places, doing day rides and rides between hotels. This is a supported holiday, that is, if I have a serious mechanical, a vehicle comes and picks me and the bike up and takes me to the nearest place to get a fix. Ideally I need to be on roads that a van can get to and in previous years I have planned routes for each day, ridden them on my Tacx trainer and made sure, through the streetview that I can be picked up anywhere along the route. Ocassionally I have had to modify the route several times to get the right type of road as its not always obvious from the satellite view. Not having the streetview available means I won't be able to do the same this year and will have to postpone. What's equally galling is that Tacx have dropped the licence fee to 20 euros from 30, so I have paid the full price for a years licence, can't use all the functionality and new purchasers can get a ten euro discount. I am thinking of emailing Tacx and suggest those who have paid the full fee for a years licence and now can't use the full functionality they purchased should have access to a library of films, similar to the GPS rides in Bikenet, until the streetview is fixed, so that at least we can have access to a more realistic experience than just following a dot on a satellite image.

jaricketts

Post by jaricketts » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:02 pm

I contacted Tacx support this morning repeating what I put in my earlier post. This is their reply.

Our apologies about the inconvenience.
The problem will be fixed in less than two weeks.
We will give you two films of 9.90 as compensation.
Give us the name and T number of the video and we will send you the download and license code.
Kind Regards
Tacx Support

Good to know it won't be too long before we are back up and running and kind of them to offer compensation. They might offer to you if you ask??

afnug

Post by afnug » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:55 pm

jaricketts wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:02 pm
I contacted Tacx support this morning repeating what I put in my earlier post. This is their reply.

Give us the name and T number of the video and we will send you the download and license code.
Kind Regards
Tacx Support

Good to know it won't be too long before we are back up and running and kind of them to offer compensation. They might offer to you if you ask??
I too contacted tacx, I didn't get an apology or the offer of 2 films, but they confirmed it will be fixed in less than 2 week.

Sincy

Post by Sincy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:10 pm

I tried to have a look into this a bit further, as many of us have paid for a 12 month contract to use Google Streetview. Basically as far as I can see this is a break in the contract agreement. We pay for 12 months and don't get it. it seems the fault in the breakdown of the service was due to Google changing things. As a commercial user of Google Streetview, Tacx should have been notified by Google of the changes and as such should have taken steps to ensure minimal disruption to the service.

Tacx could say they are a reseller of the Google license, which is true, but it utilizes the Tacx system to work on the TTS software.

I have sent them a message saying what has happened to me, and that I paid for 12 months and got less than 11 months. Also that I believe they have broken the contract. Will let you know the response.

drewtoncrane

Post by drewtoncrane » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks Sincy

nice approach - thanks for sharing - it crossed my mind but on the basis my licence expires in a day or so it was essentially pennies

I do think a 'polite' campaign on #twitter et al which says that Google need to inform people before the deployment of changes / upgrades may assist matters

ttelmah

Post by ttelmah » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:23 am

I had originally contacted Tacx when Streetview crashed. At the time they replied with the old chestnut to reduce the number of stored runs (which I have to do every few weeks anyway). I then didn't follow up again, since this thread started. As it was still dragging on, I decided to re-contact them pointing out just how long the service had not been working for me...
I got the same reply as afnug, and once the videos turn up, provided Google is fixed in a 'couple of weeks', I'll be fairly happy.

In part this has all come about because Tacx have 'let things ride' on the Google part of the application, so they are still using the same library they compiled with quite a long time ago, which is now too outdated to work since the Google update. However the other part unfortunately is with Google themselves. They had a product in Earth, that was a real 'winner' and could have become even better. The 'replacement', has never been as good, and appears to be becoming worse with every update. Really sad... :(

As it stands, the product is "not of merchantable quality", since several of the advertised features do not work....

