Real Life Video - Bitrates/ Quality

Discussion about the Tacx collection of Video for Tacx Training Software

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, Nasz, Lunatix

Tacx Video Production

Real Life Video - Bitrates/ Quality

Post by Tacx Video Production » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:09 pm

Downloads have 3 types of quality with each ride having either 1 or 2 of these 3 sizes we use. The star system on the Tacx website could be wrong, will have to check it out.

* Low quality, for slow PCs & those that cant wait to download a ride.
** DVD quality this is the quality we use for DVD only although these files are available to Download for recent rides.
*** BluRay quality this is what all the recent Downloads are available in & the rides on the BluRays.

All the recent short Downloads (10euro) filmed by us are * & ***
All the downloadable DVDs are ** & ***
All the BluRays are *** only! :wink:

(Most Ironman films made in GoPro are the exception with rides being either * or **. Although the bitrates will be higher, although the Ironman films we made like Majorca 70 or Nice full distance & Lanzarote are like the regular rides.

excitermode

Re: Real Life Video - Bitrates/ Quality

Post by excitermode » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:06 pm

Ok thanks for the clarification on that. 2 questions. is there any chance of a 'test' download so we can see the differences in quality? - we all have different hardware but that would allow everyone to see what it looks like on their individual setup. And also a 'test' download would allow us to see what our hardware may and may not be able to cope with in terms of computing the file. Cheers.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:24 pm

excitermode wrote:Ok thanks for the clarification on that. 2 questions. is there any chance of a 'test' download so we can see the differences in quality? - we all have different hardware but that would allow everyone to see what it looks like on their individual setup. And also a 'test' download would allow us to see what our hardware may and may not be able to cope with in terms of computing the file. Cheers.
I think normally there is a Demo RLV inside TTS4 that will give you an idea of how the ride will perform. But the best way is to simply buy a Download, if the High bitrate version gives you playback issues on your PC because its perhaps a bit old then you can always download the Low bit rate version that will work. I did a poll last year to see if anyone actually used the lowbit rate versions & only one rider voted yes so most of the time you should be cool. If you have a recent PC i5 & up you will be fine normally....Tip - There are two Video players in TTS, Video player 1 is smoother & more stable. Video player 2 maybe a bit jerky, some report a lower quality image also & for many users the video can lose sync with the data... But you will have the 3d avatars. (You can switch to video player 1 in the Video settings in TTS4)

leica

Post by leica » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:43 pm

Oh so the bitrate depends on the preferences in the software rather than if you have DVD or download?

Thanks, I know this thread is a bit old but I've just purchased a couple of downloads and the low bitrate is a bit hard to deal with.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:22 pm

leica wrote:Oh so the bitrate depends on the preferences in the software rather than if you have DVD or download?

Thanks, I know this thread is a bit old but I've just purchased a couple of downloads and the low bitrate is a bit hard to deal with.
No the bitrate is the size quality of the video file you have downloaded (how many bits of information can be allocated to each of the 30 images you see every 1second), when buying a RLV for the Tacx PC software you may have an option with some of the rides to download a higher quality video. There is a limit to the quality though as these videos also need to be able to run smooth at higher then normal frame rates, plus there is the bandwidth cost issue that Tacx is often more interested in reducing, although I think they are quite generous to have the size of films we have right now.

The quality of the finished highly compressed ride will depend on the quality of the original footage, like this ride Im busy with right now that we filmed on Easter Monday in Spain this was recorded in 16bit Raw at about 500GB/hr which is about as good as it can be, its then been compressed about 50x smaller for a result that looks like this....
https://tacx-support.s3.amazonaws.com/G ... -20sec.avi

