Raid Pyrenees I

Discussion about the Tacx collection of Video for Tacx Training Software

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, Nasz, Lunatix

fukawitribe

Re: Raid Pyrenees I

Post by fukawitribe » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:43 pm

Tacx Video Production wrote:The rides you see on the Tacx webshop for download are for TTS only, IOS (ipad) has its own "in app" shop.
Are none of the videos usable in both TTS and the cycling app (tablet) then ?

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:15 pm

fukawitribe wrote:
Tacx Video Production wrote:The rides you see on the Tacx webshop for download are for TTS only, IOS (ipad) has its own "in app" shop.
No Tacx IOS uses a different codec for the video file which can not be used with the player in TTS so we have to have two different versions of the same ride. Some rides are for IOS only & feature sections of much longer rides that are available on DVD or BluRay.

fukawitribe

Post by fukawitribe » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:44 pm

Tacx Video Production wrote:
fukawitribe wrote:
No Tacx IOS uses a different codec for the video file which can not be used with the player in TTS so we have to have two different versions of the same ride. Some rides are for IOS only & feature sections of much longer rides that are available on DVD or BluRay.
Interesting... what are the codecs if you don't mind me asking ? On Windows you're using an AVI container with (I guess) an MPEG based encoding inside - H264/MP4p2/AAC in QT on iOS ? If the codec is already licensed, is there an issue with enabling it in TTS (if not now, then later) ? Programatically it should straight forward but I guess there may be time/political/economic considerations that might take precedence.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:59 pm

We use bog standard H264 for IOS. The reason why the IOS video files cant run in TTS is technical, the player simply cant run this file format without a lot of deep programming.

The last 2 years of footage has almost filled 100TB with the master versions & the original raw footage, its all future proof, if a new codec came out that enabled the rides to run smooth on low end PCs & look lossless from the originals I can re-render them.

fukawitribe

Post by fukawitribe » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Tacx Video Production wrote:We use bog standard H264 for IOS. The reason why the IOS video files cant run in TTS is technical, the player simply cant run this file format without a lot of deep programming.
Ah ok, sounds like their graphics display pipeline was sort of grown rather than planned - I can relate to that !
Tacx Video Production wrote:The other reason is eventually (not this winter) TTS will be replaced by software thats based on the Android/IOS app, at that point I will have to re-render everything (thats going to to be a fun job)
Good move I reckon and, as you say, fun for some... going to rent a nice, fat AWS render farm ? :)
Cheers for the info.

jimppa147

Post by jimppa147 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:58 am

Been steadily progressing with Part II, and have started to catch a couple of stragglers. But last time I visited the map I couldn't see how to move my icon now Google have updated their maps. Anybody know what I'm missing?
Jim, Helsinki

martin_vortex

Post by martin_vortex » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:53 am

jimppa147 wrote:Been steadily progressing with Part II, and have started to catch a couple of stragglers. But last time I visited the map I couldn't see how to move my icon now Google have updated their maps. Anybody know what I'm missing?
sign in (top right corner)
left click icon
click pencil (edit mode) and ignore pop up
move icon
I thought of that while riding my bike.
Albert Einstein
On the Theory of Relativity.

jimppa147

Post by jimppa147 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks Martin! Last night I finally caught up with those of you who've been taking it easy on the descent from the Tourmalet. Some great moments on these climbs, with Phil choosing some really excellent roads. Looking forward to the coming installments!
Jim, Helsinki

Neez

Post by Neez » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:00 pm

I love a good challenge: https://www.strava.com/activities/385669622
martin_vortex wrote:
Neez wrote:Okay guys, it was pretty nasty to take off without waking me up :roll: . Am cycling like crazy to catch up 8). Oops I did it again :

http://www.tacx.com/en/experience/biken ... s?id=31722

Seriously, had a hell of a busy winter & spring (work work work work), couldn't find the time to do a full day of Tacxing. But, what better to do on Ascension day than cycling and ascend some mountains .... Was fun to ride parts of the route I did last year in the reverse direction

@Martin: will you mark me on the map? Much obliged.
@Phil: great ride, great quality!