Mickb

Post by Mickb » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:23 am

From my reading of this, there now seems to be three responses:
I too contacted tacx, I didn't get an apology or the offer of 2 films, but they confirmed it will be fixed in less than 2 week
I contacted Tacx support & explained how I first reported this fail two days after it originally happened. I was trying to pre-ride routes for a trip a month later & wanted to use Google Street View.
I recently contacted them again to point how how I had been without this paid for feature for over a month.
Got the following reply:
Dear Mick,

We will give you one 9.90 film as compensation,
Choose a video from our website:
https://tacx.com/products/tacx-films/

Kind Regards
Tacx Support
Having now read this forum again & seen that others are being offered two videos, I have re-contacted support for clarification on what the criteria is for deciding on the number of videos. It appears to me that we have all been without the feature for a similar time & that a standard compensation award should apply to everybody.
Once I hear back I will post the definitive explanation.
Last edited by Mickb on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

mickyduck

Post by mickyduck » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:17 am

I sent a polite query re time scale expected to fix about two weeks ago and was offered nothing.. BUT they have been very good to me in the past so not going to kick up a fuss over a 10 Euro film... obviously happy to have one if they implement a standard compensation scheme :D

Mickb

Post by Mickb » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 pm

BUT they have been very good to me in the past so not going to kick up a fuss over a 10 Euro film
I can also vouch for excellent treatment by Tacx support. (I have paid good money though & should expect no less really.)
However, when I think about it, the excellent treatment has always been rectifying faults; largely by replacing equipment which has been down to their product failing. Much of the information I have required to tweek or work around software anomalies, I have got from this forum. So, in effect, I find I am being grateful for a company putting right its own faults!!
Since buying my original trainer, I cannot recall any period where everything I wanted to utilise (hardware & software) has been working perfectly. Always just good enough to be able to justify not kicking up a fuss! Don't get me wrong, my Tacx trainers have been a great training aid and only this latest failure has ever really proved to be a major inconvenience.
In my opinion, there are lots of us owners who are patient & willing to look for the positives rather than complain & perhaps we should be a little more assertive in order to encourage Tacx (& or Google) to be a little more rigorous in its quality control.
It's not so much the compensation itself (one or two films in this case will cost them peanuts) but the fact that customers are registering their discontent & requiring action to be taken. Maybe Tacx need encouraging to lean on Google, maybe it's they themselves who have been lax???
Also, it highlights the fact that it seems as if no consistent response is being applied by support. Pointing this out is what will hopefully drive better quality service in the future!

CVOLVO.COM

Post by CVOLVO.COM » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:57 pm

I strongly believe that TACX are not blameless, but historically when Google changed their API and we lost 3D Google Earth, that was the opportunity for TACX to re-tool their implementation. For whatever the reasons, essentially the Google embedded functionality became unsupported. Although we seemed to only loose 3D, the inevitable further failures were sown. Having worked in IT, I can only assume that Google conveyed their December 2015 changes with enough lead time for TACX to implement a change. This was not performed and now TACX are scrambling to play catch-up. I am encouraged by all the patient clients like myself who are awaiting a permanent solution and a return of the functionality we thrive on.

afnug

Post by afnug » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:10 pm

Mickb wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:23 am
Having now read this forum again & seen that others are being offered two videos, I have re-contacted support for clarification on what the criteria is for deciding on the number of videos. It appears to me that we have all been without the feature for a similar time & that a standard compensation award should apply to everybody.
Once I hear back I will post the definitive explanation.

I agree with the standard compensation for everybody, the present approach does not seem very professional, I look forward to the definitive explanation, I think they could improve their communication, an email explaining the situation would have helped.

