Problems with Streetview on GPS-rides since 15th February

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Fortius Magical Man

Mickb

Re: Problems with Streetview on GPS-rides since 15th February

Post by Mickb » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:21 pm

Hope this gets back up and working soon. Got a sportive in 8 weeks and wanted to ride the route on the trainer before I do it. So looks like this isn't happening anytime soon.....
I was working on routes in a similar way when the problems started. The GPS functionality seemed to work for me as long as I turned off street view but my Google license expires soon & so I started exploring alternatives since 30 Euro is a lot for a partially working facility. Presently, I am enjoying a 30 day free trial of "Bkool Simulator". As long as you have a "Smart Trainer", this is an option for GPS based rides. It will convert your GPX files to 3D world automatically as long as any route you up load is <60 km & doesn't contain gradients >15% (Sort of Zwift but with routes based in reality) or you can ride unrestricted routes in a purely map based format. I have also used some of the "Sessions" as they are called. These include 3D, Map & Video routes (Bkool & user created) - all ready to ride. Thought all would be fixed & I would be back on TTS before the 30 days trial period was up but not so sure now. Monthly fee, after trial, is £7.99 (UK) It's not as good as TTS when street view & 3D work but that is becoming a fading memory now! So far Bkool has not crashed & the trial includes access to all their video collection, live activities etc etc. (Not sure of the quality but as I only use a small laptop screen, these videos display adequately for me)

Lunatix
Site Admin

Post by Lunatix » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:49 pm

Update:

We have to rework the browser used in TTs4 to work with the new changes for Streetview.
We've disabled streetview completely so TTs4 stops crashing due to that error and added a basic html page.

It is our number 1 priority to get this back online.

drewtoncrane

Post by drewtoncrane » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks for the update

Moutschen

Post by Moutschen » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks Lunatix!
Best wishes
Michel

kuhnull

Post by kuhnull » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:31 am

Hope you will be online with Streetview soon. I had no problems with Streetview the last weeks (used it every day). In the moment I am in preparation for the Tour of Flandres - now only with helicopter view and no Streetview pics. Not very coustomer friendly solution for me - and perhaps all the other quiet Tacx TTS4 users. :(

Lunatix
Site Admin

Post by Lunatix » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:47 am

kuhnull wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:31 am
Hope you will be online with Streetview soon. I had no problems with Streetview the last weeks (used it every day). In the moment I am in preparation for the Tour of Flandres - now only with helicopter view and no Streetview pics. Not very coustomer friendly solution for me - and perhaps all the other quiet Tacx TTS4 users. :(
Since all users that didn't crash just had an older caches it will eventually crash even for you. That's why we cut it down for everyone involved, it will cause a crash after aprox 30mins in for us - some users report a 1hour + some even report a 5min in crash. All the same crash tho.

As I said we're working on it and once it's ready I expect tacx to send out the news to all users.

ttelmah

Post by ttelmah » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:46 am

Mine was even faster than that. Perhaps 100yards...

Just tested, and with your 'disabled' version it runs fine on the overhead view, so it was the same problem. What particular cache is it?. Trying to work out why mine was so bad?. It was immediately after I'd had just under a month, not being able to get the software to correctly register, got it at last to register, and it went wrong the next day. Could this have affected the 'cache' involved (since it hadn't been working for a month)?.

Lunatix
Site Admin

Post by Lunatix » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:12 pm

ttelmah wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:46 am

Just tested, and with your 'disabled' version it runs fine on the overhead view, so it was the same problem. What particular cache is it?. Trying to work out why mine was so bad?. It was immediately after I'd had just under a month, not being able to get the software to correctly register, got it at last to register, and it went wrong the next day. Could this have affected the 'cache' involved (since it hadn't been working for a month)?.
No it isn't one of our caches, so it's more your local browser/google rolling the new api out etc. We didn't try to pinpoint that part as it has nothing to do with our fix. Sorry.

Sincy

Post by Sincy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:59 pm

OK maybe this is simple, but can you not just use Bing street view? Seems like Google have got us all by the balls with this one (sorry if there are ladies reading, as you have no balls to be had by).

So can Bing not be used? I know their street view is not as good as Google but their overhead view is better. The we don't all have to fork out £30 every year.

Just putting it out there - any thoughts?

afnug

Post by afnug » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:02 pm

Sincy wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:59 pm

Just putting it out there - any thoughts?
I don't know the coverage of Bing Maps Streetside, but its not available in my part of West Yorkshire England (a well populated urban area close to Leeds) Google Street view is available in most places.

I don't think Bing would be a good replacement for most users.

Lunatix
Site Admin

Post by Lunatix » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:35 am

We've looked into Bing maps and if we just take 10 random movies none of those locations are populated with images.

The images they got are stunning but it's only some major cities really. The list is rather small.

bobetskii

Post by bobetskii » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi all

Has anyone used or come accross a try before you buy or trial version of tacx google maps?

It would cost 30 euro per year to use at present but given all the posts regarding issues i would like to try free for a couple of weeks at least.

thanks

drewtoncrane

Post by drewtoncrane » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:20 pm

I've bought a google licence every year for last four years - street view ride was fine until last month

Sincy

Post by Sincy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:17 pm

So I take it that the Google streetview is still not working. Not tried it for a while and now license has run out and don't want to buy until it's fixed.

good point re the Bing street view. I looked again and the coverage it rubbish. it was just a thought?

ttelmah

Post by ttelmah » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:27 pm

Lunatix wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:12 pm
ttelmah wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:46 am

No it isn't one of our caches, so it's more your local browser/google rolling the new api out etc. We didn't try to pinpoint that part as it has nothing to do with our fix. Sorry.
Fair enough.
I was hoping the identifying what made it so bad for me, might have a clue as to a route to getting it working again.
No such luck... :(

bmurph79@gmail.com

Post by bmurph79@gmail.com » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:34 am

Well at least I got some help here. Tacx support told me that it was my 2 virus scanners that were causing the software to crash and suggested that I turn both of them off and run my computer like that if I wanted to use TTS. Some real brains working there alright!!!

Lunatix
Site Admin

Post by Lunatix » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:55 am

We have a new fix in place - we are testing it as we speak.

mcinner

Post by mcinner » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:37 pm

That's good news!
I'm looking forward to get a fix.

By the way - today it is 1 month since the problem occured!

@Lunatix: the problem with black frames still exists or did they manage...?
Last edited by mcinner on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

afnug

Post by afnug » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:39 pm

Lunatix wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:55 am
We have a new fix in place - we are testing it as we speak.
Good news I hope, thanks for the update.

drewtoncrane

Post by drewtoncrane » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:49 pm

Lunatix .. would you be kind enough to provide a brief overview / explanation of what you have done in developing the fix - even if I don't fully understand what is said in the explanation - I am still interested to know how the issue arose and what has been done in order to fix it.

Thanks in advance

Return to “FAQ - Tacx Trainer Software 4”