Neo power VS Stages

Anything about Power (watts)

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt

TheOneTheNeo

Re: Neo power VS Stages

Post by TheOneTheNeo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:09 pm

I also have this issue between NEO and Garmin Vector 2 pedals power output.

I love my new Neo for the most part, the smoothness, low-noise, and no-slippage are all amazing changes vs the bushido smart.

However, I noticed right away on my first Zwift ride that the standard 200W definitely felt tougher than normal. After seeing the rave reviews about accuracy I hadn't considered comparing to my Garmin Vector 2 power-meter pedals (which are also said to be quite accurate, when set-up correctly).
Decided to compare the power output in Zwift/NEO to my Garmin 820/Garmin Vector 2s. Sure enough, my Garmin Vector 2 pedals consistently report about 10W higher than the NEO.

So, this begs the question: is there an issue with the Garmin Vectors? (firmware is up-to-date and always calibrated pre-ride) or with the NEO?

My gear-train is pretty clean, I find it quite unlikely, that it's sapping 10W - would expect at most 2-3W.

I am very loathe to send in my NEO, due to weight, shipping costs, etc. Garmin Vectors are out of warranty.

While it is nice to hear I am not the only one with this "issue" it is a bit disheartening after shelling out a lot of cash on a new trainer.

Tacx Video Production

Re: Neo power VS Stages

Post by Tacx Video Production » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:38 pm

TheOneTheNeo wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:09 pm
I also have this issue between NEO and Garmin Vector 2 pedals power output.

I love my new Neo for the most part, the smoothness, low-noise, and no-slippage are all amazing changes vs the bushido smart.

However, I noticed right away on my first Zwift ride that the standard 200W definitely felt tougher than normal. After seeing the rave reviews about accuracy I hadn't considered comparing to my Garmin Vector 2 power-meter pedals (which are also said to be quite accurate, when set-up correctly).
Decided to compare the power output in Zwift/NEO to my Garmin 820/Garmin Vector 2s. Sure enough, my Garmin Vector 2 pedals consistently report about 10W higher than the NEO.

So, this begs the question: is there an issue with the Garmin Vectors? (firmware is up-to-date and always calibrated pre-ride) or with the NEO?

My gear-train is pretty clean, I find it quite unlikely, that it's sapping 10W - would expect at most 2-3W.

I am very loathe to send in my NEO, due to weight, shipping costs, etc. Garmin Vectors are out of warranty.

While it is nice to hear I am not the only one with this "issue" it is a bit disheartening after shelling out a lot of cash on a new trainer.
Drive chain loss is widely thought to be about 3-4% at regular 200-300 power range so 10watts sound just about spot on accurate when comparing a pedal based to a hub based power meter.

Return to “Wattage”