Wrong wattage

Anything about Power (watts)

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production

dm001681

Wrong wattage

Post by dm001681 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:14 am

I just got my Vortex all setup and have found the wattage reading on the iPhone app and also when I connect to Zwift is low. I am comparing to the Quarq I have installed on my bike. I have correctly calibrated the unit to be perfectly in the middle and have also verified that I have 110 psi in my tire. The wattage is exponentially low, as the power increases the difference between the Quarq and the Vortex become larger. No need to debate if my Quarq is right or not, I've been riding long enough to know that the Vortex is low. Thanks for the help!

dm001681

Re: Wrong wattage

Post by dm001681 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:31 pm

Ok I rode the Vortex again this morning and noticed a few things. The wattage is low at near flat gradient however when the gradient changes to go uphill (+4% or higher) the power gets much closer to being accurate. In fact at 7% gradient it actually showed higher than my power meter. So, the gradient appears to have something to do with the way it is reading.

I also noticed that the cadence is low as well, by about 20 rpm. Related I'm guessing?

Andyw259

Post by Andyw259 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:43 pm

I have the same problem. I have emailed twice with no response.

I have done some reading online and I am thinking maybe I need the new Firmware update. Although I see some people have had a problem with this and have not been able to use it afterwards with a flashing orange light.

Although my power never reads above 190 watts at least I can still use it!

dm001681

Post by dm001681 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:10 pm

The first thing I did after I got the Vortex was to update the firmware so I don't think that is the issue.

tweed

Post by tweed » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:32 pm

I am having the same problem with an iVortex. It began about 2 or 3 updates ago. Wattage on climbs is now reporting at 50 to 60(???). Seemed fairly accurate before but is very off now. Everything else is calibrated and is proper tire pressure, clean roller and training tire.

nivito

Post by nivito » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:46 am

Same to me, the readings in the ivortex are 30% lower than my bike power meter. Any idea how to solve this?

StefanG

Post by StefanG » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:46 pm

I'm having same issues (low power readings on Vortex). I see lots of similar posts about the subject, but don't see any resolutions. Curious if Tacx has responded, acknowledged the issue.

Note: I didn't have this problem last year. First time riding the trainer this year, just upgraded to latest firmware, and now having this problem.

oestergreen

Post by oestergreen » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:23 pm

StefanG wrote:I'm having same issues (low power readings on Vortex). I see lots of similar posts about the subject, but don't see any resolutions. Curious if Tacx has responded, acknowledged the issue.

Note: I didn't have this problem last year. First time riding the trainer this year, just upgraded to latest firmware, and now having this problem.
I am having exactly the same problems with my Bushido Smart. Last year (in the winter) it worked fine, but having upgraded the firmware recently in order to be compatible with Zwift, the power readings have gone way down. I tested it alongside my trusty old Powertap, which clearly confirmed that Bushido is way off. Bushido was showing watt readings about 20-30 watts below the Powertap (about 10% off since I was putting out about 250 watts).

I guess Tacx will never respond if I email them (yes, I know about their appaling level of customer "support"), but maybe someone on this forum knows if it is possible to downgrade the firmware? If not, then I guess I can do nothing else than wait for a firmware upgrade, hoping it will correct the problem ... without creating new ones :-(

jesmol

Post by jesmol » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:20 am

I think I may have cracked the problem on my Vortex smart.

Make sure the brake is mounted correctly. Both the rear mount and front block (the one the bolts go through) should be in position 2 for a 700 x 23c tyre. Mine didn't didn't have the ability to see where the steel plate was on the front block. So I drill a couple of small holes to see where the plate was.

I calibrate the unit quite tightly, and then back off the resistance about 1/2 to 1 turn without recalibrating.

Its better , but not a perfect match

oestergreen

Post by oestergreen » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:52 am

jesmol wrote:I think I may have cracked the problem on my Vortex smart.

Make sure the brake is mounted correctly. Both the rear mount and front block (the one the bolts go through) should be in position 2 for a 700 x 23c tyre. Mine didn't didn't have the ability to see where the steel plate was on the front block. So I drill a couple of small holes to see where the plate was.

I calibrate the unit quite tightly, and then back off the resistance about 1/2 to 1 turn without recalibrating.

Its better , but not a perfect match
I followed your instructions, and on my first test ride the watt readings seemed to be back to normal :-)

Thanks a lot!

dekeen16

Post by dekeen16 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:08 pm

I was having a power discrepancy issue on my Vortex smart, only the Smart was reading 15-20 watts too high (as compared to my Garmin Vectors). I found that if I calibrated the unit (in TrainerRoad) in the small chain ring and did not shift gears, the power matched fairly well. All went to heck once I would shift gears however.

Return to “Wattage”