Heart rate training algorithm.

Here you can discuss the Tacx Cycling App for iOS devices.

Moderators: mcorn, malfukt, Nasz, Lunatix

Maffetone_follower

Heart rate training algorithm.

Post by Maffetone_follower » Wed May 09, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi all!

In the past, following the teachings of Phil Maffetone has been truly good for me. Of course, others might want to train in other ways. However, I do not.

I just bought myself a Neo Smart and it seems to be truly solid. Great hardware.

So, I wanted to set up a workout. I wanted it to slowly raise my heartrate to 140, keep it there for a while, and then slowly reduce it.

However, the software uses the trainer to push me up to 155 in heart rate, then heavily reduces the load, allowing me to fall down to 130, then again raises my heartrate to far above the 140 that I want. It goes on like this for my entire training session.

Why is this? In my opinion, this heart rate training algorithm does not seem to be optimized to hold my heart rate I specified?

thebigoneinfront

Re: Heart rate training algorithm.

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu May 10, 2018 10:22 am

I tried heart rate-based training in the old Fortius Software fifteen years ago and then in the Tacx Trainer Software, made the very same observations as you do now for the Cycling App, and gave up. The feedback loop in the algorithm doesn‘t wait long enough for one‘s heart‘s reaction and therefore changes the power setting too rapidly and too far. Maybe a pro‘s heart would react fast enough for that algorithm. If you want to do heart rate-based training, you need to look for other software to control the trainer. I wouldn‘t hope for too much, though - heart rate-based training is pretty much out of fashion these days where powermeters are affordable to the masses, and few people will care to focus their programming on heart rate.

Return to “iOS”