Measuring FTP on a Bushido without TTS

Anything about Power (watts)

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Tacx support

Slogfester

Measuring FTP on a Bushido without TTS

Post by Slogfester » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:36 am

I have just got a Bushido but do not at the moment have TTS. What is the best way to test my FTP using the head unit only (which annoyingly does not record data after you finished the workout).
Thanks

Johnnyc

Post by Johnnyc » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:14 pm

I'd do a warm up first, then calibrate the head unit.

Then just set up a program e.g. slope time.

The slope isn't important - but the time is. You can either go for a 20minute or 60 minute session - I'd personally go for a 20 minute effort myself.

The Head unit displays the average watts - so just keep an eye on this towards the end of the session.

Your FTP will be 95% of your 20 minute power - but make sure you give it your all and that you have nothing left in the tank after 20 minutes!

Alternatively, just do 60 minutes flat out to get your FTP - good luck!

Don't forget to have a good warm down too!

Slogfester

Post by Slogfester » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:47 am

I now have TTS, so am planning to do this test ASAP.

If I set route 1 as a 20 min warmup, then route 2 for 20 mins say at 3%, plus route 3 warm down for 20 mins, will TTS analyser give me the average wattage for route 2 alone?

5bikes

Post by 5bikes » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:13 pm

You could also use PerfPro.
Do any (hard) training on your bushido and import the data to PerfPro.
(before, you should export to hrm, thats how I do it)
PerfPro can calculate the FTP, even for a sequence of several trainings/days/weeks, in order to check your improvement.

Slogfester

Post by Slogfester » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:23 pm

5bikes: thanks will try perfpro.
is the HR data essential? unfortuanetly i can not currently get my Bushido head unit (and/or TTS) to pick up signal from my Polar HR (wearlink 31 coded) belt

Johnnyc

Post by Johnnyc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:19 am

Slogfester wrote:5bikes: thanks will try perfpro.
is the HR data essential? unfortuanetly i can not currently get my Bushido head unit (and/or TTS) to pick up signal from my Polar HR (wearlink 31 coded) belt
The HR gives an indication of how hard you are working - but it's such a variable. It can be fluctuate from week to week, or day to day, depending on your training workload, stress etc. But you can get some generalisations over time with HR - like how it should respond if you are feeling fresh.

For the 20 minute test - I think wattage is a good training tool - more reliable than HR. You just need to give your best effort for 20 minutes - don't make the classic mistake of setting off too hard and then hanging on for dear life at the end. Start steady and then gradually build up. E.g. I started at 275 Watts for a test tonight and then stepped it up to 280Watts 5 minutes later. I knew this would be right for me and looking at my HR doing a flat line at 199bpm sort of confirmed this!!! I finished with a 281W average - and I was pretty wrecked - you forget what race efforts are like....well I do!

Slogfester

Post by Slogfester » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:58 am

Johnnyc: i was asking if HR data is needed for PerfPRO's analysis because I evidently have a faulty (Bushido) head unit that can't pick up HR. #

Anyway, I did the test today. Basically I just did a time/slope 3 route course (20 mins warmup, 20 mins flat out [at 3%], 20 mins warm down) and then used the clipboard function of TTS/Analyse/data and worked out average watts for the 20 mins in a spreadsheet. Not sure if this accurate, but the figure (266 watts) seemed about right. Especially because, this being the first time I'd done anything like this, I made the classic mistake of goign out too hard. Next time I'll know better and have a baseline figure to work with.

thanks

5bikes

Post by 5bikes » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 pm

I did not try it without heart rate, but I guess PerfPro works also without HR. But with it makes more sense.
Of course you set before your training heart rate ON in TTS?

Return to “Wattage”