TACX app and Garmin HRM problem

Training Zones & other HRM related stuff

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production

Upham

Re: TACX app and Garmin HRM problem

Post by Upham » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:27 pm

gored996 wrote:
Upham wrote:Finally solved installing an older version of Tacx Cycling App (2.5.7).......... I am not going to update it anymore.

How did you revert to the older version? I need to do the same. I am in the same boat as everyone else!!!

gored996

I did find this version searching during hours in the Internet. Now I have the apk in my tablet so everytime it updates to a new version I uninstall it and install again 2.5.7

m_majors2000

Post by m_majors2000 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:22 pm

I have a Garmin 735XT Forerunner which has a wrist HRM that pairs with my IPhone6 using Bluetooth (I believe). However the tacx utility and training app (along with Sufferfest) won't pair with my HRM. Do I need to purchase the ANT dongle with converter IOT connect my HR? My cadence / RPM works fine. And I can read HR on 735. Just not while using apps. Thanks!

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:37 pm

m_majors2000 wrote:I have a Garmin 735XT Forerunner which has a wrist HRM that pairs with my IPhone6 using Bluetooth (I believe). However the tacx utility and training app (along with Sufferfest) won't pair with my HRM. Do I need to purchase the ANT dongle with converter IOT connect my HR? My cadence / RPM works fine. And I can read HR on 735. Just not while using apps. Thanks!
Source: http://tacx.com/support/manuals/trainer ... _en-GB.pdf
Whether to connect this second device via ANT+ or Bluetooth
depends on how your 1 st device is connected. Over ANT+ you
can connect as many devices as you’d like to read out your
performance data. Over Bluetooth you can only connect one
device.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

Egretz

Post by Egretz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:14 pm

I have the same problem with the HRm strap.

In settings, the strap is shown as connected but during a workout the app don't show my heart rate.

I'm using a Ipad and have connected the Neo via Bluetooth for getting the speed.
Additionally I use a original Apple adapter and a Wahoo ANT+ dongle. Via ANT+ I have connected the powermeter and get power and cadence from this. The Garmin strap is also connected via ANT+

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:12 pm

Egretz wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:14 pm
The Garmin strap is also connected via ANT+
The support page still has this warning:
Compatibility issues

The Wahoo tickr is not compatibel with Cycling an Tacx Training. Tacx is working on a solution

The Garmin HRM is not comppatible with the Cycling app and Tacx Training app. Tacx is working on a solution

https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/artic ... aining-App

simkin911

Post by simkin911 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:36 pm

Egretz wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:14 pm

In settings, the strap is shown as connected but during a workout the app don't show my heart rate.

I'm using a Ipad and have connected the Neo via Bluetooth for getting the speed.
Additionally I use a original Apple adapter and a Wahoo ANT+ dongle. Via ANT+ I have connected the powermeter and get power and cadence from this. The Garmin strap is also connected via ANT+
Thank you Alex for posting the message in response to this. I have joined the forum today and this was my precise question.

I have just bought a Neo and want to pair this with an ipad / iphone and already own a Garmin ANT+ HRM. This is a bit disappointing especially since those support page warnings appear quite old. So, to get HR details I will need to buy another HRM which is ANT+ (other than Garmin or Tickr as neither work with the apps and I also can't connect more than 1 Bluetooth device so it does indeed have to be an ANT+ HRM).

Does that sound like an accurate representation of the situation if I want to use Tacx apps and include HRM data?

Thank you.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:14 pm

simkin911 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:36 pm
I have just bought a Neo and want to pair this with an ipad / iphone and already own a Garmin ANT+ HRM. This is a bit disappointing especially since those support page warnings appear quite old.
iPad and iPhone just don‘t speak ANT, irrespective of what the Tacx Apps do. You either need to buy the Wahoo ANT 30-pin dongle and a 30 pin/Lightning-Adapter or a Bluetooth or dual Bluetooth/ANT strap. I think it‘s the better decision to get a BT or dual strap and connect both Neo and HR via BT. You cannöt connect a BT sensor to more than one app, but you can connect one app to more than one BT sensor.

simkin911

Post by simkin911 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:25 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:14 pm
simkin911 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:36 pm
I have just bought a Neo and want to pair this with an ipad / iphone and already own a Garmin ANT+ HRM. This is a bit disappointing especially since those support page warnings appear quite old.
iPad and iPhone just don‘t speak ANT, irrespective of what the Tacx Apps do. You either need to buy the Wahoo ANT 30-pin dongle and a 30 pin/Lightning-Adapter or a Bluetooth or dual Bluetooth/ANT strap. I think it‘s the better decision to get a BT or dual strap and connect both Neo and HR via BT. You cannöt connect a BT sensor to more than one app, but you can connect one app to more than one BT sensor.
I am really grateful for your response.

I was on the cusp of buying exactly what you suggest (dongle & adaptor) but then thought... wow... the Garmin won’t work with the app though as per the old messages above.

