Resistance on Satori Smart too high

Satori, Swing, Sirius, Speedmatic, Rollers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Tacx support, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

Dlite

Resistance on Satori Smart too high

Post by Dlite » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi,
Ive just received my new Satori Smart. Was really excited to get it eventually. But now Ive set it up and the resistance seems to high.
I am having trouble calibrating the Tax Satori Smart.
I cannot get up to 40km. It seems as though resistance 1 is to high and cannot get anywhere near 40km.
My tyre is 8bar, and is just touching the unit. So its can’t be that the tyre and unit are to close.

Any ideas on how to fix this???

Alex Masalovich

Re: Resistance on Satori Smart too high

Post by Alex Masalovich » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:49 pm

Try different position of the resistance unit.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

sehf

Post by sehf » Mon May 01, 2017 7:45 pm

I have just purchased a Satori Smart and have exactly the same problem. Unless I was Chris Hoy on steroids, I can't see any way of getting to 40 kmh to calibrate the unit!

It seems that loads of people have this problem and there appears to have been little or no response from Tacx themselves. Why don't they just modify their app so that we can calibrate at a lower speed?

I'm even considering the drastic measure of taking the resistance unit apart and removing the magnet in order to calibrate.

Does anyone have a solution? Difference positions of the unit don't seem to make a difference.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue May 02, 2017 9:15 am

How did you set different positions of the brake? Would be odd if changing brake position makes no difference at all. The two main reasons for calibration errors on the non-motorised trainers are a) the brake sits in the wrong slots and b) the screw setting is way off at the start. To check a), you will need to remove the brake unit from the trainer frame and check whether the brake sits in the proper slots for your wheel diameter (see the manual for what are the proper slots for your wheel - standard 23-622 race bike wheels are slots no. 2). If you haven't already done so, this also would be a good time to wedge something small and solid into the unused slots to prevent the from breaking when receiving too much load. For b), the old recipe for a halfway useful starting point for calibration is: Move the brake lever up (which removes the brake from the wheel) and turn the screw below the lever clockwise to further remove the brake from the wheel. Then, move the lever down and turn the screw counter-clockwise until the brake roller just touches the wheel. (If you have a new tyre on the wheel, you will need to go a bit further.) Then, move the lever up again and turn the screw counter-clockwise for two and a half rotations more. Move the lever down, warm up the brake by cycling for 10 or 15 minutes and then calibrate. Optimise calibration by adjusting the screw in quarter-turn steps if necessary.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue May 02, 2017 11:35 am

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:15 am
see the manual for what are the proper slots for your wheel - standard 23-622 race bike wheels are slots no. 2). If you haven't already done so, this also would be a good time to wedge something small and solid into the unused slots to prevent the from breaking when receiving too much load.
In this model, this is not so.
satori-position.jpg
http://tacx.com/support/manuals/trainer ... manual.pdf
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue May 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Of course, you're right,.... Satori.

sehf

Post by sehf » Sat May 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Dlite wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:57 pm
Hi,
Ive just received my new Satori Smart. Was really excited to get it eventually. But now Ive set it up and the resistance seems to high.
I am having trouble calibrating the Tax Satori Smart.
I cannot get up to 40km. It seems as though resistance 1 is to high and cannot get anywhere near 40km.
My tyre is 8bar, and is just touching the unit. So its can’t be that the tyre and unit are to close.

Any ideas on how to fix this???
I too have had this problem and wrote to Tacx support. They have now acknowledged that there is a calibration issue with the Satori Smart and the Tacx Cycle App. i.e. is it pretty well impossible to get to 40kph due the the resistance curve on the Satori. So, they are modifying the app to allow calibration to take place at 30kph instead.

They couldn't give me an exact timescale, but did confirm that the revised software is being tested now. Whilst this won't change the relatively high resistance of the Satori even at setting 1, it should allow correct use of the App. for workout and monitoring etc.

Return to “Cycletrainers - Rollers”