Brake calibration in Flow

Anything about Power (watts)

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Tacx support

vladber

Brake calibration in Flow

Post by vladber » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi ,

I try to make a brake calibration of my new Flow tariner .After word STOP appears and I stop to pedal a new calibration value shows up on a display .

What this value should be ? Changing a pressure between rear wheel and roller I got values between -4 till +1 .

/Vlad.

mcorn

Re: Brake calibration in Flow

Post by mcorn » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:26 pm

In the online manual to TTS3, it indicates between -3 and +3. I think mine is more than 0. The most important thing is it is tight enough to keep the tire from slipping on hills. Be sure the brake is warmed up for 15 minutes or so before calibrating. Typically, a cold brake will show too high of a calibration.

I hardly ever recalibrate after an initial calibration, but you have to be sure to keep the tire pressure the same as it affects calibration.

Here is the manual link:

http://www.tacx.com/Media/Default/Manua ... gen_en.pdf

vladber

Post by vladber » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:38 am

Hi ,

I have T2200 model . Provided that tire is tight on a roller I may tune any from +3 till -3 . So , may I treat +1 + 2 as optimal ?

/Vlad.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:24 pm

You are probably at the correct calibration. You want to have enough tension that the tire does not slip, but not so much that you are putting excessive wear on the bearings. The specific calibration value that you end up with should have no effect on the reported wattage or performance of the trainer as long as the calibration procedure is followed correctly and the trainer is calibrated when the system is warm (and all other variables like tire pressure are kept constant). The purpose of calibration is to measure the drag in the system so it can correctly calculate wattage, so there is no optimal value.

P.S. See my other response on your upgrade. I may have misunderstood what model you have. I assumed you had a PC-interfaced system rather than the self-contained one. I am not completely sure what the recommended calibration values are for the T2200, but all of the above principles still apply.

whiskywheels

Post by whiskywheels » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:35 pm

vladber wrote:Hi ,

I have T2200 model . Provided that tire is tight on a roller I may tune any from +3 till -3 . So , may I treat +1 + 2 as optimal ?

/Vlad.
I have the T2220, which I think has the same brake unit. My instructions say the calibration value should be between 0 & 2.
And also;
1. Make sure that the roller is pressed against the tyre without pressure. Turn the black button 3,5x around completely (the tyre is then firmly placed against the roller).
2. Make sure that the pressure of the tyre is always between 7 and 8 bar.
3. The tyre can be worn. For powerful training sessions we advise you to use a Tacx trainer tyre.
4. It is also advised to regularly clean and degrease the tyre and the trainer roller, for example with vinegar or white spirit, to avoid slipping.
5. Make sure that after cycling the roller and tyre are being disconnected from each other.

Turning the adjusting nut anti-clockwise moves roller closer to tyre so creating more pressure & higher calibration figure.
Excelling at mediocrity for 61 years.

Tacx i-flow multiplayer with steering frame, TTS4 advanced, always updated
Win 8 Pro 64bit, Intel i5 2.5 GHz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GeoForce GT 630M

mattperry

Post by mattperry » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi can anyone help. bought a flow trainer and bought pc head unit upgrade. Have installed it all and made sure I have the latest software but I cannot get the pc head unit to calibrate. it says start pedalling but it does not show my speed. I put the unit that came with the flow on to see a comparison and that worked showing my speed etc, but when I put the pc head unit on it does not register the brake, speed etc, so I cant use the vr or anything on the software. Can anyone help. On the head unit all the lights are on and its shows as connected on the settings

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:05 am

mattperry wrote:Hi can anyone help. bought a flow trainer and bought pc head unit upgrade. Have installed it all and made sure I have the latest software but I cannot get the pc head unit to calibrate. it says start pedalling but it does not show my speed. I put the unit that came with the flow on to see a comparison and that worked showing my speed etc, but when I put the pc head unit on it does not register the brake, speed etc, so I cant use the vr or anything on the software. Can anyone help. On the head unit all the lights are on and its shows as connected on the settings
Which model head unit do you have and what version of the software are you using?

janapetaccia

Post by janapetaccia » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:57 pm

mcorn wrote:
mattperry wrote:Hi can anyone help. bought a flow trainer and bought pc head unit upgrade. Have installed it all and made sure I have the latest software but I cannot get the pc head unit to calibrate. it says start pedalling but it does not show my speed. I put the unit that came with the flow on to see a comparison and that worked showing my speed etc, but when I put the pc head unit on it does not register the brake, speed etc, so I cant use the vr or anything on the software. Can anyone help. On the head unit all the lights are on and its shows as connected on the settings
Which model head unit do you have and what version of the software are you using?
i am having the same problem, cant calibrate the iflow after upgrades on software..

Return to “Wattage”