Wattage i-genius vs neo

Anything about Power (watts)

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production

AE68

Wattage i-genius vs neo

Post by AE68 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:44 am

I have upgraded from an i-genius to tacx neo just recently. I did all my ftp testing on the i-genius with the right calibration. Ftp was not out of reality and I managed to keep training in my zones without problems. The ftp was sort of confirmed by Strava which offers a calculated ftp based on your rides (using a stages crank). This calculated one was the same as the one I received with the test.

Now with the neo, I find it nearly impossible to keep in the former zones. Whereas I was able to keep 2,5w/kg with the i-genius for 3 hours I am killing myself with the neo. I have not done a new ftp test (dreadful) but in comparison I am app 20% less powerful.

Is it possible that the reading is so different between the trainers? Did I make a mistake in our have I simply lost 20% of my ftp in spite of following a balanced program over the last 3 months?

Quite frustrating I must say.

Walter9649

Re: Wattage i-genius vs neo

Post by Walter9649 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:06 pm

I seem to have the same issue. I also upgraded from a genius to a Neo. Last night my wife rode on the genius and me on the Neo. It was impossible to keep up with her on zwift. In the Dutch part of the forum people are also having the same problem. It's almost impossible to join a race or group ride now.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:19 am

Did you calibrate the Genius after warming up the brake? Is the Neo on the latest firmware?

lalacurf121

Post by lalacurf121 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:55 am

It is very useful at all I like this Kathu

bonoman68

Post by bonoman68 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:38 am

Same problem switched from vortex neo to T2800 neo, i can't keep up , it feels like i have to make 30-40% more power to generate same wattage.

roarmo1972

Post by roarmo1972 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:15 pm

I have a Genius smart with a power meter paired. Genius shows much more wattage in slope below 0%, it reports sometimes 100-150 Watt more!, but in climbs it reports more correct, between 5-10% more than the power meter.

In Zwift it reports way too high. If you do average 300W with Genius watt, its not more than 220-230W with powermeter.

I have tested this many times, and I always calibrated correct before test.

NEO reports more correct and within a few percent.

roarmo1972

Post by roarmo1972 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:32 pm

Testruns - Genius vs Power Meter

Date Duration avgSpeed Avg HR Avg Watt
2016.01.25 01:03:56 37,76 152 255 - With Power Meter
2015.12.14 01:04:22 37,51 128 303 - Genius Watt

MalMac65

Post by MalMac65 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:48 pm

I recently bought a Tacx Neo and have had similar issues to you. It immediately felt "harder" than my previous setup to maintain the power level I previously used from FTP tests. I cross tested the Neo connecting it to my Garmin whilst connecting my Quarq Dzero to Zwift so that it would control the Neo. The Neo was reporting 15w less to my Garmin than what Zwift/Quarq was telling me. So at 190, 255 and 280w the Neo power meter was reporting 175, 240 and 265w respectively. This means that if I use the Neo power meter to report to Zwift which then sets the resistance on the Neo I would have output an extra 15w more to achieve the same level I was prior to using the Neo. My outdoor results and my previous Zwift results are closely matched whereas now my outdoor results exceed my reported indoor training results using the Neo. It's a disappointing outcome for me. Also just would just like to point out that the wattage difference always seems to be about 15w no matter if it at 100w or 400w. This says to me that the "slope" on my Neo is accurate but the offset is wrong. It's starting out 15w to low in comparison to my Quarq Dzero. Don't know ho to correct this other to accept the fact that indoors I'll have to ride and workout to a 15w lower FTP. But the big issue comes when you want to race on Zwift. You are then at a disadvantage essentially losing 15w in power which can make a big difference when you're on the limit.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:51 pm

MalMac65 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:48 pm
I recently bought a Tacx Neo and have had similar issues to you. It immediately felt "harder" than my previous setup to maintain the power level I previously used from FTP tests. I cross tested the Neo connecting it to my Garmin whilst connecting my Quarq Dzero to Zwift so that it would control the Neo. The Neo was reporting 15w less to my Garmin than what Zwift/Quarq was telling me. So at 190, 255 and 280w the Neo power meter was reporting 175, 240 and 265w respectively. This means that if I use the Neo power meter to report to Zwift which then sets the resistance on the Neo I would have output an extra 15w more to achieve the same level I was prior to using the Neo. My outdoor results and my previous Zwift results are closely matched whereas now my outdoor results exceed my reported indoor training results using the Neo. It's a disappointing outcome for me. Also just would just like to point out that the wattage difference always seems to be about 15w no matter if it at 100w or 400w. This says to me that the "slope" on my Neo is accurate but the offset is wrong. It's starting out 15w to low in comparison to my Quarq Dzero. Don't know ho to correct this other to accept the fact that indoors I'll have to ride and workout to a 15w lower FTP. But the big issue comes when you want to race on Zwift. You are then at a disadvantage essentially losing 15w in power which can make a big difference when you're on the limit.
Tacx does not closely monitor the forum, so I would suggest you send this well-thought out observation to support@tacx.com to see if they have any comments or suggestions.

Return to “Wattage”