I was then worried about more than 1 BT connection but your explanation is helpful. So, the app can connect (pick up) more than 1 BT communication line (ie Neo Smart data & Any BT enabled HRM except Tickr) - but I can’t use multiple apps. Thank you!

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Whether to connect this second device via ANT+ or Bluetooth
depends on how your 1 st device is connected. Over ANT+ you
can connect as many devices as you’d like to read out your
performance data. Over Bluetooth you can only connect one
device.
Yes, this quote refers to the connection of devices to the trainer, and not to the application. In this context, the quotation is inappropriate. I apologize.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Just to be extra clear -
simkin911 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:25 pm
but I can’t use multiple apps.
one should add „at the same time“. There‘s no parallel cycling with the Cycling App and recording with Garmin Connect, Strava or the like. But you can of course disconnect from any app and connect to any other.

elucasgbc

Post by elucasgbc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:31 am

I have just purchased a Neo 2800, have downloaded the Tacx Cycling App to my ipad and it paired perfectly and works with the film I also purchased from the App store. I have a Garmin Heart rate monitor that I purchased and use with my Garmin 520 Edge. I also have a Garmin Vivoactive HR watch, which also works perfectly. However, I can not pair my Garmin HRM with the Tacx App on my iPad, it just seems unable to find the Garmin. I have read the above posts and ask, is it correct that it is impossible to pair the Garmin HRM to the Tacx App (not terrible tech savvy here)? If it is possible, can you please advise the steps I need to take?
Regards
Ed Lucas

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:16 am

You cannot directly pair a Garmin HR strap with an iPad. Apple products don‘t use the „ANT“ wireless transmission standard that Garmin devices use (Garmin owns Dynastream, the company behind ANT). iPhone/Pad use only the Bluetooth wireless transmission standard. There‘s a dongle made by Wahoo that can receive ANT signals and feed it to an iPhone or iPad. This dongle has the old 30-pin connector that was used on early iPhones/iPads. So one needs a 30 pin/Lightning adapter for more recent iPads/iPhones, too.

Rather than buying the dongle and adapter, you could buy an HR strap that transmits ANT and Bluetooth in parallel. There are some on the market, eg the Tacx one.

There was a notice by Tacx about issues with Garmin HR straps and the Wahoo Tickr HR in the Tacx Apps. I don‘t know whether this is still true. (I use a Wahoo Tickr with the Desktop App without issues didn‘t have issues with the Cycling App when I last used it weeks ago.) This would point to getting e.g. a non-Wahoo dual ANT/BT HR strap as simplest and safest solution. Or, of course, move to an ANT-enabled Android tablet. (Not sure right now whether you would need to re-purchase the film then.)

elucasgbc

Post by elucasgbc » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:36 am

Thanks very much for the depth and clarity of your advice, I can now go short this out.
Regards
Ed Lucas

michif100

Post by michif100 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:35 pm

WHat I am absolutely mad about is, that TACX isn’t even admitting that there is an actual problem.
They tell me it’s a faulty Wahoo Adapter and a failure of the latest iOS update, even when I say the Garmin strap has never been working before:

Message from Support:
We are very sorry to hear this.
We know that since the last IOS Update the ANT + Wahoo adapters no longer function.
This also explains why your HRM is no longer working.
For this you unfortunately have to contact Wahoo.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:24 am

Oh I think that’s admitting a problem.... just not a Tacx problem.
I‘ve never personally used the Wahoo dongle. The solution via the dongle, however, is around for a couple of years now and I have never read that it generally wouldn‘t work except since that announcement by Tacx. So if it never worked for you even before that iOS update that broke it, you may have a faulty Garmin strap, a faulty dongle or some other error and being mad doesn’t help. Bummer that issue identification (trying other straps, dongles, iPhones) is moot. To be honest, I doubt anyone will care - the dongle now is a piece of kit from the stone ages (30-pin!), predating all of those dual ANT/Bluetooth HR straps that are standard nowadays.

michif100

Post by michif100 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:04 am

Sure, how convenient for TACX to blame Wahoo.
All the while advertising the Wahoo Stick ad best solution an while relying on the ANT+ Protocol for most of their trainers and not offering an own stick or dongle.
Strap was checked by Garmin an as you can read in this forum, I am only one of many having the same problem.
Sure, I have a Bluetooth strap, but would like to use the Garmin strap nonentheless.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:12 pm

michif100 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:04 am
to blame Wahoo.
or Apple.
So Apple or (less likely) Wahoo broke that solution for the old ANT-only trainers. Now what can one expect Tacx to do? Buy Apple and make them to undo what they did? Buy Wahoo and have them make a new dongle for iOS? Make someone else make a new dongle for iOS? The market are those who want to use their old ANT-only non-Smart trainer with an iPhone/iPad. Everyone else can use BT with iPhone/iPad or ANT with Androids, if need be with the Tacx micro-USB ANT dongle. Guess any Smart trainer would be less expensive than developing a new dongle for the old trainers. I think it‘s not entirely fair to blame someone else if you simply don‘t want to use the solution at hand.

Return to “Heart rate”