Show us your junk!

Discussion about the Tacx collection of Video for Tacx Training Software

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Tacx support, Nasz, Lunatix

Pinarello64

Re: Show us your junk!

Post by Pinarello64 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:49 pm

Thanks all. Back for x-rays and doctor later his week and will seek advice. Long break but displacement is minimal so hopefully will fuse easily.

Will be riding at low power, high cadence once back in the saddle. It has got to be better than hitting a bump out on the road. Or worse.

Edgarini

Post by Edgarini » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:54 am

Edgarini's Xmas present to self: a 1080p short throw. Got sort of a hillbilly version of Wayward's rig going now...

Really does make the rides come alive and appreciate the quality of Phil's work that much more!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Yes, using a projector creates a whole other dimension for the experience. Not sure how people manage with a laptop (might as well be a cellphone).

waywardcyclist

Post by waywardcyclist » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Edgar did you get the BenQ W1080ST? (one of the few short throw 1080p projectors out there)
How do you like it? What's your screen size & throw distance?
My redesign is hitting some logistical snags that might require a 2nd projector.
Neo and Genius, TTS 4.22, Macbook Pro (i7, 250GB SSD, 8GB ram, Win7/Bootcamp), BenQ W6000, 150" screen (380cm).
http://waywardcyclist.wordpress.com

Edgarini

Post by Edgarini » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:45 pm

waywardcyclist wrote:Edgar did you get the BenQ W1080ST? (one of the few short throw 1080p projectors out there)
How do you like it? What's your screen size & throw distance?
My redesign is hitting some logistical snags that might require a 2nd projector.
Aye...works great...pretty bright to boot. The only artefact I notice is some distinct rainbowing w/ black text on a white background (e.g. this page) @ 1080p.....movies seem perfect.

Screen is 6'x9' and throw is ~~~7' (I'd strongly recommend testing the throw by placing it on a ladder before drilling holes :?). A table for distances are in it's stat sheet here.

Whole rig, screen, mount and projector came in right at $900 US.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:35 pm

All DLP projectors have a "rainbow" effect. Most viewers adapt, but a few do not and it drives them crazy and/or makes them nauseous. Lumens output is probably as important as native resolution, so try for something 3,000 and above. Keystone adjustment is essential for projectors that are not absolutely straight-on, which happens with a high percentage of installations.

Edgarini

Post by Edgarini » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:40 pm

mcorn wrote:All DLP projectors have a "rainbow" effect. Most viewers adapt, but a few do not and it drives them crazy and/or makes them nauseous. Lumens output is probably as important as native resolution, so try for something 3,000 and above. Keystone adjustment is essential for projectors that are not absolutely straight-on, which happens with a high percentage of installations.
I was easily able to get it straight on simply by adjusting the mount. The projector has the ability to vertically shift the DLP chip (or lens??) up 10% or down 20% (ceiling mount), but I hear that this should be avoided if possible, because you are then not shooting through the center (best part) of the lens which can result in some distortion.

Digital keystoning should definitely be avoided, because you will no longer be natively using 1 pixel :1 DLP mirror @1080p and therefore effectively lowering resolution.

I guess it's situational re the relative importance of lumens v. resolution. I generally use the projector in the evening where things are screaming bright w/ 2000 lumens. Using it during the day (S & W facing windows), occluding blinds did the trick quite adequately. Re resolution, though, now that I've tasted Phil's works @ 1080p on a large projection, I can't see going back. Also, >lumens = >wattage....

jscordia

Post by jscordia » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:32 am

Hi folks, I also set myself up with a Benq w1080st and think its ideal for RLVs. I've got it ceiling mounted so am having to use keystoning. I can see there are focus issues as a result of keystoning when the Mac desktop is being projected, but when an RLV is being projected I can't see any negative issues, particularly given the reasonable cost of the projector. I looked at several drop down screens but ended up carefully painting the wall with a projection paint which works very well. All in all a worth while project and it really does enhance the RLV experience.
DSC_0147.jpg
Study, Studio & RLV Room, bike on the wall
I've given up on TTS for now after spending too much time trying to get both hardware and software to work, so am currently enjoying RLVs via the Tacx Video Player and a Tacx Booster, which is so far trouble free! I hope this'll get me through the cold Scottish winter months in some comfort and enjoyment.

