Vortex resistance, ftp and power

Anything about Power (watts)

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Tacx support

Tocalosh

Vortex resistance, ftp and power

Post by Tocalosh » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:33 am

I’ve just picked up a vortex 2nd hand, having done a turbo session with my cycling club I found the resistance on the heavy side, putting out a reported 45w flat out. My ftp is 213. Does it store ftp from its previous owner? Should I be using it without power with my garmin s/c sensors on. Do I need to do a new ftp test using the tacx app and if I do will it store my data within the trainer itself. I’m a little confused as you can tell. Can someone please explain the set up process. It’s already calibrated. Thanks

ms6073

Re: Vortex resistance, ftp and power

Post by ms6073 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:02 pm

What application was used when you observed the 45w? Assuming this is a Vortex Smart, have you checked the Tacx Utility app to see if the Vortex has the latest firmware? From your description, it sounds as if either the resistance unit is mounted in the wrong holes or the friction adjustment is too tight, and the roller is applying to much tension, so I would suggest you also take a look at the following support articles for proper setup and calibration:

Wheel/Tyre setup
Calibration and power measurement
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64 | Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz | GeForce GTX 870M
Samsung 32" LED TV

Tocalosh

Re: Vortex resistance, ftp and power

Post by Tocalosh » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:23 am

I was free riding, no app, yes it’s the vortex smart and it was calibrated as per the app and running the latest firmware. I think having used it a couple of times since you need to spin it up as hard as you can to get it to overcome the initial resistance of the roller

Return to “Wattage”