Raid II will be ugly, probably around 9:30 start to finish. Looking in diary for convenient day :shock:
Incredible Neez, outside I can do > 400 km in one day, on a hometrainer I tried once (RdGA) but I had to quit after 120 km.
Pyrenees part II is by far the toughest of the mountain stages
But your plane is at the start of part II :D :D :D
Fortius T1930
TTS 4.13

Alienware Aurora ALX
Intel Core i7-4930K, 6-cores, 12MB Cache, 4.1 GHz
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 Quad Channel
W7 Professional SP1 (64 BIT)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB GDDR5

Raid Pyrenees challenge map: http://goo.gl/maps/BSQAV

Edgarini

Post by Edgarini » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:31 am

Neez wrote:I love a good challenge: https://www.strava.com/activities/385669622
Holy shite....amazing. Chapeau Neez!!!

martin_vortex

Post by martin_vortex » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:47 pm

Edgarini wrote:
Neez wrote:I love a good challenge: https://www.strava.com/activities/385669622
Holy shite....amazing. Chapeau Neez!!!
Indeed!
I thought of that while riding my bike.
Albert Einstein
On the Theory of Relativity.

dougleybourne

Post by dougleybourne » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:38 am

I will finish Part 1, for the third time, on Friday the 30th. Stephen Loukin is waiting for me in Tarascon. You suggested Stephen that we restart at the end of Part 2, is that correct? Part 3 is the ride up Tourmalet and Part 4 starts on the bottom slopes of the west side of the Tourmalet. I would be happy to ride Part 2 again, or re-start anywhere else, it is all good stuff; your choice Stephen.

Who else is actively riding the Raid now?

Neez

Post by Neez » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:18 pm

dougleybourne wrote:I will finish Part 1, for the third time, on Friday the 30th. Stephen Loukin is waiting for me in Tarascon. You suggested Stephen that we restart at the end of Part 2, is that correct? Part 3 is the ride up Tourmalet and Part 4 starts on the bottom slopes of the west side of the Tourmalet. I would be happy to ride Part 2 again, or re-start anywhere else, it is all good stuff; your choice Stephen.

Who else is actively riding the Raid now?
Hi Doug,

I am, planning to do the bluray part III coming Saturday

Happy riding!

Neza
Fortius T1930
TTS 4.13

Alienware Aurora ALX
Intel Core i7-4930K, 6-cores, 12MB Cache, 4.1 GHz
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 Quad Channel
W7 Professional SP1 (64 BIT)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB GDDR5

Raid Pyrenees challenge map: http://goo.gl/maps/BSQAV

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:05 pm

dougleybourne wrote:Who else is actively riding the Raid now?
Not yet, but I look forward to a repeat (not including another hibernation with Edgarini on top of the Tourmalet waiting for part IV to be released... :lol: ). Not this week-end, though, the weather forecast is just too fine.

dougleybourne

Post by dougleybourne » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:25 pm

Neez wrote:
Hi Doug,

I am, planning to do the bluray part III coming Saturday

Happy riding!

Neza
And finish it all in one go?? You are way beyond me Neez!! Happy riding

dougleybourne

Post by dougleybourne » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:30 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Not yet, but I look forward to a repeat (not including another hibernation with Edgarini on top of the Tourmalet waiting for part IV to be released... :lol: ). Not this week-end, though, the weather forecast is just too fine.

I reckon that I will just go ahead and do it. Best wishes to all former participants whether riding again or not. Auckland has become a very dangerous city to ride in or around about so I ride indoor whatever the weather is outside. Doug

Edgarini

Post by Edgarini » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:42 pm

dougleybourne wrote:
thebigoneinfront wrote:

I reckon that I will just go ahead and do it. Best wishes to all former participants whether riding again or not. Auckland has become a very dangerous city to ride in or around about so I ride indoor whatever the weather is outside. Doug
Hi Doug, Big, Neez et al. I'll get back on my bike, which had stalled at the bottom of the Marie Blanque during my 2nd pass through the Raid. Hope to see you guys on the road!

PS....anyone else wants to join us on The Map who's not already subscribed, just PM me a working email address and I'll send you an edit invite.

Edgarini

Post by Edgarini » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:49 am

I know I'm a bastard person for chuckling @ this, but twice now I've almost blown water out of my nose watching this guy drop like a sack of potatoes right in front of the camera while attempting the flip side of the CdMB. Good on him for doing the climb despite his bad luck in the timing department.

dougleybourne

Post by dougleybourne » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:35 am

Yep, I remember him. Also the spot where Phil rescued a guy who had slipped over the edge. Unfortunately by going from 1 to 3 and missing out 2 I will not get to see that bit. D

SMC

Post by SMC » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:02 pm

yes that guy sure adds a bit of levity to the ride!

Seeing him always makes me thankful we go down that side of the mountain.

Scott

Return to “Tacx Real Life Video”