Cheers

Jon

waywardcyclist

Post by waywardcyclist » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:42 am

Very nice Jon! I like your thinking. Good screen size too! I also shot at a wall for many years (after having a drop-down screen, but the wall solution is nice when you move around a lot) and once tried a different paint but it wasn't projector specific.
I've been checking out the W1080ST (US prices,UK prices, FR prices). It's probably the best option for Tacx RLV as it's currently the only 1080p short throw projector on the market (it's popularity will likely change that). I also checked the BenQ website and the W1080ST lens seems very strange to me since it wants to be either on the floor or, in my case, a few inches above the ceiling (contradicting any logic). So I understand your need for keystone adjustments. Nice to see that it works out in your space.

How's that Dyson fan?

My current setup is a few weeks from being reconstructed and I think I'll ultimately get the W1080ST to be used only for Tacx. I have a BenQ W6000 which is a little better video quality but the throw distance is long (18-21 feet / 5.5-6.5 meters) and the new layout will need the bike closer to the screen as I'm pretty far back now.

Before the room gets ripped apart, I'll post a few photos from yesterday for posterity and future comparison:

All the electronics are in a different room including the Mac but the mouse still works over the distance. I use Spotify for music (controlled with an Apple remote). The sound system isn't anything spectacular, 7.1 channel with 3 of the speakers behind the screen which is acoustically transparent. The ANT+ sensor is routed through the ceiling along with the HDMI cable and stays hidden above the projector permanently:

I got some feedback earlier about not having a fan. Picked up a small one with remote for about $30 USD. Most cooling is accomplished by opening a few windows. Room temp is usually 56-60F / 13-15C and combined with the fan, I don't typically sweat much as a result.

Neo and Genius, TTS 4.22, Macbook Pro (i7, 250GB SSD, 8GB ram, Win7/Bootcamp), BenQ W6000, 150" screen (380cm).
http://waywardcyclist.wordpress.com

Z74

Post by Z74 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:48 am

This is what I did instead to shield the neighbors below from the noise. :)

- 1 Carpet
- 1 Longer carpet, folded on itself to make 2 layers (so with the 1) it is 3 layers) just behind the feet of the Fortius so that there's no height difference between the feet behind and the feet ahead [the ones of the steering unit] which are lying on the 1).
- Plastic, waterproof, sheet (dark green).
- 2 layers of foam ahead and behind the iron bar that holds the brake unit (the part ahead is indented to avoid the wheel touching it
- 2 layers of foam, diagonal (on the side of the wheel
- Cardbox containing the motor unit with the following characteristics:

- 3 layers of foam in the bottom inside (with a hole to accomodate the screw head to tighten/release brake tension).
- 3 layers of foam behind
- 4 layers of foam on either side (left side has hole to make the plug attach to the motor unit)

The next version of my cardbox will have a PERFECT measure for the wheel so that the rubber remains inside (80% remains inside but I want it to be perfect!).

Building this was fun (and the neighbor is happy with the result). I think TacX should patent something similar because if you train 2 hours a day and you live in a condo like I do, the neighbors gonna go crazy after the noise.

Edgarini

Post by Edgarini » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:58 am

jscordia wrote:Hi folks, I also set myself up with a Benq w1080st and think its ideal for RLVs. I've got it ceiling mounted so am having to use keystoning. I can see there are focus issues as a result of keystoning when the Mac desktop is being projected, but when an RLV is being projected I can't see any negative issues, particularly given the reasonable cost of the projector. I looked at several drop down screens but ended up carefully painting the wall with a projection paint which works very well. All in all a worth while project and it really does enhance the RLV experience.
DSC_0147.jpg
I've given up on TTS for now after spending too much time trying to get both hardware and software to work, so am currently enjoying RLVs via the Tacx Video Player and a Tacx Booster, which is so far trouble free! I hope this'll get me through the cold Scottish winter months in some comfort and enjoyment.

Cheers

Jon
Hi Jon,

A ceiling mount for a short throw should not require keystoning. The way they work is that either the top or the bottom is lensed to essentially throw straight horizontal and the opposite to throw full angle (adjustable through the projector setup). Using the "ceiling mount" option in the setup, the topmost pixels project horizontal and the bottom are lensed at full angle to project an ~ rectangular image. Minor adjustments can be made through the lens (chip ?) angle adjustment, but a decent ceiling mount should render this unnecessary. Digital keystoning should be avoided at all costs, as then you'll no longer be running at true 1080p (i.e. one DLP mirror / 1 pixel at 1920 / 1080 resolution), which is very noticeable on large projections.

