Taxc Smart Flow 2240

Anything about Power (watts)

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production

AndyB72

Taxc Smart Flow 2240

Post by AndyB72 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:08 am

Hi all,
Finally took the plunge and purchased last week. It seems I am not alone with resistance issues even calibrating every which way possible. This device certainly requires much more effort than in real life to attain a given speed. I seem to be 50 watts over!
Is anyone else experiencing this sort of issue where the trainer is requiring much more effort than in real life. I currently have an FTP of over 300 w and I struggle to achieve 250 watts for longer than minutes on this!
Like I said, calibrated as per various instructions, it all synce up and connect via bluetooth or ant and is great with Zwift but I feel I am losing out on the experience compared to my old elite trainer.

Any advice most appreciated.

thanks

ms6073

Re: Taxc Smart Flow 2240

Post by ms6073 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:49 pm

Setting to much roller tension will artificially inflate resistance. What application did you use to calibrate? With the Tacx applications, the calibration function presents a horizontal scale in which a middle of the green zone would seem to be a logical target, but Tacx has advised that anywhere in the green zone is acceptable. Realistically, for heavier, more powerful riders, many have reported a calibration that is further to the right prevents slipping, where as lighter riders tend to find left of center calibrations to be more suitable. While the image below is for a legacy Bushido, that far left calibration value resulted in a very consistent power output that was within 1-3 watts of my SRM during Watt/Time workouts in TTS and the Tacx Cycling app.

TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:32 pm

Such a calibration with low value is one more plus. I think this increases the service life of tires and trainer.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

mucher

Post by mucher » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:07 am

I have the same problem - wattage is under-reported. While doing calibration, I am on the left side of the green bar, yet the power values are still too low. In the image you can see the difference - cyan is PM power (Bepro pedals), purple - Flow Smart power. I tried graphing and it seems to be around 8%.

E_lexy

Post by E_lexy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:49 am

I am experiencing the same. I don't have any exact numbers yet or am able to plot chart like you did. What software did you use?

I am have a RotoR Inpower on my race bike (MTB) and recently bought the Flow smart. When I have my race bike on the trainer I saw anywhere between 10-15 watts difference, around 200.250 watts. I changed out the bike because my single chain ring (32) setup made it difficult to get enough speed on the rear wheel for the resistance to go over 250-ish watts. The bike I have on the trainer now, doesn't have a powermeter.
In my last

FTP test i got 267 and have been training pretty hard since. Yesterday I did one on the trainer setup, with my old bike and got 250..

I want to go back and retry a proper tire warm up and calibration on the lower end of the scale, as advised by someone here.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:31 pm

E_lexy wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:49 am
What software did you use?
This is probably the Golden Cheetah:
http://www.goldencheetah.org/
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

Return to “Wattage”