Training zones power based

Anything about Power (watts)

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Tacx support

srjosepz

Training zones power based

Post by srjosepz » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:18 am

I see IMAP this the new way to calculate your training zones, best than heart rate zones, seems to be. What do you think about it?

And i see the way to calculate the zones with my i-magic, starting on over 100 watts and adding 20watts more for minute until you can't.

I see the tests says when you are at final power increase, you must spring all you can do, (if i am not wrong, because my English is not so good, and this part is not clear for me)

What is then my IMAP, the max power i can get at last entire minute, or the average power in the last minute sprinting???

Is my IMAP the same or near my anaerobic threshold??

I have a lot of questions about it, because i get my max heart rate at this last minute, so seems this power can't be near my anaerobic threshold...

Thanks

paolotom

Re: Training zones power based

Post by paolotom » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:22 pm

As far as I understand, you did a Conconi test or something similar.
Considering my experience and talking with other cyclists, I found that is very difficult to read Conconi test data and obtain relyable threshold values.

I found more symple and relyable to do this simple test (for more info take a look at the articles/forum of www.cruciblefitness.com):
10' easy spin
3 x (30"@110rpm/30"easy)
3x (2' steady effort/1' easy) then
20' best effort
2' easy
20' best effort
5' cooldown

The average power of (20'+2'+20') is a good estimate of your wattage and hr LTHR
This is also a nice 1h workout by itself.

Paolo

stevevinck

Post by stevevinck » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:40 pm

Go 20 minutes as hard as you can and deduct approx 5% that should give you a pretty good idea

read the book : training and racing with power , from A coggan if you want to train on power
I can recommend it !!

Kurtern

Re: Training zones power based

Post by Kurtern » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:29 am

srjosepz wrote:I see IMAP this the new way to calculate your training zones, best than heart rate zones, seems to be. What do you think about it?

And i see the way to calculate the zones with my i-magic, starting on over 100 watts and adding 20watts more for minute until you can't.

I see the tests says when you are at final power increase, you must spring all you can do, (if i am not wrong, because my English is not so good, and this part is not clear for me)

What is then my IMAP, the max power i can get at last entire minute, or the average power in the last minute sprinting???

Is my IMAP the same or near my anaerobic threshold??

I have a lot of questions about it, because i get my max heart rate at this last minute, so seems this power can't be near my anaerobic threshold...

Thanks
IMAP is the average watt last minute, not max power within last minute.
Gives you a good estimate about your VO2max.

A better test is "Critical power" calculation. Two independent tests. One is max average power between a given number of seconds between 60 - 180 and the other test between 15 . 30 minutes. A better estimate because your Anaerob capacity can influence very much on the 20 min test. Here you find a calculator at a Norwegian site.

http://www.sykkeltrening.no/kalkulatore ... power.html

Return to “Wattage”