Tacx i-Flow pairing with Garmin Fenix 5

Training Zones & other HRM related stuff

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production

fin3630

Tacx i-Flow pairing with Garmin Fenix 5

Post by fin3630 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:25 am

Hi,

New user and first post in here. What would be easiest way to pair Fenix 5 and i-Flow? Does it need ANT+ stick or will it work somehow without it? I like to use same heartrate monitor with Tacx than I use at in real life cycling.

Thanks!

thebigoneinfront

Re: Tacx i-Flow pairing with Garmin Fenix 5

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:34 am

I assume you run the iFlow using the Tacx Trainer Software and want TTS to use the HR signal from the Fenix. (There is no way to connect the Fenix to the iFlow itself.) You can do that with TTS version 4.12 or newer. You need to set your Fenix to HR rebroadcasting and yes, you need an ANT USB stick. (TTS doesn‘t use Bluetooth.) Then let TTS search for devices and connect the Fenix HR.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:48 pm

I assume that you have the Tacx T1932 usb handlebar controller (white with blue ring). You can also you an inexpensive analog HR strap at the same time to get HR data into TTS4.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:00 pm

True, that wouldn‘t require an ANT stick. Some risk of signal dropouts, though. I found that I prefer a chest strap (ANT) for cycling, both in- and outdoors, over optical HR, although I don’t have significant accuracy issues with optical and no longer use chest straps for running or anything in the gym. Guess it’s all just about personal preferences.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:21 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:00 pm
True, that wouldn‘t require an ANT stick. Some risk of signal dropouts, though. I found that I prefer a chest strap (ANT) for cycling, both in- and outdoors, over optical HR, although I don’t have significant accuracy issues with optical and no longer use chest straps for running or anything in the gym. Guess it’s all just about personal preferences.
You're right about the non-coded analog. But I have found in some environments they work okay. I was just thinking that if he had an old analog laying around, he could try it and continue to use the Fenix at the same time.

I have not tried simultaneous ANT+ and USB in TTS4, so don't know if that works well or not. TTS4 is not exactly bug-free.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:06 am

I never saw an issue with ANT HR in parallel to a wired trainer. The Mrs. still has a Fortius brake with a T1932 and an ANT stick for ANT HR.

fin3630

Post by fin3630 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:59 am

Thanks for help, I was trying to add my Polar H7 heart rate strap to TTS and it recognize it immediately.

Garmin Fenix seems to need ANT+ stick to work because its heart rate transmitting have to be ANT+ instead of Bluetooth. It is possible to pair bluetooth devices to Garmin but I guess it can not send bluetooth to other devices. But anyway now I have working heart rate display in TTS.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:51 pm

fin3630 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:59 am
Thanks for help, I was trying to add my Polar H7 heart rate strap to TTS and it recognize it immediately.

Garmin Fenix seems to need ANT+ stick to work because its heart rate transmitting have to be ANT+ instead of Bluetooth. It is possible to pair bluetooth devices to Garmin but I guess it can not send bluetooth to other devices. But anyway now I have working heart rate display in TTS.
The Polar H7 is primarily a Bluetooth HR strap used for smart devices. TTS4 is not capable of receiving BT. However, the H7 also transmits a 5 KHz analog HR signal at the same time. I believe your Tacx T1932 controller is picking up the analog signal and sending it to TTS. If there is a red LED flashing on the T1932 while you have the strap on, that means it is receiving the analog signal. If you look above, one of my suggestions was to use an inexpensive analog strap.

fin3630

Post by fin3630 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:00 am

Thanks, now I get it.. I didn`t know at Polar H7 is capable of to send 5khz analog signal also and that`s why I thought T1932 was picking up bluetooth signal.

Does Tacx have downloadeble user manual or spec sheets for different products (for example T1932) in somewhere because it is quite hard to understand what different products can or can not to do?

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:43 am

Yes, there’s only the choice between analog 5kHz to the T1931 or ANT to the PC. From your first post, I was under the impression you deliberatly don‘t want to use an HR strap - some folks have chafing issues with straps or don’t want to mix optical and strap HR data, so this is not a weird decision.

The design of the T1931 predates the ANT/BT era and I think it’s pretty much legacy now that Tacx only sells Smart interactive trainers. There is still some work to do in the manuals section of the not so new anymore Tacx website https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/categ ... 9399-Other and trying to open the manuals on the remainder of the old website just now produced server errors. Overall, I fear you can’t expect much in terms of detailed manuals on the legacy units except what you can find under the link above. Those cover assembly and spare parts rather than connectivity.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:28 pm

There is a scarcity of information on the T1932 today and regrettably, Tacx does not publish a good archive of old manuals and reference materials (it is really unfortunate). An Internet search turns up bits and pieces. One of the best ways to get information is to use the Google Site Search Function for searches on this forum. Unfortunately, the forum search function no longer works, so you need to use Google's site search, which is fairly effective. For example, if you do a site search on tacx t1932 LED, this is one hit:

viewtopic.php?t=17587

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:32 pm

I want to remind you that we have a time machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://tacx.com/
Alas, it does not work fully.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

Return to “Heart rate”