New user wants to create his first GPS ride

Everything about Training Profiles & routes

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz, Erik

Post Reply
gwerking
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:38 am

New user wants to create his first GPS ride

Post by gwerking » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:13 pm

I have successfully set up my genius and now want to ride my first created GPS ride. This cool software is a little overwhelming. In my neighborhood of Salt Lake City Utah (USA) we have a ride called "Immigration Canyon". That is the first ride I would like to try as it is not too difficult. When I tried to create the ride using the 3d Google map it was difficult and cumbersome, so I was wondering if there is a easier way. I am considering getting 3D Route Builder and I am asking for advice, and maybe some simple step by step instructions to create the "Immigration Canyon" ride, and then train on it.

Thank you.

Greg

κεχαριτωμένη

gwerking
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:38 am

Re: New user wants to create his first GPS ride

Post by gwerking » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:41 pm

I found the ride I want to use on map my ride.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/238293677

I would be grateful is someone could share with me the step by step instructions to import this into my Tacx software so I can start a training ride.

Thanks

Greg

κεχαριτωμένη

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7684
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Re: New user wants to create his first GPS ride

Post by mcorn » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:48 am

gwerking wrote:I found the ride I want to use on map my ride.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/238293677

I would be grateful is someone could share with me the step by step instructions to import this into my Tacx software so I can start a training ride.
Greg-

The normal process would be to export this as a GPX or KML file from the MayMyRides website (right side of page) to your hard drive on your PC and then use the Import/Export Menu (Import Training - GPS File) in TTS4 to import a GPS file. If the file is in correct form, it will work quickly and easily.

I downloaded the KML file form the MapMyRides website and tried to import it into TTS4 but it was rejected as having incomplete data. (I later saw that both the GPX and KML files were missing altitude data.) Frequently these websites have non-conforming GPS files that will not work, so you just have to keep trying.

I have a program called 3D Route Builder which uses Google Earth to add altitude data to files, so I did that. The program also has a smoothing function, which removes sudden altitude changes that often occur and make it very hard to ride due to altitude errors. After adding the altitude data and smoothing it, it imported into TTS4 without any problem.

If you send me a personal message using the forum and give me your email address, I can send you the corrected KML and GPX files. You can use either one. You can also view the KML file with Google Earth, including Street View.

brenda
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: New user wants to create his first GPS ride

Post by brenda » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi Greg,

3D Route Builder is a good option to choose, if you plan on creating a lot of GPX rides.

You can also use the online utility that I wrote: http://www.potter.ca/Biking/smoother/gpxsmoother.html. (The advantage being that there is no cost.) It is a little more work, because it will add a flat altitude to the GPX file so you can import it, and you then need to update the elevation in the Tacx route editor.

Brenda.

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7684
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Re: New user wants to create his first GPS ride

Post by mcorn » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:05 pm

Brenda's approach is probably a little simpler and she has graciously provided this nifty little program for FREE. She has also allowed it to be posted at:

http://www.lunicus.org/tacx/GPXsmoother.htm

brenda
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: New user wants to create his first GPS ride

Post by brenda » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:16 pm

The version at http://www.lunicus.org/tacx/GPXsmoother.htm is an older version that does not add altitude. Lunicus needs to update his software :). The version at http://www.potter.ca/Biking/smoother/gpxsmoother.html provides more functionality (including adding altitude).

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7684
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Re: New user wants to create his first GPS ride

Post by mcorn » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:57 pm

brenda wrote:The version at http://www.lunicus.org/tacx/GPXsmoother.htm is an older version that does not add altitude. Lunicus needs to update his software :). The version at http://www.potter.ca/Biking/smoother/gpxsmoother.html provides more functionality (including adding altitude).
I did not know the versions are different as I never actually tried it.

However, I just tried using your program to add flat 100 meter altitude data to the MapMyRides Emigration_Canyon GPX file, but I could not get the file created by your program to import into eitherTTS4 or into my Garmin Mapsource program, which also reads GPX files. The only way I could get this MapMyRide no-altitude file to work was to use 3D Route Builder as described above.

