Garmin and Tacx Flow PC Upgrade

Training Zones & other HRM related stuff

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production

mikem401

Garmin and Tacx Flow PC Upgrade

Post by mikem401 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi,

I have a flow trainer and have recently bought the Tacx Flow PC Upgrade to TT3 basic (4.9). I have a couple of niggles.. one of which is the HRM connection. The Tacx documentation seems pretty unclear in many regards, including connection of a HRM.

I have a Garmin HRM that I know works fine as I get an output on my Garmin 500 when I have the belt on. I have turned HRM on in the Tacx TTS software but the software does not seem to record my HRM. I tried today with both TTS software running and Garmin 500. Garmin picks up my HR but TTS doesn't (though when I moved the head unit close to the PC it seemed to pick some interference and display a HR but not my actual HR).

So in short.. what I need to know is .. can the head unit receive ANT+ signals from my Garmin HRM? If not is there some additional device I can buy for my laptop that allows ANT+ comms between HRM and TTS Software?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

mcorn

Re: Garmin and Tacx Flow PC Upgrade

Post by mcorn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:43 pm

mikem401 wrote:Hi,

I have a flow trainer and have recently bought the Tacx Flow PC Upgrade to TT3 basic (4.9). I have a couple of niggles.. one of which is the HRM connection. The Tacx documentation seems pretty unclear in many regards, including connection of a HRM.

I have a Garmin HRM that I know works fine as I get an output on my Garmin 500 when I have the belt on. I have turned HRM on in the Tacx TTS software but the software does not seem to record my HRM. I tried today with both TTS software running and Garmin 500. Garmin picks up my HR but TTS doesn't (though when I moved the head unit close to the PC it seemed to pick some interference and display a HR but not my actual HR).

So in short.. what I need to know is .. can the head unit receive ANT+ signals from my Garmin HRM? If not is there some additional device I can buy for my laptop that allows ANT+ comms between HRM and TTS Software?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
No, neither the Flow nor the Fortius are ANT+ compatible. They only read an uncoded analog HRM signal. Only the Genius, Bushido, and Vortex use ANT+. Look for an inexpensive analog belt. I use a $15 Sports Instruments model that I got on eBay. You can still wear both HRM's at the same time so you can still have your Garmin 500 running.

Filini

Post by Filini » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Hi,
can I-Flow somehow damage Garmin (premium) HR unit ?
Now I have send 3th unit to Garmin to repair and I dnot know, if its just Garmin/strap problem,
or its because I use it with Edge800 when Im on the trainer.
Thanks

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:22 pm

Filini wrote:Hi,
can I-Flow somehow damage Garmin (premium) HR unit ?
Now I have send 3th unit to Garmin to repair and I dnot know, if its just Garmin/strap problem,
or its because I use it with Edge800 when Im on the trainer.
Thanks
No way that it can do any damage. It is about as likely to damage your Garmin as another cyclist on the road riding next to you with a different system. I can think of no plausible way.

I would ask Garmin for a explanation of what is wrong with its HRM strap. Sounds very unusual. I use the Garmin hardstraps. The softstraps are more comfortable, but can be finicky. I went through a fair number of Polar softstraps. They have had about 3 different designs, with the lastest working pretty well.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:59 am

Same for Garmin straps. The newest type (sold from mid 2013 or so) with the grey fabric insert seems to work well, the oldest type, the hardstrap, too. The all-black softstraps of in between created a lot of error reports. These soft straps nevertheless have limited lifetime. I assume there's Hobsons choice between not washing them regularly and build up dirt on or in them that impedes measurements (same for using old-style soap in water that's high in calcium or magnesium), or see the electrodes and conductors deteriorate and produce wrong measurements by regular washing.

Filini

Post by Filini » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:09 am

First two was <2013
Last one was from feb2014 i think and was the new type with gray fabric.
Nevertheless, after 10 months no signal reading (washed regularly), battery changed.
Now is at the local Garmin servis center and Im waiting for repair/new one.
First two was automatically changed for new pcs after my claims.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:42 pm

10 months lifetime are far too short to be acceptable. I'm sure Garmin will replace it.

Still, if you can pick up a hard strap model (they are still on sale for the cheaper Garmin Forerunner watches) and don't mind the more rigid plastic, you may be better off overall. I use the hard on the Tacx and soft straps for everything else.

Filini

Post by Filini » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:08 am

Answer from local Garmin is that they are sending me new unit and strap ... without any questions.
This one will be my 4th :roll:

Return to “Heart rate”