Actual Ride (Garmin) vs. TACX?

Anything about Power (watts)

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Tacx support

thebug

Actual Ride (Garmin) vs. TACX?

Post by thebug » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:49 pm

Importing KML and TCX files from the Garmin into TTS has never been easier - - Thanks TACX!
Has anyone compared the stats from the real ride (Garmin) vs. the TACX TTS Analyzer stats? What I'm finding is that with the TTS they seem to be about 10 - 20 % easier (less time, faster speed, etc.). I know I can try adjusting the TTS, but just wondering what other experiences people are having. BTW - these are rides with maximum gradients of 16%.

Tacx Video Production

Re: Actual Ride (Garmin) vs. TACX?

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:14 pm

thebug wrote:Importing KML and TCX files from the Garmin into TTS has never been easier - - Thanks TACX!
Has anyone compared the stats from the real ride (Garmin) vs. the TACX TTS Analyzer stats? What I'm finding is that with the TTS they seem to be about 10 - 20 % easier (less time, faster speed, etc.). I know I can try adjusting the TTS, but just wondering what other experiences people are having. BTW - these are rides with maximum gradients of 16%.
This is because road friction is not yet added to the maths in TTS, I should be in with the next update at least for RLV.

mcorn

Re: Actual Ride (Garmin) vs. TACX?

Post by mcorn » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:40 pm

thebug wrote:Importing KML and TCX files from the Garmin into TTS has never been easier - - Thanks TACX!
Yes, I have imported gpx files from my own rides captured on a Garmin and my experience has been the same as yours, which I have reported to Tacx. I have a PowerTap on my Fortius, so I am able to keep the wattage reasonably accurate. Even so, the Fortius is too fast on flats and uphills, but it is too slow on downhills (due to an excessive aero drag factor). Unlike Phil, I am not 100% convinced that the road surface is the only factor, but as we all know rough, chipseal surfaces can be very slow compared to smooth asphalt. The Tacx algorithm might be a little too optimistic on not only road surface, but also aero drag.

Given my prior remark about Fortius being too slow on downhills, my comment about aero drag might seem like a contradiction. However, I have a feeling that Tacx is using a different drag factor on downhills than it uses on the flats and uphills, although this may only be speculation on my part.

Andre77ab

Post by Andre77ab » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:20 pm

When is planned to be released?

Andy

PeterDK

Post by PeterDK » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:41 pm

same performace experienced here, done on several mountain stages

br,
Peter

Return to “Wattage”