But some of the Ironman rides (all the US, OZ & a few EU Ironman) & are filmed in 8bit Compressed GoPro, the original image often looks ok but compressing something thats already compressed often means a much lower quality (actually this is what most of the competitors of tacx have all the time). Then we have the older rides, when we started doing the short Downloads we were filming with the same camera that filmed much of Slumdog Millionair, a great camera to film with but not close as good as the kit we film with now. This was 10bit so still much better colours then a GoPro but resolution was not as good. If you want rides that are the highest quality we can produce which is better then our competition by light years then best check out my little page in my signature below, this is all the films we made in the last two years with the better kit.. We have yet another new camera on order which will hopefully come before this year is over...onwards & upwards! :wink:

bigrichard

Post by bigrichard » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:56 pm

Geeez! That is some bad form on a bicycle. Hips rockin, toes pointed down on the pedals. But I like to be doing that ride right now. Pretty area. :)
NEO
TTS4 Version 4.22.0.0
42" Panasonic Plasma
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Mobo
Intel core i7 3770K @ 3.9GHz
16GB RAM @ 1600 MHz
Nvidia GTX980 4095 MB
Samsung 840 Pro 256G hard drive
Corsair 860 PSU
Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:04 am

bigrichard wrote:Geeez! That is some bad form on a bicycle. Hips rockin, toes pointed down on the pedals. But I like to be doing that ride right now. Pretty area. :)
I think your joking here, Robert Gesink has great style to my eyes,...(& Im a self proclaimed cycling style guru 8) ) most all Pro riders sit a little higher then we did in say the 80s or 90s.

leica

Post by leica » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:35 am

Thanks for the reply!

Yes the video would be a bit insane uncompressed. There are some really nice codecs that compress nicely without too much loss I guess.

Maybe the next TTS will be able to use h.264 and we can do our own HelmetCam type videos ;-)

Anyway it seemed in the end it was a combination of things that was causing some problems

1) I had recently re-installed TTS and forgot to download all the updates. I don't know where I read it but I seem to recall there is a bug in earlier versions of v.4 that didn't import video properly. So I updated to the latest version.

2) Then I uninstalled and re-installed the video installer.

The video looks a lot better now, especially Paris (I bought the Paris & Rome city trip - easy one to help me recover from a long-term injury! - maybe too easy!)

Rome is still a bit ropey, but better than it was.

I really enjoy the city trips though, for the "tourist" aspect. Can you you do them earlier in the morning though - morning light is the best (I'm a photographer) and very little traffic. That police car in Paris always makes me feel like I have to keep making sure I'm doing 100% legal riding. :wink:

leica

Post by leica » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:40 am

Oh love that Gesink video - great quality, nice lighting, very crisp. Can't wait for the next generation of videos.

And if you need any beta testers - I've got a fairly low-spec setup I just use with Tacx and nothing else. I can certainly give you a good idea if they run okay on older machines.

(ah well wishful thinking) :D

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:46 pm

leica wrote: Maybe the next TTS will be able to use h.264
There are some good codecs but ones that are also efficiant are tough to find, I would love to move away from avi based xvid. Its been a great codec but time is moving on. For the IOS & tablets we use H264 mp4 but at a much lower bitrate, but I know at the bitrate we normally use the video does look closer to what I have here which really is obviously free of all compression.
leica wrote:Rome is still a bit ropey, but better than it was.

Rome was actually filmed way back in 2006 so its almost 9 years old..We improved a lot since then, but 9years ago we were filming with the latest sensors & actually way ahead of the competition..
I really enjoy the city trips though, for the "tourist" aspect. Can you you do them earlier in the morning though - morning light is the best (I'm a photographer) and very little traffic.
Rome is on the list for re-filming this year, actually normally we would be filming it again this month along with a lot of other citys but we have a delay with some filming kit that I need to make the film the way I want it..It will be done during the summer early on a Sunday morning....really its only now that we can even think to film early in the morning, we probably have more then twice the latitude. The next camera will add another couple of stops so really this opens a lot of doors for us for capturing something hopefully spectacular.....really up until the last 2-3years only photographers have been able to really make the best of the golden hours.

leica

Post by leica » Sat May 02, 2015 8:56 am

Do you think it's possible there may be a discount for people who bought the original Rome & Paris RLV when you release the new one?

It's not at all bad, but sort of wish I'd waited for the new one. :(

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sat May 02, 2015 9:25 am

leica wrote:Do you think it's possible there may be a discount for people who bought the original Rome & Paris RLV when you release the new one?

It's not at all bad, but sort of wish I'd waited for the new one. :(
Oh we have not filmed it yet, i need some special kit 1st & to make a successful test "City trip" of the cobbled city of Gent (where we live) or possibly Brugge which is only 30mins away... The plan was to have these rides already made but its now looking like it will be the summer before we are capable of doing this the way I want it...if we wait until Autumn then its possible we can film it with the new camera we have on order also...(its a waiting list for kit like this).