Get TTS working as the Player is way inferior re the "real" experience that this stuff brings, and your so close w/ your setup now.

Ed

jscordia

Post by jscordia » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi Edgarini, I hear what your'e saying re keystoning. I'll re-look at my setup. To put things into context the wide throw w1080st has made it possible at a reasonable cost to put a home cinema/RLV setup into a much smaller room than previously possible.

At this point in time I can't recommend it highly enough.

The room is an attic room, L shaped into a large dormer window, 4m by 4m along its longest sides but only 2.2m high. The projector sits on a proper ceiling mount as close to the ceiling as possible, and to set the image at a reasonable level off of the ceiling (which has a bow in it, we're in an 1880's building) I've dropped it and keystoned it only slightly. I notice when I have the Macbook Pro's desktop projected at 1080p that if I focus so the text at the top is pin sharp, its very very slightly out of focus at the bottom of the screen, and vice versa. If I focus to the middle of the screen, then switch to any HD video source I honestly don't notice any issues.

I managed to scrounge a used Bose Accoustimass 10 sound system and I got the Dyson fan on the last day of a high street chain going bust (feel a bit of a vulture!). The furniture's generally out of junk shops, reupholstered. As you can see from the work in progress images below (must tidy up those projector cables) the rest is Ikea: kitchen units stacked to form a storage wall. Ivd just finished filling in those triangles with cut door panels.

So all in all I have a pretty cost effective study, studio, exercise room and home cinema (er 'mancave') in what was a neglected attic room.

I do wish that the Tacx Video Player was a bit more able and agree with your comments on it's huge limitations vs TTS. However this set up WORKS and gets me breaking sweat and working hard. It gets me using my large collection of RLVs. My Fortius/TTS set up has just frustrated the h*ll out of me for the last 5 winder seasons in a row. (I have not totally given up though). I'm afraid to say that as a result of TTS's unreliability my exercise and training regime isn't exclusively Tacx. I've found some great iPad apps that also provide rowing 'RLV's' which connect to the Concept rower you see folded in the corner (Airplay via AppleTV to the projector) and I'm about to commit tomorrow to a 10 week indoor/outdoor Sufferfest training course.

One last wee DIY comment. Indoors the trainer does seem to shred the red trainer tyres all over the floor and up the IKEA units. The vinyl floor is sufficiently oil proof but those rubber flakes have an impressive static cling. Ive bodged up an old crud guard to the back of the trainer and this collects all the crap.

Thanks for your advice and interest guys!

Cheers

J

back wall 1.jpg
back wall 2.jpg

shadowmate

Post by shadowmate » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:54 pm

My Cycling Laboratory / Hurt Box / Pain Cave. The wife says i cant call it any of those things. So its called ... The Shed.

shadowmate

Post by shadowmate » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:14 pm

Couldn't get dropbox to work so had to get these from facebook.

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:38 pm

shadowmate wrote:Couldn't get dropbox to work so had to get these from facebook.
I use facebook all the time for this, just make a private album upload anything your friends will not want to see to that & right click to get a link to a perfectly sized image that will load dead fast!

You have a great place to ride! ownership of a official Tacx towel is the icing on the cake! :wink:

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:10 pm

Can I use these pics on our Facebook page? I see Cyclops are doing something like this but you guys will blitz them out of the water!

Nasz

Post by Nasz » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:33 am

Tacx Video Production wrote:Can I use these pics on our Facebook page? I see Cyclops are doing something like this but you guys will blitz them out of the water!
Time to take a few more shots then, as my man-cave/indoor velodrome has changed a little :p
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy

Old RLV TTS Files / RLV GE Routes / GPX Smoother / TTS4.x RLV Fix / Conconi Test / Training Plans, etc.,
http://www.lunicus.org/tacx.htm

SMC

Post by SMC » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:20 pm

You can use mine.

Scott

Tacx Video Production

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:30 pm

ah cheers, I figured as nobody objected I would just post it anyway! Seems to have generated some interest at least :wink:

jrstegeman

Post by jrstegeman » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Here's mine:
Bohzy95CIAECtJQ.jpg

Return to “Tacx Real Life Video”