I was using Notepad to copy and paste your program's modification. After it wouldn't work, I thought that Notepad might be the problem, so I tried a program called XML Notepad and I get a lot of XML errors about invalid an child element. Even though I can see that 100 meter altitude data is in your modified file, when I open this file in 3D Route Builder, it shows 0 altitude, not 100 meters.

Any ideas?

Also, the download button does not work and I have to copy and paste everything into a text file (renamed to gpx).

User avatar
Nasz
Moderator
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:02 am
Location: McLaren Vale, South Australia
Contact:

Re: New user wants to create his first GPS ride

Post by Nasz » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:25 am

brenda wrote:The version at http://www.lunicus.org/tacx/GPXsmoother.htm is an older version that does not add altitude. Lunicus needs to update his software :). The version at http://www.potter.ca/Biking/smoother/gpxsmoother.html provides more functionality (including adding altitude).
Oops - thought I'd published the updated version! Will do that shortly... sorry :oops:
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy

Old RLV TTS Files / RLV GE Routes / GPX Smoother / TTS4.x RLV Fix / Conconi Test / Training Plans, etc.,
http://www.lunicus.org/tacx.htm

brenda
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: New user wants to create his first GPS ride

Post by brenda » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:15 pm

I was able to load the result of running the smoothing program on the Emigration Canyon Ride into the TTS software using both the download button and the copy-paste method.

I did have trouble when I attempted to add the real elevation back in the TTS editor, because there is a bug in the TTS editor where it won't handle a lot of points. If I split the file in two sections I can get the elevation from the TTS editor. However, that isn't a convenient way to add altitude. I therefore added a "Add Elevation from Google Maps Elevation Service" button to the smoother utility. I haven't added this in the past, because I'm not riding GPS routes with the "real" altitude, and because there are limitations on free usage of the Google Maps Service.

3D Route Builder is obviously the better option for you to use, but I would love to figure out why the smoother didn't work for you. I suspect that part of the file didn't get copied into Notepad. I'd appreciate it if you could send me a pm with your browser information (name, operating system, version) and attach the file that you created as well.

Thanks,
Brenda

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7684
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Re: New user wants to create his first GPS ride

Post by mcorn » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:43 pm

brenda wrote:I was able to load the result of running the smoothing program on the Emigration Canyon Ride into the TTS software using both the download button and the copy-paste method.

I did have trouble when I attempted to add the real elevation back in the TTS editor, because there is a bug in the TTS editor where it won't handle a lot of points. If I split the file in two sections I can get the elevation from the TTS editor. However, that isn't a convenient way to add altitude. I therefore added a "Add Elevation from Google Maps Elevation Service" button to the smoother utility. I haven't added this in the past, because I'm not riding GPS routes with the "real" altitude, and because there are limitations on free usage of the Google Maps Service.

3D Route Builder is obviously the better option for you to use, but I would love to figure out why the smoother didn't work for you. I suspect that part of the file didn't get copied into Notepad. I'd appreciate it if you could send me a pm with your browser information (name, operating system, version) and attach the file that you created as well.

Thanks,
Brenda
My process for copying from the browser screen was to right click "Select All", then copy and paste. It appears that at least the beginning and end of the file copied okay.

I could not get the new Add Elevation button to do anything (similar problem as with the Download GPX file button).

I have 64-bit Windows 7 Professional (Version 6.1, Service Pack 1), Internet Explorer 11 (version 11.0.9600.16518).

mcorn
Moderator
Posts: 7684
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: USA, Bellingham, Washington

Re: New user wants to create his first GPS ride

Post by mcorn » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:50 pm

mcorn wrote: My process for copying from the browser screen was to right click "Select All", then copy and paste. It appears that at least the beginning and end of the file copied okay.

I could not get the new Add Elevation button to do anything (similar problem as with the Download GPX file button).

I have 64-bit Windows 7 Professional (Version 6.1, Service Pack 1), Internet Explorer 11 (version 11.0.9600.16518).
Brenda has made some quick changes, and I am no longer having trouble creating readable GPX files from my browser. I did discover that the button for importing of Google Earth altitude data will not work if popups for the webpage are blocked, so you need to authorize popups for this to work correctly in Version 11 IE.

Post Reply

Return to “Profile & Route”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests