Watt on NEO about 3 seconds delay

Anything about Power (watts)

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Tacx support

kalleonthebike

Watt on NEO about 3 seconds delay

Post by kalleonthebike » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:58 pm

I'm using the Tacx utility app to figure out whats wrong.
Video showing the issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX-aj_9o2PM

The rpm reading is responsive and accurate when I start pedaling. When I stop pedaling (free wheeling) the trainer, naturally, cannot tell if i'm pedaling slowely or if I have come to a complete stop. That seems alright.
The problem is with the Watt reading. When I stop pedaling and free wheeling, the power input is clearly zero. The trainer doesn't get this until about 3 seconds later. Similarly, when I start pedaling there is a delay of power. This makes, for example, Zwift a terrible experience.

Tacx support tells me that the delay is about inertia.
My respons to TACX support: I appreciate that your trainer emulates the inertia of a bike in motion, but this has nothing to do with the measurement of power...

Whats your experience? Is this how it should be???

Alex Masalovich

Re: Watt on NEO about 3 seconds delay

Post by Alex Masalovich » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:19 am

To measure the power in the trainers are not used strain gauges. Therefore, the power calculation is not instantaneous.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

Sorvoll

Post by Sorvoll » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:20 pm

I can´t see any thing unusual in your video. The power will not go down to zero immediately, there is always a bit of delay/"smoothing". Without some delay would your watt go up/down to much to be useful because you are not producing power around the whole pedal stroke, normaly only during your downstroke. Without a delay/smoothing would it show close to two times during one pedalstroke.

kalleonthebike

Post by kalleonthebike » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:09 pm

I agree that some moving average thing from the variable power readings is appropriate. The thing is that power doesn't go to zero until about 3 seconds. This makes, for example, drafting in Zwift very difficult.
I was running at about 90 rpm, that is, 1.5 round per second. This gives us 9 strokes during the 3 seconds.

Anyone else that find that 9 strokes delay is a long delay? Normal?
Do you find it difficult to draft in Zwift?

Thanks

Return to “Wattage”