As for the price, if we film Rome or any other city again it wall already be discounted as they will be sold as short downloads which only cost €9.90 each. :wink:

BenoitR

Post by BenoitR » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:02 pm

Last week I bought a few short rides and I was disappoint to realise that Zoncolan - IT T2055.91 and Sa Calobra - ES T2055.92 both published in 2016 are only available for download in DVD format. My understanding was that any short ride published in 2015 and 2016 are available in blu-ray format as well. Is it because they are just being released? Are Tacx plan’s to release them in BD quality level at some point?
By way the quality of the 3 Ventoux short rides in BD are just amazing. Since those 3 rides were published the same year that the Grossglockner North - AT T2055.86 ride was published, do you if a BD version of this will be available at some point.

Good work thanks for the carifications.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:38 pm

BenoitR wrote:Last week I bought a few short rides and I was disappoint to realise that Zoncolan - IT T2055.91 and Sa Calobra - ES T2055.92 both published in 2016 are only available for download in DVD format. My understanding was that any short ride published in 2015 and 2016 are available in blu-ray format as well. Is it because they are just being released? Are Tacx plan’s to release them in BD quality level at some point?
By way the quality of the 3 Ventoux short rides in BD are just amazing. Since those 3 rides were published the same year that the Grossglockner North - AT T2055.86 ride was published, do you if a BD version of this will be available at some point.

Just ignore the stars thing, they always get it wrong.....everything we film over the last 4-5 years for the short download collection or DVD, BD length gets spot on the same constant quality compression, this is the same as the BluRays. Sa Colobra is something like 10GB so for sure its a nice quality version. The only films we have made in recent years that are low quality are many of the Ironman films which are often filmed with GoPro. The size does not always mean quality, it can simply mean there is a lot of forest or harder to compress material in the film.

So if you can download it & its not too old then its normally going to be spot on identical as the BluRays

Just looked at the Sa Calobra & to me it looks to be one of the very best RLVs in the entire collection

Neez

Post by Neez » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:38 pm

Tacx Video Production wrote:
BenoitR wrote:Last week I bought a few short rides and I was disappoint to realise that Zoncolan - IT T2055.91 and Sa Calobra - ES T2055.92 both published in 2016 are only available for download in DVD format. My understanding was that any short ride published in 2015 and 2016 are available in blu-ray format as well. Is it because they are just being released? Are Tacx plan’s to release them in BD quality level at some point?

Just ignore the stars thing, they always get it wrong.....everything we film over the last 4-5 years for the short download collection or DVD, BD length gets spot on the same constant quality compression, this is the same as the BluRays. Sa Colobra is something like 10GB so for sure its a nice quality version. The only films we have made in recent years that are low quality are many of the Ironman films which are often filmed with GoPro. The size does not always mean quality, it can simply mean there is a lot of forest or harder to compress material in the film.

So if you can download it & its not too old then its normally going to be spot on identical as the BluRays

Just looked at the Sa Calobra & to me it looks to be one of the very best RLVs in the entire collection
I second that! 8)
Fortius T1930
TTS 4.13

Alienware Aurora ALX
Intel Core i7-4930K, 6-cores, 12MB Cache, 4.1 GHz
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 Quad Channel
W7 Professional SP1 (64 BIT)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB GDDR5

Raid Pyrenees challenge map: http://goo.gl/maps/BSQAV

flanagaj

Post by flanagaj » Mon May 02, 2016 4:25 pm

Would you recommend that those of us with lower spec machines download the dvd quality rather than the higher bit rate blue ray quality ones?

Trying to understand whether the higher bit rate will cause slower spec machines to struggle?

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Mon May 02, 2016 9:18 pm

flanagaj wrote:Would you recommend that those of us with lower spec machines download the dvd quality rather than the higher bit rate blue ray quality ones?

Trying to understand whether the higher bit rate will cause slower spec machines to struggle?
I would try the higher spec video 1st, it will normally skip on descents if your on older kit

Return to “Tacx Real Life Video”