wasupwitdat1

Post by wasupwitdat1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:43 pm

Mickb wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 pm

I can also vouch for excellent treatment by Tacx support. (I have paid good money though & should expect no less really.)
However, when I think about it, the excellent treatment has always been rectifying faults; largely by replacing equipment which has been down to their product failing. Much of the information I have required to tweek or work around software anomalies, I have got from this forum. So, in effect, I find I am being grateful for a company putting right its own faults!!
Since buying my original trainer, I cannot recall any period where everything I wanted to utilise (hardware & software) has been working perfectly. Always just good enough to be able to justify not kicking up a fuss! Don't get me wrong, my Tacx trainers have been a great training aid and only this latest failure has ever really proved to be a major inconvenience.
In my opinion, there are lots of us owners who are patient & willing to look for the positives rather than complain & perhaps we should be a little more assertive in order to encourage Tacx (& or Google) to be a little more rigorous in its quality control.
It's not so much the compensation itself (one or two films in this case will cost them peanuts) but the fact that customers are registering their discontent & requiring action to be taken. Maybe Tacx need encouraging to lean on Google, maybe it's they themselves who have been lax???
Also, it highlights the fact that it seems as if no consistent response is being applied by support. Pointing this out is what will hopefully drive better quality service in the future!
I don't agree with much of what you said at all. Why did TTS1 go to TTS2 and then TTS3 and here we are with TTS4. I never got fixes to my support tickets or reimbursed for the monies I paid for those other TTS nightmares. The only help or direction has come from these forums. My most recent support ticket for an issue with TTS4 VR was a reply from support that failed. I don't know why I have ever wasted my time contacting support. The software, well some parts of it, have gotten better but was it the Tacx team of engineers or someone else that actually fixed stuff. Honestly, I don't know why I have stayed with this company, maybe it's just because it's the Devil I know, but I am on my 3rd trainer from Tacx. It will most likely be my last because I'm getting to old to train or care to train anymore.
NEO W2017
TTS4 4.22.7.0
Sony 49X900E 4K TV
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Mobo
Intel i7 3770 @ 3.9 GHz
16Gb Ram @ 1600 MHz
Nvidia GTX 980 4095 GDDR5 Mem
Samsung 840 Pro 256G Hard Drive
Corsair 860 PSU
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Mickb

Post by Mickb » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:33 pm

wasupwitdat1 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:43 pm
I don't agree with much of what you said at all. Why did TTS1 go to TTS2 and then TTS3 and here we are with TTS4. I never got fixes to my support tickets or reimbursed for the monies I paid for those other TTS nightmares.
I can only speak for my own experience which only involves two trainers (Genius & Neo) & TTS4. The software has worked pretty well up to now for me (perhaps I am not that demanding). When the GPS facility was working with 3D & Street View, I mainly used that as it suited my requirements. Having experimented with some other providers during this gliche, I realise how good this part of TTS was when it was all working & am looking forward to it returning, fully functional again.
Admittedly, you need to prepare the GPS routes with elevation data & ready smoothed & then import as the internal GPS editing function has always been next to useless; plus the video player(s) can be somewhat wonky; (.......Oh, & the velodrome experience is not 100% etc etc).
That said, support has provided me with one repair & one replacement Genius unit following the well documented bearing problems. They didn't even require me to return the repaired unit before shipping another so I had no break in training. After a third failure, they supplied a Neo at a heavily discounted price as recompense for the trouble I had. They even arranged for the custom manufacture of an extra wide spacer for me to help fit my disc braked Giant Defy more accurately.
The fact is that they have at least made a gesture in supplying a free video for the latest inconvenience.

You sound a little despondent. Hopefully, life over the pond under The Illustrious Donald J T will help you to forget your Tacx woes & make your training great again!

ttelmah

Post by ttelmah » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:28 pm

Happened to be raining today, so used the trainer at lunchtime.
There was an 'announcement' up at the start of the 'news' page, saying that their Google implementation would be offline for about a day, middle of next week, while a fix was loaded, and that a new copy of TTS would follow soon to fix the problems. I didn't read it in detail, since I wanted to get on and ride, and assumed it'd still be there when I finished. However when I finished my ride it had disappeared and I was back to the top news item being the 30% off TCXMania offer that expired about 20 days ago....
However does suggest that something is likely to be happening next week. :)

CVOLVO.COM

Post by CVOLVO.COM » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:47 pm

I could not resist: Is this a glimpse at a potential StreetView fix next week or was it an early April Fool's Day prank?

Return to “FAQ - Tacx Trainer Software 4”