Catalyst Watt Programme - Power not changing

Anything about Power (watts)

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Tacx support

sgdiesel

Catalyst Watt Programme - Power not changing

Post by sgdiesel » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:17 pm

I have set up a Watt / Time program on my system, which is a Basic with the T1925 upgrade.

Despite some difficulty getting it to work, I believe I am making a lot more progress. The biggest breakthrough came with using the Test software so no idea why Tacx don't publicise this more?

Anyway, I have set up a Watts / Time program in Catalyst. Apart from serious questions over the reported power which I will resolve with calibration once I have run it more, my main issue at this stage is that the power is not changing automatically at the end of each timed route.

When testing the system using the test software the resistance did change automatically so why not in Catalyst??

sgdiesel

Post by sgdiesel » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:41 pm

Still no response which is somewhat frustrating

I spent a lot of time on this today. When setting up a slope / time programme in Catalyst it does exactly what I would expect, and changes very sweetly between routes. When I try the same with Watss / Time it sets the first Wattage (and even then it varies hugely with Cadance) but does not change at all even though the graphic shows a different wattage

Tried everything, calibration, tire pressure, checked cadance, I even tried begging an pleading with the device - NOTHING!!

swfboschma

Post by swfboschma » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi,

When doing the training, you get a power progress bar. Is this progress bar at maximum level? If so, you have to change gears to be able to increase the power.

The minimum and maximum power the trainers can handle is depending on the speed you are traveling. (wheel speed) When setting a surtain Watt's that amount of power needs to be between the limits of the minimum and maximum power the trainer can handle for the traveling speed.

If you are traveling at a low speed and set the power to a very value that is higher than the maximum power it can deliver for that speed, the maximum power you will get, is the upper limit for that speed. Yhis can been seen in the progress bar that is in the red zone.

To be able to have the Watt's you want, gear up for extra watt's or gear down if you deliver way to much power. When the correct speed is travelled, you see a stable power readings. If you travel a little bit faster, the trainer will loosen the friction to keep up to the power you selected.

sgdiesel

Post by sgdiesel » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:43 pm

Thank you for your response, I will try this out

I know the response to any changes on cadence is instantaneous and noticeable when I use the basic computer yet I do not seem to get anything like that with this system, but at least you have given me something to aim for

Best regards

sgdiesel

Post by sgdiesel » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:02 pm

Does anyone have the power vs speed performance for the electrobrake. I would like to get a better understanding of which gear is ideal for a certain power at a specific cadence?

5bikes

Post by 5bikes » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:38 pm

For me it just worked at low power level <250 Watts.
Above ist was not possible to cycle at a "constant" power level, esp. if the cadence is low.

sgdiesel

Post by sgdiesel » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:10 pm

5bikes wrote:For me it just worked at low power level <250 Watts.
Above ist was not possible to cycle at a "constant" power level, esp. if the cadence is low.
Interesting observations. The part i don't understand is that I upgraded from the basic computer and the power function appeared to work quite well with that?

5bikes

Post by 5bikes » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:15 pm

Sorry. What do you mean? After an PC upgrade you experience a better power" function?

sgdiesel

Post by sgdiesel » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:02 pm

5bikes wrote:Sorry. What do you mean? After an PC upgrade you experience a better power" function?
No, I upgraded the Tacx Basic controller. I used to train at fixed power settings with that and I have to say I felt the power control was considerably more responsive and also much closer to the figures I experience on the road.

I have now upgraded to TTS and I am thoroughly disappointed with the performance I get in power control from this software as well.

I am about to get a power meter fitted to my bike and I will calibrate and compare using this device, but I remain unconvinced

Return to “Wattage”